OK OK I concede to protein powder

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I give up I cant get enough protein through my diet alone. Ugh not excited about having to add an extra 100 calories to my diet plus more if I add milk, but my hair has started falling off in clumps and that was the first thing my doctor said to me was are you getting enough protein.

With that in mind, suggestions for high protein, low carbohydrate and low calorie protein supplement that tastes great. I have a 5lb bag of whey protein that I have to start using yuck, and then I can get the good stuff.

Replies

• kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb is the best tasting one I have found. I love all the flavors, but especially the Tropical Dreamsicle, Chocolate, Pina Colada, and Strawberry flavors.
  • DollShannon
    Options
    BUMP
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ooh so you're going to try a%$ in a bag? :laugh:

anyway, sorry to hear about your hair ...

i like GNC gold standard.all flavors i've tried have been delicious. i actually just made a protein powder smoothie/ frozen yogurt protein powder treat with it. the texture is like sorbet and it's delicious.

to mask the taste of the bad stuff throw other stuff in and CHUG it like you're doing funnels at a party
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Whey from Walmart, strawberry flavored, I mix it with water and it tastes good!
  • Vanishes
    Vanishes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    From looking at your Food diary (just a few days) it seems to me you're getting plenty of protien? Are you trying to consume a lot of protien for any particular reason?

Often people think they should be consuming way more protien then they actually need. In my opinion, I don't think you really need protien powder unless you are trying to build muscle like a competitive body builder would.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I second jay Robb. With some unsweetened vanilla almond milk, I use the chocolate one and it tastes fine, has no sugar and even kicks my craving for chocolate milk
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    watch what you eat and that 100ish calories is not even a dent in your diet. I take protein powder / shakes 2-3 times a day and I never hit my protein goal or go over calories. Get vanilla whey and you can bake it or shake it in anything. It is nice since it takes on the flavor of whatever you mix it with.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I like Six Star cookies and cream I get it for 20 bucks at Walmart. They were out of it the other day so I bought Body Fortress Strawberry......yuck I"m not a fan!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Keep below 20g a serving and mix with 100ml soya milk high protein lower in fat (depending on brand)

If you can get it down your neck with just water then it's a win.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Your protein intake isn't bad according to your last week. I lived on low protein for a long while and never had hair problem. I suggest taking a copy of your food diary to your doctor in case it's something else.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yes I have to eat *kitten* in a bag ugh.

That was just the suggestion of my doctor since my hair is falling out in clumps now. Scary to me since I've always had a lot of hair and it's one of the only things I have going for me. I've added a multi and biotin also.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Try making ot with coconut milk, much nicer than normal milk.
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Get the Whole Foods Brand Unflavored Soy Protein.. I add it to everything.. coffee... eggs... really ANYTHING I'm baking also. Can't taste it. It's 23g protein in 1 scoop, 110 calories and only $13.99 for the big tin of it............
  • amwalcott
    amwalcott Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like the syntrax brand the best and it has no sugar. All the flavors are fantastic! Even the juice flavored ones. They also mix well by just shaking them.
  • Jamesecj
    Jamesecj Posts: 20
    Options
    Advocare's Muscle Gain is really good and is the top of the line. It comes in Vanilla and Chocolate. You mix it with water and it taste great!
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    How much protub did your doc suggest you take in a day?

I use cellucor from GNC. It mixes really well with both milk and water. I've used it in recipes also and it's great. 1 scoop is 130 calories and 30g protein. Sugar, fat and carbs are relatively low and it helps when I'm craving chocolate because I'm a bit of a chocoholic.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    gnc gold standard is good, i also like pro complex.

see what comes in sample sizes, and buy a few to sample from.

btw, i like to make a post work out smoothie, with 1-2 scoops of vanilla protein powder, 6-8 ounces of OJ, and a handful or two of frozen berries.

don't think of adding extra calories to your diet. this is to help refuel your body after a work out!!
  • UWZander
    UWZander Posts: 70
    Options
    From the composure of the powder the Jay Robb is a terrible deal. Get a 5lb container of ON 100% whey protein or BSN Syntha-6.
  • EastSideJohnny
    EastSideJohnny Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Buy some Questbars. It's packed with protein, low carbs and not any of "the bad stuff." Plus, they taste great!
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    MuscleTech Chocolate. It's delicious and reasonable price-wise ($35 for a 5lb bag) at Sam's Club.