Do you treat obese people differently at the gym?

Options
So are working hard on your food intake, working out and you are losing weight. So now that you are not as overweight as you used to be do you treat those who are any differently when you are at the gym?

I'll be honest even when I was 270 I used to see someone who was overweight and be like what are they doing here. How HIPPOcrytical (lol) of me. But now that I've done the work and am losing weight I find that when I see someone who is overweight I think to myself...GOOD FOR THEM!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    So are working hard on your food intake, working out and you are losing weight. So now that you are not as overweight as you used to be do you treat those who are any differently when you are at the gym?

I'll be honest even when I was 270 I used to see someone who was overweight and be like what are they doing here. How HIPPOcrytical (lol) of me. But now that I've done the work and am losing weight I find that when I see someone who is overweight I think to myself...GOOD FOR THEM!

I don't really interact much with people at the gym other than a polite smile and nod- but there are these two guys that are frequently there lifting weights at the same time as me, and I always silently cheer them on. And, when I am running and I see a heavier person out there, or anybody that is struggling- I smile at them and give them a "you're doing great!" or "you go girl!".
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    yes. i am extra nice, cuz I've been there. I don't chat much, but I make sure I greet them and as I leave say "see you soon" and give a smile. also a little tech support if they have trouble with the machines.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    When I first started at the gym (at 125kgs/275lbs) a lady came up to me and said "I've lost 28kgs, and I KNOW you can too."

At first I thought it was weird and that she was a cow.

However, she actually really inspired me at some level. Every time I saw her (only a few times a month) she'd say "Hi! You look great!".

After not seeing her for ages, I saw her again recently and as I walked past her on the treadmill, I thought "I'm going to say something to her".... so I stopped and I said "You really inspired me. When I first started, you told me you'd lost 28kgs and that I could too, now I've lost 22kgs" ... she nearly cried, she thanked me and said now she's lost 38kgs.

Now every time I see someone who is where I started I feel like telling them they can do it.... I never do, but I always smile and try to look encouraging.
  • sarahbethrn18
    sarahbethrn18 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I first started at the gym (at 125kgs/275lbs) a lady came up to me and said "I've lost 28kgs, and I KNOW you can too."

At first I thought it was weird and that she was a cow.

However, she actually really inspired me at some level. Every time I saw her (only a few times a month) she'd say "Hi! You look great!".

After not seeing her for ages, I saw her again recently and as I walked past her on the treadmill, I thought "I'm going to say something to her".... so I stopped and I said "You really inspired me. When I first started, you told me you'd lost 28kgs and that I could too, now I've lost 22kgs" ... she nearly cried, she thanked me and said now she's lost 38kgs.

Now every time I see someone who is where I started I feel like telling them they can do it.... I never do, but I always smile and try to look encouraging.

Wow. That's awesome. Almost made me cry!!
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't treat them any differently, but I tend to feel really bad for the young women. Like sad for them.
  • KimL122
    KimL122 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I really don't talk to anyone while at the gym. I go in know what I'm there to do and have my ipod on and get to work. when I first joined the gym bck in '05 I had already lost weight back in '02 and was just maintaining at that point because I didn't feel like buying another treadmill, so when I would see people who were over weight I really just though great for them. I really only thought always anytime I saw anyone on a mission to loose weight as something very good. There a guy that is at my gym and when he first started coming in he was really over weight. When I was injured last year and wasn't able to get the the gym for many, many months and I when I went back the guy looked like a totally different person. He had definitely working out and changed his eating because he was half the person he use to be.

When I see him or anyone else that has lost weight I just smile inside because they came in as a very heavy person kept with it. I watch weight loss shows and people say all the time they don't like to go in gyms until they've lost weight because they don't want people looking at them asking why are they there. I've nevr thought like that. I'm just glad that they are there and making a change.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I treat everyone the same no matter where i am. If they are courteous and respectful, i will go out of my way to be..if they are crabby, I just avoid them and hope secretly that it has nothing to do with me.
  • sawadoll
    sawadoll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Definitely, I have a new found respect for obese people who are at the gym or exercising. This may sound a bit harsh but I have no sympathy for obese people who carry on with unhealthy lifestyles, especially when they complain about how they hate their lives because they are fat etc. The obese people at the gym had decided to turn their life around and live a more healthier lifestyle via watching what they eat and exercising are an inspiration. I love watching their bodies transform over time, it is very inspiring.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I havent been to gym yet but am thinking of signing up soon. I wouldnt judge a larger person because they are at the gym, it means they are doing something about it! Good for them.
  • jmoralesx5
    jmoralesx5 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I treat everyone the same no matter where i am. If they are courteous and respectful, i will go out of my way to be..if they are crabby, I just avoid them and hope secretly that it has nothing to do with me.

I should clarify my point. I don't "intend" to treat anyone differently, but sometimes it just happens. But I'm glad to see I'm not the only one and I think it's cool to see how we (ones who have been there...still working on it) can pay it forward by encouraging others we see. Thanks for the stories!
  • lizagleason
    lizagleason Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, even though I swear my 21-year-old fitness conscious son lives there. He is my inspiration, for sure. I exercise to videos at home or walk the 2 mile riverwalk on Sundays. But in my neighborhood and on the way to and from work I see a lot of people out walking, jogging, biking, blading, etc for health. And it always gives me a big smile when I see an overly padded (I say that lovingly) person out there peddling along, or pushing a stroller, or whatever, because I know they made the difficult choice and acted on it and are on their way to having a better, stronger, healthier life. I admire that and would never treat a heavy person any differently than a fit person, no matter where I was.