how do you invite a girl to a movie but not as a date?

Options
Laces_0ut
Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
i moved to Phoenix a little over a year ago and have been meeting new people through groups like Meet Up. sometimes ill meet a girl who i'm not interested in dating but i would like to be friends with...see movies, play pub trivia, go places etc...

whats the best way to ask them while making it clear its not a date?

ive tried just being casual and saying hey we should check out that new movie. but even if the plan is to meet there i get the sense they were thinking it was somethig more sometimes.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Bring some other friends?
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Just be honest, say you would like to be friends with her and ask her if she would like to hang out sometime. We like having guy friends too and as long as you are up front and honest with her about where you stand she will appreciate it, if she chooses not to be friends with you it is her loss.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    Bring some other friends?

no problems in that scenario. much less of a chance of misunderstanding.
  • REALBIGBATBASTARD
    REALBIGBATBASTARD Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    stop it
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm, say I just wanna go see a movie...not a date?
    teehee
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    Just be honest, say you would like to be friends with her and ask her if she would like to hang out sometime. We like having guy friends too and as long as you are up front and honest with her about where you stand she will appreciate it, if she chooses not to be friends with you it is her loss.

for some reason that just seems forced to me to come right out and say "lets be friends" but maybe it is for the best.

im really just looking for some kind of code phrase. like "would you like to come in for some coffee" at 2 a.m. is not really about coffee...but the "lets be friends" equivalent. :)
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    stop it

stop what?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Just ask her.
    I think us men over think things sometimes.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ask her to see it, but make sure you dont send out date signals like paying for her ticket, meeting with her before hand or putting her hand on your penis.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I recently went through this myself(met people through Meetup and a guy asked me for coffee on Tuesday.. now I'm stuck wondering if it's a date or friends getting to know each other!)

Just shoot her an email that says hey, I enjoyed meeting you and was wondering if you would like to hang out again doing XYZ.
    I'm not interested in dating but i would like to be friends.. and leave it at that!
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    I recently went through this myself(met people through Meetup and a guy asked me for coffee on Tuesday.. now I'm stuck wondering if it's a date or friends getting to know each other!)

Just shoot her an email that says hey, I enjoyed meeting you and was wondering if you would like to hang out again doing XYZ.
    I'm not interested in dating but i would like to be friends.. and leave it at that!

thats definitely a good idea, but i am interested in dating and am hoping to meet people in those Meet Up groups and wouldnt want to lie to her.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    ask her to see it, but make sure you dont send out date signals like paying for her ticket, meeting with her before hand or putting her hand on your penis.

wait a minute...its not normal to place friend's hands on my penis? no wonder so many think im interested and/or gay!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    seriously though, i think you should just ask her, not send out any confusing signals (like offering to pay for the ticket) and only bring up the fact that you dont like her in THAT way if you the impression she thinks of you that way.

you canalso try the subtle hint like asking if she things men and women can have strictly platonic relationships
  • stephensmith0929
    Options
    Its tough if your Fred Willard!!
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hm, this is a tough call...

I think that I'd feel less confused if someone invited me to hang out with more friends, as a group. Also, perhaps mention the word "friends" nonchalantly someplace in the email? Something along the lines of: "You strike me as quite interesting, and I think we could be friends. Email me if you want to catch a movie sometime :)"
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    ok.. here's the deal.. you don't..
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    ok.. here's the deal.. you don't..

why not?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

thats definitely a good idea, but i am interested in dating and am hoping to meet people in those Meet Up groups and wouldnt want to lie to her.

True, but you are not interested in dating that specific girl.. so in that case you aren't lying if you tell her you aren't interested in dating her.

You could also say something like I am interested in dating, but I'm trying to meet people and make friends before I start dating anyone. That way she knows your intentions, but also realizes that you are trying to be social and not just rushing into anything.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    mesha and rosa i like those ideas. thanks.
  • IAmFranciscoB
    Options
    sounds like the FRIEND ZONE