Working When Not Feeling Well...

Options
Lisa0711
Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
Hey everyone. I think I am beginning to get a cold, but it's not really to the point where it bothers me much yet. Usually I do a lot of cardio with jumping involved, but I can't right now because it hurts my head.:sick: But I still feel well enough otherwise to get a work out in. What do you guys do when you don't feel good but still want to burn some calories?

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    How cool that you posted this, because I'm having a similar problem and was about to post. I have a sore throat and some body aches, but don't know if the body aches are from hard push on cardio this weekend (although my daughter currently has the flu). I was wondering if I should go to the gym and get in a work out before it becomes the full blown thing if I feel up to it. Because from what I've seen, this flu thing will knock me on my butt. I'll be interested to see what everyone else posts.

Hope you feel better soon Blondie.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk. It's somewhat slow paced and non-jarring, but yet if you keep up a good pace you can burn close to 500 calories for just an hour. If it's too cold outside for a walk and you don't have a gym membership, go to the mall (but make sure you leave your purse in the car or else shopping may take precedence over walking:happy: ).
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I didn't miss a work out with the last cold I had. In fact running was a better medicine than anything I took.

However, I don't go to a gym. If you do work out at a gym, I think you have an obligation to your fellow gym patrons to work out else where when you're sick.
  • ontheedge50
    ontheedge50 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    :sick: Soar throat....Body Aches. Stay home....Do not go to the gym.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    However, I don't go to a gym. If you do work out at a gym, I think you have an obligation to your fellow gym patrons to work out else where when you're sick.
    Good point about the gym. I always wonder, with all the sweating everyone does, how much is transmitted on all those machines, even with wiping off. I'll find something around home to do :smile:
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    I didn't miss a work out with the last cold I had. In fact running was a better medicine than anything I took.

I definitely agree with you here. If you're not feeling well, don't take it to the gym...if you're STARTING to get a cold/flu, that's when you're most contagious!
    Working out at a slower rate is still good for you, when you're not up to your regular type of workout

Hope you're feeling better! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Good point about the gym. I always wonder, with all the sweating everyone does, how much is transmitted on all those machines, even with wiping off. I'll find something around home to do :smile:

Thank you. As a full time gym goer I appreciate this. In a health class I attended, we were told to fake sneeze covering out mouth with our hand, then a hanky and a tissue. Each time we were 2 ft from a pc of construction paper. Each time there was spray and spittle no matter how much you cover your mouth. And this was fake, not even at the force our bodies are using when attempting to rid itself of the bug.

I go for a walk just to keep myself moving and not lose the itch for exercise. But I can tell you that the past week I have been sick.........and took care of my body. Lay in bed and drank plenty of fluids.

Take care of yourself and get plenty of vitamin C!!

Hope you feel better quickly:flowerforyou: