is anyone doing IF (Intermittent Fasting) ?

Options

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE IF, specifically LeanGains, BUT please know it is not a miracle cure, a magic bullet or a quick fix. It is mostly just a different method of controlling your calories for the day/week. If you are a natural grazer and enjoy eating 3-7 meals a day within cals, there is not reason to force yourself to IF. That being said for many of us, the 6-small-meals-a-day dogma was totally unatural and feels like real deprivation. This method of eating just suits some people better.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE IF, specifically LeanGains, BUT please know it is not a miracle cure, a magic bullet or a quick fix. It is mostly just a different method of controlling your calories for the day/week. If you are a natural grazer and enjoy eating 3-7 meals a day within cals, there is not reason to force yourself to IF. That being said for many of us, the 6-small-meals-a-day dogma was totally unatural and feels like real deprivation. This method of eating just suits some people better.
    I agree with what you say but I do think people who eat those 6 small meals should give IF a try. A few weeks ago that was me. I feel that I was lied to in the past. I lived by 6 small meals for the longest time. However, after trying IF- how could I ever go back? I've been getting way more lean on IF and I'm eating the same. You can do 6 small meals and cut back carbs or you can keep your carbs, do IF and get greater results.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I agree with what you say but I do think people who eat those 6 small meals should give IF a try. A few weeks ago that was me. I feel that I was lied to in the past. I lived by 6 small meals for the longest time. However, after trying IF- how could I ever go back? I've been getting way more lean on IF and I'm eating the same. You can do 6 small meals and cut back carbs or you can keep your carbs, do IF and get greater results.

Yeah, I agree with you its definately worth a try for anyone. I guess I am just trying to stress the fact that there's no need to replace the 6-meal dogma with IF-dogma.
  • haberchic
    haberchic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started IF 2 weeks ago and it's been the easiest way for me to manage my calories that I've found. I was so obsessed with eating 5-6 times a day, I would eat even when I wasn't hungry. First I tried a 24 hour fast just to see if I could do it. It was easier than I thought and I survived the few moments of hunger. I now do a daily 18/6 fast. I eat from noon until 6 pm, our usual dinner time. I haven't been hungry and I am making better food choices so I know I'm getting the nutrition my body needs. My biggest struggle was eating alot after dinner while watching t.v. Now that I start my fast after dinner, I tell myself, "your fasting right now" which keeps me away from the kitchen. The mind set is working for me. I know on days I will be eating later than that I can simply do a 16/8 fast and I'll still be on track.
  • kupokupo
    kupokupo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into IF for several weeks now.. the main question I have is that if you were ever to go back to having a longer window period of eating, does your body start gaining weight back? It's easier for me to eat during a concentrated time as opposed to every 2-3 hours, so I think this would be fabulous for me, but just incase I were to ever want to go to more frequent meals, would I end up gaining weight back?

Sorry if this has been asked, I only read a handful of replies.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You gain weight if eating at a surplus.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I'm doing IF because when you have a diet to maintain as you don't want to give up your badass appetite, you need something :laugh:
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well said. I find that for me IF helps me manage my calorie intake. It works so well it feels almost effortless to remain in my calorie goal for the day, whereas when I was grazing it required constant discipline. But just because it works for me does not mean it works for everyone! I have an evening meal at about 8:00 pm, and then that's it until 12:30/1:00 pm the next day.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Well said. I find that for me IF helps me manage my calorie intake. It works so well it feels almost effortless to remain in my calorie goal for the day, whereas when I was grazing it required constant discipline. But just because it works for me does not mean it works for everyone! I have an evening meal at about 8:00 pm, and then that's it until 12:30/1:00 pm the next day.

I usually eat 40% of my daily intake for lunch and around 9 pm the 60% remaining (16/8)
    I've been able to stick to that since February. I could definitely skip breakfast for sure, but sometimes I find that window hard to stick to. (especially not eating after 9 pm)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You should only try it if it's fits your lifestyle. As others have noted above it's not magical like many of the cult like followers make it out to be. Hmm, it's interesting that many paleo and crossfitters, also IF.... Now, I am beside myself.

Anyway, do it because you're life dictates, not because you think you will lose 10000000 pounds.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You should only try it if it's fits your lifestyle. As others have noted above it's not magical like many of the cult like followers make it out to be. Hmm, it's interesting that many paleo and crossfitters, also IF.... Now, I am beside myself.

Anyway, do it because you're life dictates, not because you think you will lose 10000000 pounds.

Why is it interesting that paleo and crossfitters also IF?
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    There is a group, Intermittent fasting. Join it!

And to those spreading all this bs about fueling the body, starvation mode, etc, please do some research first.
  • marinweb
    marinweb Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Why is it interesting that paleo and crossfitters also IF?

He's saying some crossfitters treat it like dogma...so they'd obsesses over IF and paleo diet.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    And to those spreading all this bs about fueling the body, starvation mode, etc, please do some research first.

Sock-It to 'Em!
  • CupcakeHarpy
    CupcakeHarpy Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I agree. I would like to try IF someday, but for now I do 3 meals and some snacks whenever I'm hungry (still count cals). But I am at a higher starting weight and can have about 1800 cals/day. that lets me have (3) 500 cal meals, and 300 cals for whatever. When my caloric intake needs to be lowered maybe to 1300/day to keep up any progress... I can see the draw in having one or two satisfying meals and just leave it at that. It would definitely make my life easier than always prepping/eating food all day.
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    What is Intermittent Fasting? Thanks.
  • marinweb
    marinweb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What is Intermittent Fasting? Thanks.

Just as it sounds. You fast for different periods and only eat during certain periods. You're getting the same calories, just different timing on when you eat.

eg. You only eat between 12 pm and 6pm would give you and 18 hour fast with 6 hour eating "window"there are different ways to go about it, but that's essentially the basic concept.

Here's a good link. http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Insta starvation mode

Hardly ANYONE in this country knows what starvation mode is.

And as a child who grew up in the Appalachians...with a mom on foodstamps and a dad in jail.... I remember getting ONE Frakking meal a day of a slice of governmen cheese and some bread.

sometimes for dinner we'd have bread with butter and sugar on top.

I know what starvation mode is.. and what I do NOW is NOT THAT.

Wow that escalated quickly
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Insta starvation mode

Hardly ANYONE in this country knows what starvation mode is.

And as a child who grew up in the Appalachians...with a mom on foodstamps and a dad in jail.... I remember getting ONE Frakking meal a day of a slice of governmen cheese and some bread.

sometimes for dinner we'd have bread with butter and sugar on top.

I know what starvation mode is.. and what I do NOW is NOT THAT.

Here.....have a cookie.....you deserve it.

cookie.gif
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I think after learning more about it I may try it. I tend to eat big meals rather than smaller ones.