nutrition gurus - need suggestions here...

Options
jingoace
jingoace Posts: 219 Member
o.k... nutrition gurus - please take a look at my food diary - tell me what I am doing wrong?
or at least give me some constructive criticism?
thx , J

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Less processed food/fast food and more veggies.... A Frapachino is not a meal. Make sure your net is at least 1200. Overall not bad - just a few tweaks and you should be doing good.
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Less processed food/fast food and more veggies.... A Frapachino is not a meal.

This. Though I do not claim to be a nutritional guru in the least.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Your fiber intake is too low on average my lady. Try to bring it up to 20~ and 30~ when you feel comfortable with 20s. Increase gradually and let your body adapt. I suggest lentil and beans as good fiber sources as they're always a good carb addition to meals. Munching on vegetables also help. Broccoli, celery, lettuce etc. As they're low on calories, don't let the fullness they create force you into dropping your caloric intake, though.

Onto your sodium intake, it's quiet high on some days. Sauces, Asian, ready/instant soups, dressings etc. Stay away from them and prepare your own instead. The reason bottled dressings and sauces are high in sodium is that they have additives.

I know this is hard for many but try to drink more water. Increase your water in take by one glass every other day since you are also exercising. Especially with the increased fiber you will need to drink more water in order to avoid any bowel movement problems. Also it will help you flush the sodium away.

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about weight loss or eating healthy?

From a pure weight loss perspective, here are some tips:
    -make sure you're meeting your calorie goals to prevent your metabolism from slowing down
    -make sure to get a decent amount strength training in along with your cardio
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Your protein is really low. You should be eating about 1g per pound of lean body weight per day.
    I'm going to echo the other sentiments in this thread about eating more fiber, more veggies and less preprocessed food. Eat real meals made with real foods. Also, make sure you're eating enough. It looks to me like you're regularly eating below 1200 cal/day. That's way too few calories. You should eat somewhere between your BMR and TDEE instead of 1200 which is an arbitrary and almost always too low number.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Look at your diary for the 26th.
    That's the best of your entries that I've seen.
    Use it as a sample, and build off of it. (Minus the pop tarts!) ;)

If you could ditch the frapps and add more FRESH fruits and veggies as well as some protein,
    you'd probably see results.

Time to find an iced coffee you can make at home maybe? Add your own fat free half and half and what ever sweetener you like.

Hard boiled egg and black beans over any salad you want with a low calorie dressing would be a good addition to that entry!

Don't eat less than 1200 calories each day, and don't go more than 4 hours without eating!
  • jingoace
    Options
    Are you talking about weight loss or eating healthy?

I am seeking weight LOSS,
    but definitely want to maintain healthy eating habits.

For some crazy reason, I am steadily gaining..... just hoping others can pinpoint what I'm screwing up on.
    Thanks all for your insights,
    :) J
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    It seems you're mostly starving yourself and your body is functioning on that level by burning off muscle and keeping stored fat.

Many of your meals aren't very "rounded" and it is very lacking on one end or the other such as all fresh veggies, but little protein or carbs.

Round out your meals more, especially lunch and just portion it accordingly.

If your goal is X amount of calories for 1-1.5 lb weight loss per week, you shouldn't have a 300+ deficit on a regular basis.

Hope this helps!
  • jingoace
    Options
    Thanks. I had calculated my TDEE earlier in the year (posted it on my blog so I wouldn't forget)

when using 3x a week exercise level
    TDEE = Maintenace = 2095 cal per day
    20% defecit = for FAT LOSS = 1676 cal per day

Maybe I need to focus on EATING MORE?? and eating my exercise calories too...

I also know I need more protein, which is why you see the whey protein mixed with liquid egg whites usually once a day,
    but I will try to add more nuts and lean meats in. Protein is hard for me to get enough in. I am often eating on the run, although I TRY to make a nice dinner for two in the evenings. You'll see I sometimes just give up & grab fast food for hubs & I in the evenings, because by that time I am just too pooped to care...

Good ideas all of them!!! Many Thanks for your suggestion and constructive criticisms... I need to hear this!
    :) J