Love-hate relationship with icecream <\3

Options
Anyaaaa11
Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
I think it's best that I rid my obsession for ice cream. It's gotten to the point where I will eat it every weekend with my family. It tastes so good but I know I'm eating it too frequently.. Everytime I try to say no, I cave. All it does is lead me to binge, and crave more sweets! & I'm one of those people that can't just have a half a cup, unfortunately /:

My question is how do I "break up" with my ice cream!!! I've tried substitutes but nothing seems to satisfy the cravings besides the reals deal. So what do I do?

Replies

• ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I dont know what substitutes that you have tried but the one I do is frozen fat free cool whip. It really does taste like ice cream. The other one that's good is frozen fun size york mints - but if you're prone to binging having a whole bag of frozen candy in your refrigerator might not be the best solution.
    I don't believe in totally giving up anything you love when trying to better yourself because then you'll just crave it more ( and do you want to spend your ENTIRE life without ice cream?)
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I like good frozen yogurt...the cheap kind usually ends up grainy or gross, but some of the good ones are really creamy and flavorful, and better for you than ice cream! Still not something you should eat every day, but definitely a better option.
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I love Skinny Cow it's sooo good and fairly low in calorie ;-)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I love Skinny Cow it's sooo good and fairly low in calorie ;-)

YES, I have eaten Ice Cream almost everyday since i have been on MFP, lost right at 80lbs, ICE CREAM IS AWESOME.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You can freeze banana's and then blend them with milk (almond milk) and any flavors you want (strawberry, cocoa powder etc)
    Then you can eat your ice cream and not feel bad about it. It's still going to be 100 calories or so, but it will have nutrition.
  • lilah808
    lilah808 Posts: 60
    Options
    How about home made sorbet. Ingredients: frozen banana, frozen berries and a teeny drizzle of agave. Yum!
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's kind of expensive, but if you try SO Delicious Coconut Milk ice cream, you'll be hooked! It's absolutely delicious!

For me though, I usually eat a lot of ice cream with my family, but if it fits into my calorie allowance for the day, why not? It's possible to lose weight by eating only McDonald's every day, you would just end up not eating as much volume of food. Why not indulge?! Losing weight is a lifestyle change, and I know I couldn't live my whole life without eating ice cream!

Best wishes with whatever you decide to do though! :)
  • dazygrl02
    dazygrl02 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is my weakness too. I trained myself to eat it in moderation by getting the little single erve ben and jerry's or hagen daaz containers. Now that I've managed that, I have actually learned to be able to take half a cup out of pints. That would have been impossible a couple months ago as I kind of binge on ice cream....
  • rumandreason
    rumandreason Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you want to be put off ice-cream, read a bit about milk production, specifically on vegan websites. It's pretty gross and should throw you off..at least onto dairy free varieties!
  • Debtastic12
    Options
    Im so glad im not the only one. for the past 9 months, every saturday i eat a full tub of ben and jerrys which is almost 1100 calories!!!!!!! i have gained 9lb but that was also because i was ill and couldnt exercise. im getting weil again so i didnt get my usual tub on saturday night and instead i had a bowl of fresh fruit and fat free vanilla youhurt and i really enjoyed it. ive noticed that over the past few days ive been thinking about ice cream but i definately think it is just out of habit and i will NOT get one this weekend hahahahaha
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Get a machine & make your own with controlled ingredients! Then you don't have a great tub sitting in the freezer to finish!
  • dub101
    dub101 Posts: 325
    Options
    so my weakness.. weight watchers ice cream bars are pleasure packed cold bundles or taste bud madness that you have got to try and they are only 147 cal each :)
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I know I for one could def NOT go the rest of my life without ice cream.. Winter, summer, all days in between I love it. (and it doesn't help having a DQ that's open year-round just down the street from me!) Maybe try some lower cal/sugar-free types. I had some SF Turkey Hill last week that was great.
    Also, to help with portion control, I don't eat it out of a bowl, but instead I fill a paper cup (about 1 cup volume), or I have it in a dish. It def seems like more when you fill a dish rather than walking away with a half-full bowl. (Similar to taking the smaller plate at the buffet.) Plus I weigh it out on my food scale to get an accurate cal count. good luck!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    walls light vanilla. 30 calories per scoop. that is all.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I was the biggest ice cream addict EVER but when I became vegan I gave it up cold turkey. There are vegan ice creams made with soy and coconut milk, but they're more than I'm willing to spend on a regular basis!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    http://www.myarcticzero.com/

AMAZING!!! 150 calories in a whole pint!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about ice cream. I love it! The summer is the worst because let's face it, summer and ice cream go together like peas and carrots, and taste a whole lot better! I have been trying to stay away from regular ice cream and buying, on occasion, sugar free or no sugar added ice cream. I also like Breyers carb smart chocolate. I think that one is only 90 cals per 1/2 cup. To instill portion control, I use one of my kids' small bowls, and try not to fill it a mile high(thus defeating the purpose of the smaller bowl). However if I really want to control myself I have to not have any in the house at all otherwise I will eat it every night. I have gained 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks because of over-snacking so I really need to be careful right now. Ice cream is definitely my downfall.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    I know what you mean! I just eat it, but only when I've exercised enough to earn it!