Success story from a runner

Options
Hi all,

I've been using MyFitnessPal for over a year now, although I'm already on my goal weight for quite some time, and thought it was time for my success story.

I've started running in 2007, and although the physical exercise, I ate so much, that I still gained weight. I kept on running, simply because I liked it, but at the end of 2010 the following was reality:

- weight: 103.4 KG (228 lbs)
- length: 179 cm (5 feet 10)

Then at a party, late december 2010 I told my friends and family that my goal for 2011 was to run the Berlin marathon in September 2011. Ofcourse my friends and family were supportive, yet sceptic.

So in May 2011 I started dieting. Somebody told me that it would greatly help writing down what you ate and drank every day and that's how I stumbled upon MyFitnessPal.

In June 2011 I started my preparations for the marathon. Running long distances varying from 20 km (12,4 miles) to 35 km (21,7 miles).

The results:
- I ran the Berlin marathon successfully in 4:26:29 with a weight of 81 KG (178.6 lbs).
- In the meantime my weight is 74.9 KG (165.1 lbs).
- My running increased to a high level. I even got third at a local match beginning this year. And still improving (although at the moment slightly injured due to too much training :-)).

My tips:
- Stay disciplined. Don't slack. If you slack, then plan ahead to slack. That way you can't fool yourself at a party and eat too much. For example: when going to a barbecue with friends, I plan what to eat before I go there. If I would decide what to eat on the fly while at the barbecue, I would most certainly eat too much.
- Exercise. Cardio vascular exercise really helps in losing weight. Especially running. Next to that, it is really motivating to see improvements in your exercises. It sure motivated me.

I hope the above helps others in reaching their goals.

And ofcourse, thanks MyFitnessPal for helping me out with this great site. I'm sure I would've managed without, but most probably not as quick and not as easy.

Replies

• MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, Matey! I used to be a runner, and am now severely restricted in time available to me. I am determined to get back into running, and am starting slow, as I am unable to run without my little girl. My husband is home 4/16 days, so I can run then each day, but in between times it is always with a jogger (and if the weather is crap, which it has been, then it is indoors on my treadmill).

I am participating in a 5km run run on 26 August with my daughters. Can't do the 10km with a jogging pram, and don't want to not run at all, as I am fundraising for my daughter's Palliative Care organisation. It is a start, and as she gets older it should get a little easier.

I will never be able to leave her with anyone (apart from my husband when he is at home), so I am going to continue training with her and build up gradually to doing a half-marathon to begin with. It can be done - there are people doing it in wheelchairs, and I am a great believer that sheer determination and desire to succeed makes all the difference.

There have been days where I feel a little overwhelmed and unsure whether I am being foolish in pursuing something that really benefits no-one else, and takes time away from my family in some ways, but then I hear stories like yours and am reminded that if you are passinoate about something, then it is worth the effort.

I am not sure how long we will have our daughter, as we have been told her condition is "life-limiting" (guess that is the more politically correct way these days of saying "terminal"), but regardless of how old she gets it will be awesome to share with her the joys of getting outdoors and enjoying the feeling of physical fitness and passion for the outdoors. I am hoping that one day she can do a run alongside me. Regardless of length. Something to share and rejoice in.

Sorry about the long-winded reply, just nice to share out loud my dreams and desire to run with someone who understands the joy of running and achieving your goals.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options

I've started running in 2007, and although the physical exercise, I ate so much, that I still gained weight. I kept on running, simply because I liked it, but at the end of 2010 the following was reality:

- weight: 103.4 KG (228 lbs)
    - length: 179 cm (5 feet 10)

The results:
    - I ran the Berlin marathon successfully in 4:26:29 with a weight of 81 KG (178.6 lbs).
    - In the meantime my weight is 74.9 KG (165.1 lbs).
    - My running increased to a high level. I even got third at a local match beginning this year. And still improving (although at the moment slightly injured due to too much training :-)).

I salute your achievements - and in such a short period of time, too. What a rush to have done what you said you were going to do. Really brave to say it out loud and make yourself accountable like that. I struggle with saying things out loud, because I am never really 100% sure if I can achieve my goals or not. Well done, you truly are an inspiration.
  • Tohnmeister
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughters condition. I admire the fact that you still have the energy to do some running and try to involve your daughters.

While in Berlin last year I did see people running the marathon with a jogging pram by the way. Not saying that it's a good idea though. :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!