"Everything in Moderation"

Options
I don't go by this theory, mainly owing to the fact that having a 'moderate' amount of one thing to one person could be an entire portion to another.

What do you consider to be a 'moderate' portion or 'bad' foods? E.g. chocolate, crisps, fizzy drinks, alcohol, etc.

Replies

• lalala06
    lalala06 Posts: 153
    Options
    i usually just have the serving size suggested.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Where do you live?
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Moderate to me is usually just a medium pizza and 4 boxes of cookies.
  • lillauraseymour
    lillauraseymour Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think that's what's great about myfitnesspal, you can have a bit of chocolate or a small severing of chips etc and still stay under calories.
  • queenhiphop
    Options

Yeah same.

Moderate wind follows..
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    so... I do believe in everything in moderation...

I used to go to bk and have 2 whoppers large fry and large non-diet soda with two or three refills...

now a trip to bk is usually a kids meal... with ice tea (unsweetened)... moderation...

I used to bake two boxes of brownies for "dessert" for the family (5 people) and they would be gone in one setting...

now if I make brownies we immediatly pack up 1/2 to take to the widdower who lives next door and the other half lasts two or three days...

I used to drink soda (non diet) every day... now I drink a diet soda about once a week...

I look at the serving size... and I have ONE serving :) usually not more than once a day
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There are no "bad" foods, only bad eaters.........:wink:

(or, to paraphrase the NRA..............Food doesn't make people fat, people make people fat)
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hahahahahaha right?
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the item. It could be something that's held to a particular serving size appropriate to the item. Or it could be that I indulge in the item every now and again.

Mostly for me it's just a mind thing. So long as I know I can have something whenever I really want it, I don't feel deprived. If I don't feel deprived, the longer I can go without the stuff I don't think I should be eating.
  • queenhiphop
    Options
    Hahahahahaha right?

I think you will find that elcollins24 was using sarcasm in her post.
  • its_rierie
    its_rierie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    so... I do believe in everything in moderation...

I look at the serving size... and I have ONE serving :) usually not more than once a day

This. Although I'm failing at it so far, but I'm trying to making at least one healthy choice each day, and working healthier choices into what's not-so-healthy.

If I restrict too much, I'll go crazy and end up binging on everything in sight.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hahahahahaha right?

I think you will find that elcollins24 was using sarcasm in her post.

Only moderate sarcasm
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    it's hard to decide this. food manufacturers are very sly..they will make their suggested portion sizes so small so they can brand how low they are in calories, which ultimately makes eating that size unsatisfying.

A medium pan pizza for one at pizza hut is well over 1,200 calories. People eat the whole lot when maybe 3 slices are 'enough' simply because the whole darn thing is in front of them.

Portion management is extremely difficult to manage when food suppliers offer larger than needed portions so they can sell more food...the urge to eat all on the plate usually gets the better of people without them even knowing.

The food industry has a LOT to answer to
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    one way of thinking about is what proportion of your daily/weekly calorie intake it comprises. So with 'bad food' (which for me means processed biscuits/cakes/crisps etc) I try and keep it between 10-20% of my daily intake. Fattening but healthy food like nuts/olive oil etc is a different matter - I'm not so bothered about proportion but I know I'll be hungry if they mean I eat less carb/veg etc
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Moderation refers to frequency as well as amount. Boyfriend and i used to do take out 2-3 times a week. Now we do 1 a week- either friday OR saturday as a treat and at any place we go, I have a meal that im comfy with the size.

Moderation is certainly trickier as it requires planning, forethought, and will power, but overall I think it makes me a happy, well-rounded person. If I want something, I have it. But I have to actually want it, not just be eating it because it's around. And that, I think, makes all the difference as to whether or not I've "wasted" calorites.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    it's hard to decide this. food manufacturers are very sly..they will make their suggested portion sizes so small so they can brand how low they are in calories, which ultimately makes eating that size unsatisfying.

A medium pan pizza for one at pizza hut is well over 1,200 calories. People eat the whole lot when maybe 3 slices are 'enough' simply because the whole darn thing is in front of them.

Portion management is extremely difficult to manage when food suppliers offer larger than needed portions so they can sell more food...the urge to eat all on the plate usually gets the better of people without them even knowing.

I do not think anyone thinks a medium pizza is meant to be 1 serving, even if they are eating it. Lol.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Like what? All the information is on the box. The only reason they do what they do is because people are too lazy to figure out how much they're eating. There's nothing complicated about splitting a pizza in several pieces.

Just take responsibility for what you eat rather than give that responsibility to the food industry... If they don't have responsibility (except providing correct info on the box) then they have nothing to answer for as well.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    There are no "bad" foods, only bad eaters.........:wink:

(or, to paraphrase the NRA..............Food doesn't make people fat, people make people fat)

^^True.

I do go by moderation, though I'm not here to lose, but to gain and maintain, I still think moderation is the key to a healthy life, so when I eat what people consider "bad" food, I'd have, for example 4 pieces of chocolate (which is a row of a family block here - about 30g, just under an oz) a couple of cookies, or a small bowl of chips, or a few lolies, if I had a desert, I'd have the portion size on the pack, or whats being served at the restaurant...I'll go out and have fast food occasionally....I do enjoy treat foods, but I don't need to binge on it to enjoy it, nor do I need a big amount of it, its more about quality than quantity for me, and I'm ok to stop when I get full or simply have had enough. I never got a soda addiction either so I drink lots of water and milk, if anything my dairy intake is probably too high, but I can't give up my milk and yoghurt!
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i think the "everything in moderation" philosophy is hard to live by...
    but that doesn't mean it's completely impossible to stay true to.
    for starts, i've been cutting out sugars/sweets/fast food/junk food/soda pop. i'm finding that it's easier to just get rid of the calorie-filled crap than to try to squeeze it into my diet. if i'm truly craving something, i'll let myself have a taste. no biggie to splurge every once in awhile (in "moderation", of course). i think an occasionally treat should be satisfying and not something to fret about. if you're getting weird over a brownie, don't eat the darn brownie and/or get some help, nutritionally/psychologically. or just have a sweet piece of fruit and try to pass some time to let the craving(s) subside.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    one chocolate bar OR one soda OR one small bag of chips, etc. and not every single day.