help!!

Options
my boyfriend is 400+ lbs, he has a really bad ankle which makes even walking difficult most days. he also has a painful hernia. he needs to lose weight to help his medical situation, but exercising is too painful most of the time he is very headstrong and his medical issues are putting him in a frame of mind where he feels losing weight is a hopeless cause. any ideas on exercises that he can do that might not hurt him? any motivational ideas would be helpful also.

Replies

• jeepwidow01
    jeepwidow01 Posts: 173
    Options
    Instead of focusing on the exercise at this point, I would recommend working on eating healthier and watching his caloric intake. Is he on MFP as well? As his weight lowers, it will help take pressure off his ankle. I know that with each pound lost, it takes approximatly 4 lbs of pressureof your knees. If it does that with our knees, I can just imagine how much it would help his ankle if he could drop some pounds. If he really wants to do some exercise, what about swimming? It is a great workout, but easy on the joints.

Best of luck!
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    80% of weigh loss is thru watching your diet. As to exercise, with his issues, I'd recommend pool as well. Pool walking, water aerobics, swimming - all very active and a good workout but is completely non-weight bearing. As to motivation, that's the most difficult component in my opinion. Motivation has to come from within. He needs to find some reason he wants to do this and keep that thought foremost in his mind, and set goals to achieve it.
  • manny08phs
    manny08phs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    we have no access to pool and we have already changed the diet. its been 2 months and no weight lost.
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    Would you mnd opening up your diary so we could perhaps offer some suggestions to help in that area? :smile: