ROAD RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    The only time Hubby and I argue is when he's driving because he gets so angry with everyone on the road, and he's such an aggresive driver.
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but I do get a bit annoyed on the road sometimes. Usually with idiots driving large trucks or SUV while talking on cell phones because they don't look before they merge. I drive a small car, and try to stay out of people's blind spots as much as possible, but I've also learned to not be shy about laying on my horn. As far as I can tell it's either I honk like a mad lady or they'll just run me right off the interstate some days.

The other day I got really annoyed with a pair of cyclists though. They were pedaling down the highway through a major construction zone swerving a bit. I couldn't pass them because I needed to exit, so there was no choice but to drive very slow behind them on the very busy road (the main road through town). When we got to my exit they appeared to want to make the same turn, swerving into the middle of the right exit lane and then suddenly they swerved left back to the highway. I nearly ran into the fools because they didn't gesture or anything! Then, the lead rider (a bone skinny chick with weathered skin like an old smoker or a drugged up hippy) has the nerve to jerk her head around and flip me off while sticking out her tongue so that she looked even uglier. Now, I understand the plight of the bicycle fan and try my darn-est to be a safe driver around them. There was no bike lane on this road. But for crying out load it was a major highway, under construction, and there was a less busy street that did have a bike lane parallel to this one!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but I do get a bit annoyed on the road sometimes. Usually with idiots driving large trucks or SUV while talking on cell phones because they don't look before they merge. I drive a small car, and try to stay out of people's blind spots as much as possible, but I've also learned to not be shy about laying on my horn. As far as I can tell it's either I honk like a mad lady or they'll just run me right off the interstate some days.

The other day I got really annoyed with a pair of bikers though. They were pedaling down the highway through a major construction zone swerving a bit. I couldn't pass them because I needed to exit, so there was no choice but to drive very slow behind them on the very busy road (the main road through town). When we got to my exit they appeared to want to make the same turn, swerving into the middle of the right exit lane and then suddenly they swerved left back to the highway. I nearly ran into the fools because they didn't gesture or anything! Then, the lead rider (a bone skinny chick with weathered skin like an old smoker) has the nerve to jerk her head around and flip me off while sticking out her tongue so that she looked even uglier. Now, I understand the plight of the bicycle fan and try my darn-est to be a safe driver around them. There was no bike lane on this road. But for crying out load it was a major highway, under construction, and there was a less busy street that did have a bike lane parallel to this one!

I understand, we have a lot of cyclist around here and my feelings are if you can't ride the 50mph the speed limit is then you shouldn't be on that particular road. Plus we have loads and I mean loads of separate pathways for cyclists
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i get mad when people slam on their brakes and there is nothing in front of them.....

They were probably break checking you!:laugh:

Yep. Brake check too, but I don't slam the brakes to do it, just tap them lightly, and only if there is only a single car on my butt and no room to move to the right lane. (And I'm already going over the speed limit.)

I probably did it more when I lived in a hilly town and drove a stick shift. That way they were less likely to stay on my tail when we stopped at red lights. Nothing more terrifying to a teen driving a manual truck than stopping on a hill and having some sports car an inch from your back bumper.

I've heard some people use emergency brakes for the hill/stick shift issue, but as my emergency brake was the sort on the floor that you had to step on instead of the hand brake ones, that just wasn't an option. Only solution was to get faster at it so the truck didn't have time to roll. Until then, anyone right up on my tail at a hilly stop light was taking a risk with their own car.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    It has been a few months for me. Anger management and drugs have helped.
  • afigueroa_pr
    afigueroa_pr Posts: 344
    Options
    i get mad when people slam on their brakes and there is nothing in front of them.....or they drive in the left lane and they are as slow as molases.....it has gotten better but still get mad....

^^^^^
    This!!!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I just swear a lot while driving. But I swear a lot all the time. It's a great stress reliever. Some of the compound words I come up with when angry are hilarious and make me laugh. Weaseld*ck is still one of my favorites
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I just swear a lot while driving. But I swear a lot all the time. It's a great stress reliever. Some of the compound words I come up with when angry are hilarious and make me laugh. Weaseld*ck is still one of my favorites

I call people F#cknuts a lot lol.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I can definitely see this. Most of the road rages I see are via younger females. Ironically some of the best drivers I have seen are also women (younger or older)

Typically though, most men would just honk horn once or twice or maybe even flip you off or speed up and cut you off or something if you cut them off or do something you don't like. But ladies....they just go crazy with the horn and everything. Like I don't buy to the stereotype of women being a bad driver but some of the females out there donot help fight that lol.

However, most of the VIOLENT outbursts from the road rages are from men. Like one time I cut somebody because he was going so damn slow and I needed to be in that lane and I guess he didn't saw me trying ot do that since he was on the phone. But as soon as I cut him off, he sped up, got in front of me, got out of the car when we stopped at a red light and started screaming racial slurs. I just bursted out laughing at that point because this was actually funny to me (I knew very well I wasn't in a physical harm).
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    About 15 years ago, some guy cut me off. Almost hit me. I jumped out. He jumped out. Lot's of yelling. I looked back at my car. Saw the look on my wife and 3 yr old's face. Turned around and walked away.

It'll never happen again.

RoadDog, don't you drive a big rig? I think I remember you mentioning before that you do or you did drive a big rig. My dad does too. All the respect in the world for you guys. You all put up with a lot of *kitten* from "4 wheelers". My husband works at a local distribution center, and there have been many times I've gone there to drop him off or pick him up, and the drivers delivering/picking up loads don't know me, but they are always kind and courteous, waiting longer at their stop sign to let me go first, etc. They have a hell of a time turning left out of the place to get on the interstate and many times they have to just take a chance and hope the people slow down (they go way too fast through that area). I was coming back towards the plant one day and watched some jacka$$ in a pick-up illegally pass one of the trucks that left the plant not too long ago, and then he had the nerve to flip the driver off in his mirror. I wanted to go chase down the ba$tard and give him a piece of my mind. When I see somebody disrespect a trucker, it just feels like they are disrespecting my father and it pisses me off so bad.
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I used to experience a huge amount of road rage while stationed in Korea, but it has since subsided...
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I admit I do get road rage - especially with those who drive Prius's here in this town I work in. They drive 45 in the fast lane, really? I do not tailgate because I hate it. When people tail gate me - I slow down to mess with them :laugh:
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    only when I'm on my bike and get cut off, pinched etc. I carry an small "equalizer" on my handlebars and I've been known to thump it on a hood or door once in a while.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I had road rage this morning while riding my bike. For the second time in a week someone on a fraking cell phone wasn't paying attention to all 5 of the signs pointing out that their right turn is to yeild to anyone crossing on the path connecting the trail going across the street. The guy mean mugged me the whole time he slow turned so I took my glasses off stared back him and barked about the sign. The next guy in line waited for me to cross.
  • chameleon77
    chameleon77 Posts: 124
    Options
    I must admit, I am not the calmest driver on the road. But i have started using different techniques, such as blowing kisses, window licking, just being obnoxious in general, instead of cursing like a mad woman! Then I actually find it entertaining and it takes the edge off! :explode:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a very calm person in general and specially calm while driving because I drive fast I have to be focused and be precise at driving. Ofcourse when I am driving with kids then I'm driving like a snail. I just donot see a reason to get mad at somebody.

But no matter how calm you are or how good/bad driver you are, we ALL turn around to look at the a**holes face who just cut you off :D
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I must admit, I am not the calmest driver on the road. But i have started using different techniques, such as blowing kisses, window licking, just being obnoxious in general, instead of cursing like a mad woman! Then I actually find it entertaining and it takes the edge off! :explode:

If I saw somebody blow me a kiss when I knew they wanted to flip me off, I don't know if it would make me laugh or piss me off even more. :laugh:
  • Flugangst
    Flugangst Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I tolerate many things while on the road, but tail gating is not one of them. Especially if I am going 5-10 over the speed limit and I'm still being ridden like I am in heat. I used to pull over, but I don't anymore. I became rather tired of tearing my car up because I'm diving off the side of the road because some pin head wants to go faster. If they want around me bad enough, they'll just pass, double yellow or not.

I try not to break check, but some times...Sometimes it is necessary.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I had a little rage about three weeks ago. I was riding my bike on a Sunday morning. I was going through town and some little ole lady was doing 10 under the speed limit. I went to pass her and saw a car pulling a trailer in the median. I had that gut feeling they were going to pull out and cut me off so I hit the breaks just as they started pulling out. I was able to get behind the little ole lady and just as I passed the car I looked over and the driver was talking on his phone. WELLLL, I wasnt mad when he pulled out because of his angle of approach but when I saw the cell phone in his ear, I slowed down and waited for him. As he got up next to me I rapped my pipes a couple of times and got his attention. Then I proceeded to cuss him like a 3 dollar *kitten*. I was about to kick his door when I looked back and saw cars behind me so I abandoned that idea. THEN as I got into the next town another little ole lady pulled right out in front of me. I had to lock it up and luckily the guy next to me in a car saw what was happening and gunned it giving me room to pull into his lane. He had the road rage heheh, he pulled up beside her and cussed her out. LMAO. As I went by I just shook my head, no reason to add insult to injury.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options

It totally blows my mind how many people think its perfectly fine to be typing or reading texts while your driving a 2000lbs potential death machine with innocent people all around you. Its a text it can wait!

This just sends me over the edge and I don't have to be in the car - if you are texiting in the middle of the isle at the grocery store in the way, I have been known to either move your cart or crab your phone and throw it in you cart. There is a time and place for your phone people!

If someone were to grab my phone and throw it, I would lose it. Don't touch my property.