Best exercise for when you're short on time?

Options
Does anyone have any recommendations? Im SOOO not a morning person and my evenings are spent with my kids until they go to bed. After that, Im exhausted, but if I could do a short workout, that would be awesome. Thanks

Replies

• grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    my first thing in the morning routine is jillian micheals 30 day shred, i think it's only 20 minutes of exercising
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope burns a ton of calories
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Anything using the tabata protocol (I'd recommend Burpees). 5 mins warm up, 4 mins exercise, 5 mins cool down and you're done.

Having said that, the 4 mins will feel like the longest 4 minutes ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training#Tabata_method
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Wake up...do 100 burpees in ~7 min and be all set for the day!
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Wake up...do 100 burpees in ~7 min and be all set for the day!

If it will give me abs like that I will wake up and burp all you want LOL :blushing:
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Skipping, I think I read somewhere it can burn 200 calories in 10 minutes! I know it's high intensity and great for burning anyway.
  • Depictureboy
    Depictureboy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations? Im SOOO not a morning person and my evenings are spent with my kids until they go to bed. After that, Im exhausted, but if I could do a short workout, that would be awesome. Thanks

Kettlebells...Lots of videos around. Can burn up to 20 calories per minute when you push it...
  • Sappy320
    Sappy320 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    running up and down stairs, i do this on my break at work to burn a few extra calories during the day.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nettienielson

Also, this woman puts up lots of videos for quick workouts that are both stregth and cardio, they only take 15 to 20 minutes.
  • brittanypeters1990
    brittanypeters1990 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if it has already been posted or not.. but search bodyrock.tv they have a BUNCH of quick exercise videos
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if it has already been posted or not.. but search bodyrock.tv they have a BUNCH of quick exercise videos

I was about to suggest the same thing.
    And just looking at the guys and girls in those videos is motivating.
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Try this routine...this is very effective and you can burn some serious calories! One set usually takes about 5-6 mins.

30 jumping jacks
    5 pushups
    25 high knees
    7 burpees
    10 crunches
    7 squats
    5 pushups
    10 crunches
    5 pushups
    10 crunches
    5 pushups
    7 squats
    30 jumping jacks
    1 minute wall set
    5 pushups
    25 high knees

*For best results, repeat the set 2-3x
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    my first thing in the morning routine is jillian micheals 30 day shred, i think it's only 20 minutes of exercising
    This^
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like the Jillian Michaels Kickboxing fast fix. it's about 17 minutes and according to my HRM I burn around 200 cals every time.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    HIIT!!!

High Intensity Interval Training

You burn a good amount of cals in a short amount of time!

but that's only for cardio.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    3 reps of the following:

20 jumping jacks
    20 push-ups
    20 lunges
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    sprinting...you won't last 30 mins. Try intervals of 1on 2mins off.
  • JenG_2011
    JenG_2011 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you.. 2 boys under 4 years old.. leaves little time for Momma to work out or have any extra energy..

So, I suggest Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred, then Ripped in 30. Both dvds start off easy then progress to more difficult with beginner options all the way through and both are only 20 minute work outs. I'm addicted to Jillian. Looking for my next Jillian fix as I've done both of these programs 2 or 3 times each now.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo!!
  • Dezmodus
    Dezmodus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm always crammed for time, but I have an hour lunch break at work, so i get out and go on a quick walk around the block after I eat. 30 minutes or so, in the heat, at a pretty reasonable pace, it gets the heart rate up, wakes me up, gets me sweaty enough that I have to bring a change of clothes to work, and I'm not missing out spending time with my kid or having to get up crazy early.
  • someblackgirl
    Options
    running up and down stairs, i do this on my break at work to burn a few extra calories during the day.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nettienielson

Also, this woman puts up lots of videos for quick workouts that are both stregth and cardio, they only take 15 to 20 minutes.

This! And I've even read in places just 10 minutes of it will do the trick sometimes. If my stairs didn't have so many carpeted turns, I would do it more.