Eggs... How many??

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Right, so another rather newbie question from me: I have heard in the past that they say only eat about 3-4 eggs a week. But I love eggs. Close to work we can buy them and they are cheap, quick and gives you enough go to last a few hours.

How many eggs can you eat a week?

When you have high cholesterol, they say 2 per week. When you don't, there is no actual limit.

And even with high cholesterol, the thinking changes every day it seems on whether eggs are bad or OK. I eat them when I want to and I don't even worry about it.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    eggs are not evil. they are wholesome and good for you!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Easily at least 1 a day, some times more on the weekends, love eggs!!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    i almost eat eggs everyday.. they are good for you!!!

Why almost eat an egg? Go on, eat it.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I eat about a dozen a week. Whole eggs...none of this whites only stuff for me.

Same for me, and my cholesterol has gotten MUCH better since going on a low carb diet that includes lots of eggs.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the "egg whites" movement. Seems like waste to me. Eat the entire egg like nature intended.

--P
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    so I have a question about the macros...MFP has my cholesterol goal set at 300 a day...when I eat two eggs it goes over after just that one meal. So I have cut back to one a day trying to stay under my macros...is it not a bad thing to go over on it if it is good fats and how can you keep up with what you ate that was "good" and what was "not good" ?
  • ansy96
    ansy96 Posts: 55
    Options
    I used to eat about 15 eggs a week and I was feeling great ! Go on, eat more eggs! I have read that eggs contain 'good' cholesterol which can lower your 'bad' cholesterol :)
  • xPerfectt
    xPerfectt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'd say a dozen is a good! I don't really think any amount of eggs will really be "bad."
  • xPerfectt
    xPerfectt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    so I have a question abut the macros...MFP has my colesterol goal set at 300 a day...when I eat two eggs it goes over after just that one meal. So I have cut back to one a day trying to stay under my macros...is it not a bad thing to go over on it if it is good fats and how can you keep up with what you ate that was "good" and what was "not good" ?

The cholesterol in eggs is "good" cholesterol , or so I thought. So if you're going over it a little, I don't think its going to make a big difference.
  • ansy96
    ansy96 Posts: 55
    Options
    so I have a question abut the macros...MFP has my colesterol goal set at 300 a day...when I eat two eggs it goes over after just that one meal. So I have cut back to one a day trying to stay under my macros...is it not a bad thing to go over on it if it is good fats and how can you keep up with what you ate that was "good" and what was "not good" ?

I do not trust MFP for cholesterol because it can't distinguish the good cholesterol or sugar from the bad ones. If you have doubts of your cholesterol, better do some analyses :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Eggs are the perfect health food. What is an egg but a baby that has no access to Mama's nutrition (of course the eggs we eat aren't fertilized) And the main components in an egg are protein, saturated fat, and cholesterol. The three most important ingredients for a healthy baby. Mother nature did not get it wrong.

Cholesterol is critical to life (google Cholesterol Myths). Saturated fat is the most stable and healthiest fat out there (especially for women. We are fetus bearing organisms. That fat protects our reproductive system). Our body makes more cholesterol than we eat. Our body stores the majority of our fatty tissue as saturated (because it is the most stable) and converts most of the carbs we eat to saturated fatty acids.

Eat as many as you want. The more cholesterol you eat, the less your body has to make. That is the only connection between dietary and serum cholesterol (the brain is 20% cholesterol by weight). Cholesterol is needed for our body to turn sunlight into vitamin D. Every cell in our body can make cholesterol.

Cholesterol range for lowest All-Cause Mortality for women (based on statin trials): 250-300mg/dl
    Cholesterol range for lowest All-Cause mortaltiy for men (based on statin trials): 200-250mg/dl
    (That's the real data - not what you hear from BigPharma and mainstream median. Read The Great Cholesterol Con and The Cholesterol Delusion)
    There's only one group that benefit from statins (and not because they lower cholesterol. They do the same thing as a low-dose aspirin regimen) and that's middle-aged men with heart disease)
    In fact, in the trial done on Lipitor a few more people in the treatment group died due to cancers.
    And the lower the cholesterol level the ever more likely people would succumb to heart disease. (People that died of heart disease had high, normal, and low levels.)

In fact, my breakfast this morning is 4 perfectly hard-boiled local pastured eggs (no greenish tint on the yolk) and 4 pieces of Hormel Uncured Bacon. I'm 5'2" and 110lbs. And I fight to stay at or above 110lbs by eating high-fat.

Every last piece of "evidence" regarding cholesterol and saturated fat and it's supposed effects on the heart and arteries has been debunked. The statin companies just don't want to the word to get out. If it does, they are out billions of dollars. (Our health is a business soon to be a corporation).

And there's no such thing as good or bad cholesterol. You cannot have a cholesterol level.
    Saturated fat plays no part in the synthesis of cholesterol (cholesterol is the body's "duct tape". If we are producing a lot of it there is a reason for it and you don't fix it by stopping your body from producing it).
  • paul1batler
    paul1batler Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Found this only today so i have copied for you , your in luck its ok to eat them as you have been doing , enjoy
    Paul
    How Many Eggs
    By Dietitian, Juliette Kellow BSc RD

Last month, Diet Bytes reported on a study that suggested eating eggs for breakfast helps to reduce calorie intakes throughout the rest of the day so that weight loss is achieved more easily. The story created lots of interest with many of you saying you’d started going to work on an egg – and better still, found that it helped keep hunger at bay until lunchtime.

But it also highlighted that many of us are still confused about how many eggs we should eat each week and are concerned about their cholesterol content. So this month, we give the low-down on one of our favourite breakfasts. We think you’ll agree it’s eggs-cellent news!

As many members pointed out, together with liver, kidney and prawns, eggs do contain more dietary cholesterol than many other foods. It was for this reason that past advice focussed on limiting intakes of these foods if you had high blood cholesterol. And as eggs tend to be eaten more frequently than liver, kidney or prawns, they were particularly thrown into the spotlight when it came to advising people to cut down on cholesterol-containing foods.

However, thanks to more recent research, we now know the cholesterol in food has little effect on our blood cholesterol levels. What really affects blood cholesterol is the amount of saturated fat we eat. This means if you need to lower your cholesterol, the most important thing you can do is cut down on the amount of foods you eat that contain saturates, such as fatty meats, full-fat milk, butter, lard, cream, pastry, cakes and biscuits. Eating more fruit, vegetables and foods such as oats and pulses, which contain a type of fibre called soluble fibre can also help to lower cholesterol.

Thanks to this newfound knowledge, the Food Standards Agency doesn’t recommend limiting the number of eggs you eat, unless your GP or a dietitian has specifically advised you to do this. This is great news for slimmers as eggs contain just 85 calories each but are packed with nutrients including protein, zinc, iron, iodine and vitamins A, D, E and some B vitamins
  • Ccd1977
    Ccd1977 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The FDA loves to restrict your intake of good nutrition. Just look at the daily recommended value of Vit. C. Just barely enough to stop scurvey.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    7.5 dozen a week.

Cholesterol woes are for the weak.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I have about 14 egg yolks and 14 egg whites a week. Recently got my cholesterol checked and they said it was the best they have ever seen!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    To echo hpsnickers1,

'High' Cholesterol is not a predictor for heart disease and dietary cholesterol has no effect on blood serum cholesterol anyway.

Don't take my word for it, research the science!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I eat a dozen or so a week. I normally have 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast on most weekdays. I love eggs!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    As many as you want. The dietary cholesterol/blood cholesterol link has been overstated - total health and genetics play much larger roles.
  • Adara13
    Adara13 Posts: 50
    Options
    Wow!!, that you all and the person who posted the article! My dad has bad cholesterol and it's very much a genetic thing. ( I 'm adopted) and I do have mine tested. Never had a worry!! Will definitely be eating a lot more eggs! And with the low calorie count.... Smiling all the way