Protein Powder

Options
13»

Replies

• Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I read a lot of good things on here about whey protein. Anyone tried muscle milk? I have and like it but was told it has a lot of sugar in it compared to other protein drinks. Maybe that's why I like the taste :laugh:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I mix my vanilla protein and chocolate protein together with my milk . Pretty good
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I've just (in the last week) started to use protein powder. I got PHD Chocolate & Mint. The taste is just about bearable if I down it in one. But I bought the damned stuff, so I'm gonna use it.:laugh:
    But I've taken note of the recomended powders, for when I get to the bottom of the sachet. I bought the smallest pack available, just in case it was yuck, it's still got 3 weeks worth in it tho.:ohwell:

I'm a veggie on a diet so the extra protein is useful.

Chocolate & Mint?,,, Hmmm... Try it in some hot coffee. Might make an interesting latte kind'a thing. I've done that the chocolate and the vanilla and it was pretty good. I think the hot coffee dissolves the protein crystals and makes it less gritty.

Good idea, the only trouble is I'm really odd about drinks. I don't like coffee or tea, and I'm not too crazy on any other hot drinks.
    Until a couple of months ago, all I drank was Diet Coke!
    I had the worst caffeine withdrawal headaches when I kicked the habit.
    Now, all I drink is water (and the protein shakes)
  • macobb21
    macobb21 Posts: 119
    Options
    Has anyone tried the six star muscle professional strength whey protein powder? Is it ok for a girl to use?
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I use the Vega brand and I mix it in with my smoothies. Can barely taste it. Throw in a frozen banana and it's like ice cream :)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The Syntha 6 Chocolate Milkshake is SOOOOOO GOOOOOD! I love the stuff!
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try protein powder, but I get more than enough protein a day according to MFP. :bigsmile: And I agree with an earlier comment, tuna gets old:laugh: I'm not sure I really need it, though? I'm down to my final 5 lbs, from here I'm just trying to tone, but I'm also training for a small race. Any advice?
  • CoryKS
    CoryKS Posts: 8
    Options
    I use NNW Healthy Whey Protein. It's in the MFP database so you can check the stats on it. So far, I've only had the strawberry which is very good and mixes well with berries when making shakes. Just bought the vanilla for adding to recipes such as pancakes. It's sweetened with stevia so the sugar content is low, and the texture is very silky. You don't get a lot of that chalkiness that you normally find in powdered shake mixes.
  • ccounts
    ccounts Posts: 57
    Options
    This is great, I love these ideas. I have found that the banana gives the shake the consistency I'm looking for. It's also good to use frozen fruit. I do use ice and really crush it in my blender, so the shake is really cold, which seems to be key. :smile:
  • ccounts
    Options
    Yes, one of my favorite uses for vanilla protein powder is to add to anything I am making that is going to be baked or cooked: pancakes, hot cereal, tea breads, even biscuits. It adds protein and other nutrients. A little goes a long way. Substitute a little of the flour with the protein powder. I also add milled flax seed and a spoonful of bran for additional texture and that healthy oil.

As for the chocolate protein powder, I haven't used much of it, but what a great way to make your homemade chocolate deserts pack a little protein punch. Go easy. Try adding a spoonful to the brownies you'll be bringing to the next family gathering.

For shakes, the chocolate protein powder might be improved with a dash of vanilla extract, or orange extract. Another great combination is chocolate and cherry, so some frozen cherries added to the powder when you blend it with some ice and water or milk in a blender is really tasty. Think about the things you like with chocolate and go from there. Try it with unsweetened soymilk or the new Almond milk, unsweetened. Those are both really low in sugar but taste great, and they might work with the chocolate powder.:smile:
  • ccounts
    Options
    Yes, pineapple is great in the vanilla protein powder shakes. I don't why, but there's something about it that makes me feel like I'm doing something good for myself when I add the pineapple. It tastes just fabulous.
  • macobb21
    macobb21 Posts: 119
    Options
    You should try making it in a blender with berries and milk.
  • iiheartwaves
    Options
    Your protein powder definitely shouldn't be tasting gross, if it is switch to another brand. I use strawberry Sun Harvest Protein and it tastes great with just milk and water. i definitely look forward to my protein shake everyday. sometimes i like to make a smoothie out of it and add strawberries, bananas, and ice.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Don't just drink it plain. They often taste funny. In the past, I always used half a banana in my protein smoothies. This helps take that odd aftertaste away. You could also add some frozen berries, like raspberries or strawberries with the chocolate. Search the web for recipes; you may find some good ones!
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    *bump* :happy: