What do you do at the gym?

Options
As we all are trying to keep our workouts mixed up and intense at the gym/home, I am constantly searching the web and youtube for variety of workouts....SO what do you guys do at the gym? My new favorite cardio machine is the mountain climber..I usually do a variety of squats, lunges, kettle bells, sit-ups, push-ups etc. I plan to start 30 day shred soon as well.

Replies

• BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym. But I mostly do HIIT, and have started some walking and bicycling, and I plan to add working the heavy bag (punching and kicking) soon.
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    add pull-ups and chin-ups. Don't use the little assistance mechanism. If you can't do a pull-up/chin-up, hold your chin above the bar for as long as you can. Rinse and repeat. Chin-ups and pull-ups are amazing full upper-body workouts that are too often neglected nowadays.

I started focusing on them about a month ago and I'm already seeing a difference in strength and stature.
  • HauteHauteMami
    HauteHauteMami Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey... I only did cardio... Turbo Kick class three sometimes fours days a week... Then I got bored and started running... Then I got bored again and found my way to a Boxing club... I am nearing my goal weight so I increased the weight lifting and reduced the cardio... I literally have a membership to two gyms to keep it mixed up and have a DVD for Turbo Fire and Insanity...
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I take classes (body pump and bootcamp), play racquetball and when the weather is gross I run C25K on the treadmill. I'll also hit up the elliptical or the stationary bikes if my knee or ankle is acting up.

My bootcamp class is heavy on squats, kettlebells, medicine balls etc. We do something different everytime I go, I love it!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    When I do end up at the gym, lately, it's trying to beat my 5k time on the treadmill. But before when I went, I'd spend about 20 minutes per a few cardio machines and then frolic wildly around the rest of the gym, doing whatever I felt like, i.e. rowing, captain's chair, weights, etc, with no real sense of direction, just indulging my spontaneity and enjoying myself.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For me, the gym is about weights, and lots of em. Period. Everything else is just cardio, and I can/would rather do that elsewhere.

Squats, bench, pull-ups, shoulder press, deads, rows.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    add pull-ups and chin-ups. Don't use the little assistance mechanism. If you can't do a pull-up/chin-up, hold your chin above the bar for as long as you can. Rinse and repeat. Chin-ups and pull-ups are amazing full upper-body workouts that are too often neglected nowadays.

I started focusing on them about a month ago and I'm already seeing a difference in strength and stature.

Agreed. If you can only do 2 things, do squats and pull-ups.

Pull-ups: Arms, shoulders, chest, back
    Squats: Abs, butt, thighs, hammys, calves
  • JulieRoselovesFreeze
    Options
    When I go to the gym I mostly take classes just to have fun and supplement my more "serious" workouts (which I do outside the gym)...I take zumba, body combat, a couple of core/abs/back strenghtening classes....and sometimes sh'bam.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I work out... duh :noway:

More seriously

Lately I've been doing-

Ball Slams
    Battle Ropes
    Kettlebells
    Squats

On top of the usual
    Bench
    Curls
    Shoulder Press
    Lat Pulldowns

Really enjoy it when I add new things. It's nice not to get stuck in a rut. I like to keep it fresh
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think I know what ball slams are but what are battle ropes...very curious.....

More seriously

Lately I've been doing-

Ball Slams
    Battle Ropes
    Kettlebells
    Squats

On top of the usual
    Bench
    Curls
    Shoulder Press
    Lat Pulldowns

Really enjoy it when I add new things. It's nice not to get stuck in a rut. I like to keep it fresh
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think I know what ball slams are but what are battle ropes...very curious.....

More seriously

Lately I've been doing-

Ball Slams
    Battle Ropes
    Kettlebells
    Squats

On top of the usual
    Bench
    Curls
    Shoulder Press
    Lat Pulldowns

Battle ropes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEo9_din6dM

Ball slam (I use a 14 lb ball right now)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxQFamU3vp0

I love both of these they really get my HR up and it feels good to get some frustration out.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do C25K 3 times a week outside of the gym.

Inside the gym I do mainly weights.. a mixture of squats, lunges, step ups, shoulder press, chest press, dips, pull ups, bi cep curls, tri cep extensions, dead lifts, push ups and various ab exercises.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Monday - Step class
    Tuesday - lift
    Wednesday - pump class
    thursday - lift
    Saturday either step and pump class or lift and run.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I do squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, rows, and some random ab work sometimes.
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my gym workout to 1 hour so I run like heck for 30-35 minutes then usually do the leg press machine, chest press machinge, back row machine and ab machine. Full body workout!
  • AZChristy
    AZChristy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me, the gym is about weights, and lots of em. Period. Everything else is just cardio, and I can/would rather do that elsewhere.

Squats, bench, pull-ups, shoulder press, deads, rows.

This plus a few accessory exercises. Anything that will help improve my main lifts. I prefer outdoor cardio.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy.
    I try to add weight to the bar each week.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I do squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, rows, and some random ab work sometimes.

winner!!!!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    At planet fitness, I do a fast pace 10 minutes on the eliptical
    Stretch the muscles. do crunches and planks.
    Then I hit the circuit. I don't do most of the curl machines as I busted up my elbows in HS.
    I go extra on the back/stomach machines. In between each machine, I use the stair stepper
    thing to get my heart rate back up.

Then I do 30 mins on the stationary bike, my typical goal is 3 miles.
    Then a 5 minute cool off walking.

If I'm working out at home, I exercise during commercials. planks, crunches, and muscle building arm
    exercises with a low-weight dumb bell. My poor poor elbows! It was a bad bicycle accident.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Three times a week , I do full body, compound lifts. . If I have time at the end I will do some bro stuff.