New? Stuck? The First 3 Weeks Are Most Important!

Options
Hi MFP’ers. I’ll share my story, but let me ask you: Are you new to exercise or dieting? Or have you tried multiple diets or lose weight quick “plans”…unsuccessfully? Here are some thoughts...from a guy who had tried many plans, joined many gyms for many years (and rarely went after the first week). I finally committed and lost between 35-40 lbs of body fat in my first 3 months of getting serious.

I knew how to lift weights, but I didn’t know a great deal about nutrition or healthy eating. I decided to be radical and cut out the things that I loved the most, but things that literally were hurting my body the most at the time (simple carbs). Bread (oh, I LOVE me some bread). Ice Cream. Candy (I have a terrible sweet tooth). Pasta (don’t eat this much). Gone. For a time at least. For me, it was 3 months. For you, test me and try it for 3 weeks.

WHY 3 WEEKS?
Well, that is just my magic number. In 3 weeks of cutting this out of my diet, I had lost about 10 lbs while only doing 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights, 6x per week. There was a difference on the scale and visibly as my waste began to shrink and the love handles were being depleted of their fat storage for energy because I wasn’t feeding my body almost any simple sugars (carbs) and not a lot of complex carbs (whole wheat, etc.) either.

SEE & FEEL A DIFFERENCE = MORE MOTIVATION!
In those 3 weeks not only did I (and others) see a difference, I felt different. I listened to my body and gave it what it needed, but my mind was in control. There was crap food all around me constantly – I chose not to eat. Wow…that was different! And seeing that change in 3 weeks gave me MORE MOTIVATION to keep it going.

By 3 weeks I had always given up. Why? Because I hadn’t committed. I hadn’t gone all in and said I am going to attack this problem and I’m gonna win. Another few weeks went by and I was down more on the scale and around the waste and I was actually gaining muscle. This just got me more fired up to stay strict. Now, some people may want to have their FREE MEALS or TREAT MEALS/DAYS (sorry, I don’t call them “cheat”, but I won’t get into this because I did a thread on it a while back). You aren’t cheating though!! I probably had a couple of those during my first three months, but I had a goal so I stayed strict.

MORE MOTIVATION = SUCCESS
Success is different for everyone. You # may not be 3 weeks. It may be 3 months like me. After those first 3 months I have not been as strict. Being that strict is not healthy over long periods nor is it someone people can make a lifestyle. But it is an awesome jumpstart! I enjoy a good piece of bread like anyone else. Test me on this. Try doing this for 3 weeks and see if it doesn’t work for you. If it doesn’t, come back here and bust my chops. I’m a big boy. It may not work for everyone – probably doesn’t. But I’ll bet it works for 98% of people who want to drop 15-20 lbs. I’m just sharing my story and believe that others can enjoy it too.

And if you saw my thread yesterday – don’t look at ONLY the scale. I lost 32 lbs in weight. However, I definitely gained some muscle in those first 3 months so I probably lost between 35-40 lbs in body fat. 3 weeks. That’s all. If you have at least 20 lbs to lose, cut out the things I mentioned, and the other things you eat – do so in moderation. Work out an hour a day…for some maybe its 30 minutes of intense exercise because that is all you have time for.

Friend me. If there are enough that are in this boat we can start a new group. I’m here to support and encourage any way I can.

PS. Forgive me as writing is not my specialty!!

Replies

• phillbis
    phillbis Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. I too have a ridiculous sweet tooth. I've found some good substitues to keep it in control.

Your post ysterday about the scale was correct. I use the scale for motivation but I'm more concerned with how I look and feel than the number. After all we don't wear our scale weight around our necks! I'd much rather have a higher number on the scale and less body fat percentage!
  • imanole
    imanole Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. I too have a ridiculous sweet tooth. I've found some good substitues to keep it in control.

Your post ysterday about the scale was correct. I use the scale for motivation but I'm more concerned with how I look and feel than the number. After all we don't wear our scale weight around our necks! I'd much rather have a higher number on the scale and less body fat percentage!

Thanks Phil. Look & feel is critical for sure. One day I'll do a post on us listening to our bodies...because they talk to us a lot, we just tend not to listen. :devil:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I agree, great post!

Patience really is key. I used to be able to drop excess weight with little to no problem. Now that I'm older (43), once it's on there it doesn't want to come off even with dynamite. What I eat and how I work out really reshapes my body though, even if the scale doesn't show it.

Sugar and grain carbs (bread, pasta, etc.) were both hard for me to walk away from, but here's what I noticed after a few weeks. If I DID occasionally treat myself to these, yes they tasted good ... but I felt like crap for a couple days afterwards. I mean almost like I had a hangover. Your body WANTS to heal and WANTS to be healthy ... it's really amazing to experience how quickly it does so when you remove the garbage from your menu. (and realizing how crappy it makes you feel makes it easier to walk away from it next time too :happy: )

Even if you don't see much progress, know that if you are making great choices, you are moving in the right direction.

:heart:
  • imanole
    Options
    I agree, great post!

Patience really is key. I used to be able to drop excess weight with little to no problem. Now that I'm older (43), once it's on there it doesn't want to come off even with dynamite. What I eat and how I work out really reshapes my body though, even if the scale doesn't show it.

Sugar and grain carbs (bread, pasta, etc.) were both hard for me to walk away from, but here's what I noticed after a few weeks. If I DID occasionally treat myself to these, yes they tasted good ... but I felt like crap for a couple days afterwards. I mean almost like I had a hangover. Your body WANTS to heal and WANTS to be healthy ... it's really amazing to experience how quickly it does so when you remove the garbage from your menu. :happy:

Even if you don't see much progress, know that if you are making great choices, you are moving in the right direction.

:heart:

Clew - great points. I keep saying, our body talks to us all the time - we choose not to listen. I was gonna save it for a different thread but something as what you mentioned, feeling crappy after eating something (even during) - is our body talking to us.

3 weeks ain't much. I think it is doable for anyone and the boost you get is amazing from dropping those carbs. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!

I seriously need to learn to listen to my body. If I were better at listening to it nutritionally I don't think I'd be stuck. ;)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with what/how to eat. At one point, I lost about 115 pounds give or take a few. I did that through low cab and exercise. I had some struggles and lost my way, gained back 50lbs (over the couse of five years).

Now, I'm back on track again. I'm mainly taking the low carb route because I think that my body...speaking only for myself...is sensitive to carbs. Carbs and I just don't get along.

But I keep seeing other people who are vegetarians or vegans and I wonder if that's the way to go. Everything about nutrition confuses the hell out of me. I just want to do what's right for my body. I'm not seeking to lose weight at the speed of light. I just want to be as healthy as I can possibly be.

I'm just confused about how to get there.:frown:
  • imanole
    Options
    I'm struggling with what/how to eat. At one point, I lost about 115 pounds give or take a few. I did that through low cab and exercise. I had some struggles and lost my way, gained back 50lbs (over the couse of five years).

Now, I'm back on track again. I'm mainly taking the low carb route because I think that my body...speaking only for myself...is sensitive to carbs. Carbs and I just don't get along.

But I keep seeing other people who are vegetarians or vegans and I wonder if that's the way to go. Everything about nutrition confuses the hell out of me. I just want to do what's right for my body. I'm not seeking to lose weight at the speed of light. I just want to be as healthy as I can possibly be.

I'm just confused about how to get there.:frown:

Triple M: I think there are many paths to good health. Listen to your body. You just said that is responds to low carbs, that is doesn't get along with them. Well, I think you have your answer. I'm not saying there aren't other ways. Here is my advice though - step on the gas for 3 weeks and see what happens. Cut out those pesky carbs that get you and burn some of those 50 lbs away. Then ask yourself * Can I keep going at this pace, or should I back down on the accelerator - some? *

I find the key is to see great success in the beginning. When you lost 115 lbs before, once you committed to that, did you see results pretty quickly?
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to give up grains on a vegetarian diet... But they are so calorically dense and even if they are made with healthy grains like quinoa, I don't really think they provide all that much nutritional benefit. I am going to tinker around a bit with my choices and let you know what happens. THANKS!!!
  • imanole
    Options
    @Jeneba - thoughtfulness about your choices is awesome. And, when you do eat, pay attention to how your body feels from the time you start eating till a few hours later. It'll talk back. But you don't have weight to lose so you need to focus on eating foods that make your body and mind feel good and healthy. You have an advantage. :)
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is my problem.

Excellent post!
  • alsatty
    alsatty Posts: 28
    Options
    I have not completely given up carbs and sugar but when I eat something sweet now almost immediately I feel "sick". I can tell a big difference in this.

Trying to eat clean is very hard for me especially living in the south where we love everything fried, covered in sauce/cheese...and I crave Coke (real not diet). Thanks for the post.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Completely agree. I'm noticing a trend here in that I'm agreeing with you :P
    When I lost the first time it was through eating my carbs mainly in the form of vegetables, with very few of the processed carbs like pastas and breads - I used them as a nice treat every now and again. I lost inches a lot quicker, even if the scale didn't show it - and I've always felt that my body responded so much better to that sort of diet.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks for YOUR thoughtful response! I actually DO have some weight to lose - at least 4 lbs to get back to the way I was before first year of Seminary. But what is really interesting (this could be a great topic for one of your threads) is that our bodies really change in composition as we get older. 104 lbs at my current age of 55 looks different than the same weight at age 14, but it would have been much more noticeable a difference if I hadn't been working out all these years.... Meanwhile, I am about 3 times as strong as I was at the younger age. AND - I am committing myself this year to going heavy until I can't get any further. It is so important to keep up the strenght training as we get older.
  • Absam2
    Absam2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    very interesting article. so similar to my situation
  • lcallbaugh
    lcallbaugh Posts: 33
    Options
    So does that mean also cutting out things like sweet potatoes for those three weeks? Can I put them back in after the three weeks without gaining that weight back? Does that also include cutting out fruit?
    I carry my weight in the middle. Low carb diets do work for me. I've just always struggled with what to do after I loose the initial weight from that strict phase. Where do I go from there? I also have quite a sweet tooth.
    Will my body have enough energy to get through the 1hour workouts that I am currently doing 6day/week?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Very well written! Before I started counting my calories, i used to go nuts on the bread. Every time I gave my kids their bedtime snack, I'd go nuts on the bread.

Wasn't till I started looking at how many freaking calories a single slice of my fav Natural Rye Bread had, that I decided to significantly cut back. I do believe that I am see a direct result in that!

I am a carb junkie, so completely cutting it out will make me miserable, but since I'm almost at maintenance, in my situation - moderation will be key.

Thanks for the post!
  • imanole
    Options
    I have not completely given up carbs and sugar but when I eat something sweet now almost immediately I feel "sick". I can tell a big difference in this.

Trying to eat clean is very hard for me especially living in the south where we love everything fried, covered in sauce/cheese...and I crave Coke (real not diet). Thanks for the post.

I feel ya about living in the south. Cut out fried for sure, cut breads and pasta and potatoes (for the most part but sweet potato's are ok a couple times a week, even regular baked potatoes - the problem is what you might cover them in - cheese/sauces, salt, etc.). :) You can do it. I have a crazy sweet tooth but when I see the progress, even now, I get pumped and then I use progress - and friends - to keep my motivation level high.

And I always ask myself : WCWID? What Cardio Will I Do? ;-) Hehe. What cardio will I have to do if I eat this little ole ____ (fill in the blank). Or how much will it set me back and will it be worth it? Or, will I feel like crap after I eat it?

Hope this helps.
  • imanole
    Options
    Completely agree. I'm noticing a trend here in that I'm agreeing with you :P
    When I lost the first time it was through eating my carbs mainly in the form of vegetables, with very few of the processed carbs like pastas and breads - I used them as a nice treat every now and again. I lost inches a lot quicker, even if the scale didn't show it - and I've always felt that my body responded so much better to that sort of diet.

Yep, it's not just calories peeps! Thanks for your comments. Those are for "Treat Meals" for the most part when you are trying to lose body fat.
  • imanole
    Options
    Thanks for YOUR thoughtful response! I actually DO have some weight to lose - at least 4 lbs to get back to the way I was before first year of Seminary. But what is really interesting (this could be a great topic for one of your threads) is that our bodies really change in composition as we get older. 104 lbs at my current age of 55 looks different than the same weight at age 14, but it would have been much more noticeable a difference if I hadn't been working out all these years.... Meanwhile, I am about 3 times as strong as I was at the younger age. AND - I am committing myself this year to going heavy until I can't get any further. It is so important to keep up the strenght training as we get older.

Jeneba - GO HEAVY OR GO HOME! Hehe (JK of course). Your welcome for the thoughts.
    I'm a big believer in lifting. I'm not a big believer in only lifting heavy, just because I did it and if you do heavy all the time, the body stops responding the same (IMO). I think you cycle things. I typically cycle 4-6 weeks heavy (6-10 reps/set), 4-6 weeks moderate (10-15 reps). Lately, because of injury, I have been forced with some body parts to do light (15-25 reps per set). Let me tell you, do heavy for 6 weeks, then go light for 2 weeks - it is a different kind of burn!