C25K- Benefits in Continuing?

Options
Okay, another question for the hive mind- I've been doing C25K alternate to my strength training, working up to where I can run a 5K. I am four weeks in. Last night I felt like going for a run, so I did. I ran for 3.33 miles at at 13 minute pace in 42 minutes. No walking. So... I guess I can run a 5K. Is there any reason that I should keep going with the C25K or should I switch to something different?

Thanks!

Replies

• rocketbunnyst
    rocketbunnyst Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Half the difficulty in the later weeks of C25K is mental - knowing that you can do it. Sounds like you've passed this obstacle. Congrats!

But there is still the issue of your joints/muscles being ready for runs of that length. C25K works you up to long runs slowly. Conventional wisdom says to only add 10% distance per week to avoid injury.

I would probably finish C25K and then continue with another program that works you up to distance gradually.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Half the difficulty in the later weeks of C25K is mental - knowing that you can do it. Sounds like you've passed this obstacle. Congrats!

But there is still the issue of your joints/muscles being ready for runs of that length. C25K works you up to long runs slowly. Conventional wisdom says to only add 10% distance per week to avoid injury.

I would probably finish C25K and then continue with another program that works you up to distance gradually.

Good points, and thank you for the thoughtful reply. I have a tendency to get overeager when I know I can do something, and hadn't really considered the possibility of injury. I'll have to think on it some more- knowing I can run for over half an hour makes stopping to walk frustrating. :S
  • gretchenwb
    gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Google Jeff Galloway, I like his approach.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    It definitely helps with endurance and easing you into things. There are days when I can run ten miles no problem, and days I can barely finish 2 without feeling like I'm going to die hahaha I definitely think it helps you become consistent :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Now you know you can do the distance, why not carry on doing the full 5K at the weekend, gradually building up if you want to go further. During the week you could use C25K as an intervals session. You'll find you run faster when you have walk breaks, and that will help build your speed over distance.

And don't forget to enter a 5K race!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    congrats! you can run a 5k, which is GREAT! I personally would do a couple more days of the training as running isn't linear..you will have good days and days that aren't so great, but by all means consolidate and enjoy the running, and if it's something you want to continue doing, then perhaps look ahead to doing a 10k?
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I would continue with the program so that you can say you completed it, but I'd switch your mind set to complete it. Work on increasing your pace as opposed to the distance. Make your runs on the program faster.
  • cinemafromage
    Options
    I've often been told to remember that C25k is just a general guide to help you build up to the 5k distance. I've also been told to listen to my body too! So, if you decide to press on, I wouldn't worry about it but if you hurt...make sure to dial it back a bit and work your way back up.