Protein shakes?

Options
broomnic
broomnic Posts: 56 Member
Hi
Im confused with protein shakes, do they help with weight loss/muscle tone?

Is there a brand people recommend?

How often do you have them?

Is there a way to make protein shakes without the powder?

I exercise 5 times a week and was wondering if I should start having one before the gym/run ?

really have no idea where to start on this topic so any advice would be welcomed ! thanks

Replies

• Debth0909
    Debth0909 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there!

I am new to thse boards so forgive any formatting errors. :-)

The right one DOES help with weight loss without loosing muscle tone. At least this one has for me. I am still in the 'loosing' mode so I cannot attest to the level of weight loss. It comes down to how rigid you want to make your diet. I am on a 2 week protien shake and limited item program right now to kick start some more weight loss. So far it is working wonderfully but the end of the 2nd week will tell.

I LOVE the protien shake my traininer recommended. It is Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex - Chociolate. I've tried them before and they usually have a chalky taste, however mionor or no matter what I mixed in with them. This one is delicious and tastes wonderful and even more fantastic with certain ingredients. Add peanut butter and 1/2 a banana and it tastes like a snickers bar. Strawberries taste like liquid choc covered strawberries. Since I love chocolate this worked well for me. It is rich without the chalky after taste. For a special treat? I've added 1/2 a Skinny Cow mint ice cream sandwich and it has a wonderful chocolate mint flavor and tastes like dessert.

As I said, my trainer recommended this one and also how to use it. He has me use 1 scoop instead of the 2 and with 6 ounces of water plus additional ingredients. After my workoouts is when He has me drink the protien to help the muscle recovery. You can google the details on why protien AFTER a workout is good for the muscles.

That is my few cents...with the economy as it is, may not mean much but it is working for me. :-)

Enjoy!!!
  • Caniac68
    Caniac68 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to use protein but can't say anything about weight loss with it. I did notice that I built more muscle as protein is essential in the building of muscles. I too would use it after a workout but not in a shake. My method was to put one scoop of whatever kind I bought (usually vanilla) in with my oatmeal. One packet of oatmeal with protein and I was full for the rest of the morning and had tons of energy as well. But...I am telling you this from memory as it's been a couple of years since I tried it. Hope this helps...even if just a little.