Spain.

Options
Hi I live in southern Spain. Was wondering if anyone one here in same area that could help me with advice on eating out in tapas bars and Spanish restraunts .

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm not living in Spain & if I eat Spanish foods, its mostly homemade. But I think there are pretty number of Spaniards here as well.
  • vickycollo
    vickycollo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi. Gazpacho is a yummy, healthy choice. Also, anything homemade will always be better than anything you get in a restaurant or bar.

In tapas bars I would stick with vegetable based dishes but nothing in a creamy sauce (like alioli). Look for things that are in a vinaigrette. Stay way from chorizo, morcilla, anything fried. Olives are a good choice. Gambas (prawns) that are just cooked, not in a sauce.

I love Spanish food. So jealous you're there eating it!
  • paradigmsubversion
    paradigmsubversion Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think Salmorejo has a lot more calories than gazpacho, because of the bread in it. When I am worried about calories, I choose gazpacho over salmorejo, because usually it is healthier.

I also try to avoid eating the whole piece of bread when I'm eating tapas- I'll eat the whole piece of meat or cheese or pimiento or whatever, but I try to eat only half of the bread. That saves a lot of calories, too!

That being said, I love Spanish food so much, I eat all of the things I love- salmorejo, jamon, fuet, etc. . . . just try to eat them in moderation.

Best of luck to you- I am super-jealous, because I want to be in Spain right now!
  • Alicemarieed
    Alicemarieed Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I can't eat breat with any of the tapas as I am gluten/wheat intolorent . Spanish pool at me dummy when I say sim pan as its a major part of their diet lol. My daughter over on holiday for 10s from Monday so lots of eating out.i promise to be good lol ;-)
  • celixx
    Options
    I think tapas are a good choice mainly because of their small size :)
    ...Drawback, to have them without the bread or avoiding deep fried fish, stuff 'a la plancha' is definitely better!
    Also, I loooooove cured meat, or 'embutidos', too bad they're full of fat :/
    If I had to pick a favorite Spanish plate that I miss is probably all of the yummy crockpot recipes ahhhhhhh
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    anyone have recipes from spain? I have a potluck tonight