meat cuts. . .

Options
I am trying to understand which are the better cuts of meat to get of cows. I enjoy steak but since there is just me I do not have it too often. I do not have a grill (no outdoor space in my apartment) but pans, oven, and forman grill. Any suggestions for a lean cut of steak that is not too expensive?

Thank you.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You can make a steak in a pan, or a forman grill.. Never made one in the oven but I am sure t here is a way to do it... I get the cuts I like, but a lean cut would probably be sirloin.. if you look for sales at your grocery stores you can usually find pretty good deals.. (piggly wiggly store sells steak cuts from cows that are slaughtered in mexico but raised in Texas, ribeyes for $3.99 lb.. good with some seasoning)
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I deal with meat for a living so maybe I can drop some worthwhile knowledge.

Typically cuts from the loin will be your more tender varieties of beef. These steaks/cuts/chops are commodity items due to the fat lines that give them a juicy consistency, also known as marbling. I would strongly advise you to avoid beef that isn't graded by the USDA...After touring several kill houses and packing plants I can assure you that anything below 'select' is barely suitable for vultures...So don't be swayed by cheap prices on inferior grade product. Choice is commonly referred to as the 'every mans' grade...You can be snobby about it and pick apart the differences between an Angus and Holstein cow or C.A.B. vs prime..but you'd be splitting frog hairs at that point.

Now onto your real question...Lean cuts of beef.

Anything from the round, chuck, shank, or brisket are going to be your best choices for lean cuts.

Skirts, round tip, flanks, top butts, shoulder clods, pealed knuckles, flats, inside/bottom/eye rounds are all fine choices that are reasonably priced.
  • diverdiza
    diverdiza Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Anything from the round, chuck, shank, or brisket are going to be your best choices for lean cuts.
    That's interesting - all the brisket I've ever seen is extremely fatty!?!
  • rugby1725
    rugby1725 Posts: 4
    Options

Keep in mind your biggest concern is going to be the amount of fat "marbled" throughout the cut. The stuff on the edge you can just cut off, but those individual veins that are about the size of your fingernail and scattered throughout the cut are a lot harder to remove.
  • diverdiza
    diverdiza Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Keep in mind your biggest concern is going to be the amount of fat "marbled" throughout the cut. The stuff on the edge you can just cut off, but those individual veins that are about the size of your fingernail and scattered throughout the cut are a lot harder to remove.
    Ah. So then the remaining meat in brisket is low in this marbled fat? Good to know... Still a lot of wastage unfortunately because about 1/2 the initial pack is the "edge" fat!