Who the heck am I trying to beat?

Options
In June I was lucky enough to get a treadmill so I got the idea to train for a 5k to have a goal in mind. So I printed out an "Run a 5k in 8 weeks" program, taped it to my wall next to the treadmill and on July 3rd I was on my way. Keep in mind that I had ran 1 mile non-stop for the fist time in my life in June. ;)

So on my "running" days I would do the distance my paper said and each day I would try to go a little faster. I would go back and forth between practically sprinting to jogging at 5mph gasping for breath. I was hitting my distance every time (and a little farther) but I will admit that there were times that all I really wanted was to be done.

Then the other day I was reading an article about setting goals in your running and it said to pick just one. You work on endurance, distance, speed, etc. I thought to myself "That makes sense".... and then I moved on. Until the next time I was on the treadmill. As I started out at 5.2mph and was running comfortably I had the urge to speed up and then I stopped and thought "Why?" The reason I always try to go faster is because I think I'm "supposed" too, other people do right?

That is when I had my "Ah Ha!" moment. I'm not other people, I'm me. It's ok if I go 5.2mph. I don't want to be an elite marathoner (although that would be cool), I want to be that lady that you see running every day because she likes it and she wants to. I'm not trying to beat anybodies time, I'm just trying to beat the fat girl in my head that could never run the mile in high school.

At this moment in time the longest I've run at a time is 2.63 miles (at my steady 5.2mph) but as long as I'm running I'm beating that fat girl that I used to be. She has never ran a 5k so I figure no matter what my time is I win. :)

Replies

• courtneylynnboyack
    courtneylynnboyack Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love this. I will definitely keep this in mind when I get on the treadmill I haven't even really started exercising yet. I started on the food part first. But It's good to know I'm not trying to beat anyone but my less fit self :)
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    :) I'm glad you liked what I had to say.
  • frenzytime517
    frenzytime517 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This is so inspirational. You keep up the good work. I just joined this site yesterday and have already lost 1 lb, but I have a long way to go. My goal is to weigh 120lbs. I weigh 186 lbs now. It's gonna be hard, but I'm determined to reach my goal in 1 year or less(hopefully less). I walk a mile on the treadmill, do 100 crunches on the AP Lough Sport, and do strength training with both arms. I do those things 3 times a day / 6 days a week. I also picked up this dietary supplement everyone is raving about: Green Coffee Bean Extract, I plan on taking 2 a day with meals(healthy meals of course). I took my first one today with breakfast. Do you have any weight loss goals set or just the 5k goal?
  • dadzpeach
    dadzpeach Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Wow, I needed this! Thanks so much for sharing :smile:
  • cunfewzed1
    cunfewzed1 Posts: 80
    Options
    I think challenging yourself is healthy! You're trying to beat yourself, which will make you better!

Definitely celebrate your successes, but don't become complacent with what you've already accomplished.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I always have to remind myself to run my own race! Great post!
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I needed this today.

Have fun beating that fat girl!
  • iwillwin1313
    Options
    Wow! This is awesome.
    I think I have similar thoughts when I'm running, although it may be a bit different for me since I'm on a team. I always try to "ego run" (as my dad puts it.), or run to prove to myself I can do it. I need to remind myself every day I'm running because I like to run, not because I'm proving to anyone else that I can or can't do it.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Other people do not try to race themselves on each run. That is counterproductive and a quick path to burnout. Most runs should be easy in effort for optimal improvement.

What you are doing now is right.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    And don't sell yourself short on that marathon. You may not be an elite marathoner, but you can do a marathon. I ran my marathons at a little less than a 5mph pace. Sometimes it was hard being at the very back of the pack, but that's what I do, that's how fast I run and I just kept at it until I did it.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    AMEN sista! I love your attitude. I can understand being competitive when it comes to a team sport or any other competitive sport, but when it comes to things like running, it's so totally personal (in my opinion).

The absolute worst thing you can do is compare yourself to others. People either are naturally gifted runners or athletes, or work there damn *kitten* off to get better. I bet 90% of us fall into the latter.

Ditto to not selling yourself short. Not a lot of people can run a marathon, or even a mile. I respect any runner that gets out there and works to improve and challenge themself, whether they run 5 minute miles or 13 minute miles. If you love to run and get out there and do it, you're doing something so rewarding for yourself, and nobody else. The olympians and such are heroes because I bet you they have the ongoing need to beat themselves all the time (and they are just so damn gifted to be able to beat everyone else!)

So to answer your question, do what you're doing already... go beat yourself! Beat your old time, improve, get better! There is always going to be someone faster, so run your own race.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement. It's nice to know that other people have the same thoughts and doubts that I do. Everyone on here is inspirational to me because no matter where we are in our journeys the fact that we push ourselves to keep going everyday is awesome. :)
  • Cherryd45
    Cherryd45 Posts: 1
    Options
    You really do not have to "win". You already have the prize. That prize is "you" doing what "you" like and feeling good about who "you" are. I am so proud of you and all that you have accomplished. But, the main thing is that "you" are happy. Let the fat girl inside know she was always lovable and was loved even when she did not fit the body image that people find acceptable.