Pratical Weekday Lunch Ideas

Options
I need some help. I am trying to cut back on sodium so there goes my lunchtime microwaveable meal...I am am not a huge fan of lunchmeat. Any thoughts to lower budget lunch ideas, or websites, that are easy to bring to work?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    personally i'm low-budget but also a super-picky eater. so i'm far from perfect in my diet.

my lunches normally:
    -lean pockets (check the label; i aim for under 600mg of sodium)
    -individual portions of mac/cheese (same rule)
    -half pbj/fruit, half a bagel with pb
    -cereal (shredded wheat most recently)
    -granola bar/fruit
    -quesadilla w/ cheese/chicken
    -or i just double-make whatever i have for dinner the night before

i've also heard of people doing greek yogurt as a meal, which is great, but personally i prefer something i can chew (it makes me think i'm more full). Also, try Pinterest; it has tons of meal ideas.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm having lasanga roll ups from dashingdish.com you can get several servings from this
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with fruit, veggie side & whole wheat cackers

Broth based soup (many are high in sodium ... look for Amy's) - whole wheat cackers (or veggies if noodle soup) , fruit

Baked potato with green giant single serve broccoli & cheese - fruit side

Spinach (or romaine) salad with grilled chicken, mandarin oranges, snap peas, chow mein noodles (just a few) & Newman's Light Sesame Ginger dressing

Breakfast Lean Pockets (for lunch) ....... yum!
  • IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've tried something new and it seems to be working. Frozen mixed vegetables and a protein (usually leftover meat from the previous nights dinner). I put the frozen vegetables in a tupperware dish the night before, add spices and shake it up. The next morning, I put the dish in my lunch bag with a freezer pack thingy. By lunch time, the veggies are defrosted. I heat for a minute or so and i'm done.

Monday - leftover steak and mixed vegetables/brocolli
    Today - leftover fish and mixed vegetables/ green beans

I buy the large bags of frozen vegetables and just dump some into the tupperware containor. There is little to no prep time, unless you want to count the 2 seconds it takes to shake some seasoning on the veggies.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Amy's products have a "light in sodium" line with some healthy frozen entrees and soups.
    http://www.amys.com/products/product-categories/light-in-sodium

I also like to do 1 serving of tri-color rotini pasta with lots of veggies like broccoli, carrots, onion, peppers, cauliflower for a pasta salad with some light balsamic dressing. You could add grilled chicken tenders as well.
  • np11073
    np11073 Posts: 30
    Options
    I just came across a bake bean burger which I eat on a whole grain roll and top with tomato....230 calories and very filling. I generally do not like "veggie burgers" but this recipe is quite good. I do eat a lot of salads for lunch which allows me more flexibility for my evening meal. There are times when I am very busy at work and find it hard to actually sit down to eat; so I drink a Almased shake with almond milk. I stay away from any packaged food because they are indeed high in sodium and are not very satisfying for the number calories they have. Good luck.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've got a killer receipe for onion soup, low sodium, low calorie and very filling, and I'd be happy to share if you want it! See my lunch diary for today if you want specific nutritional breakdown. One batch makes 4 very substantial servings, I just have to figure out Friday's lunch, and that's usually leftovers anyways!

If you're not crazy about soup, try making a big healthy meal on Sunday and dividing it by 5. You can freeze them in indiviual portions, and then you can bring your own microwable meal to work! You have complete control of whats in it!
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits and veggies are always a good way to avoid calories and sodium.

I like to make enchiladas or quesadillas with shredded chicken, nonfat yogurt and reduced fat meixcan cheese. Throw some salsa on there, or fresh pico de gallo to really avoid the sodium and (often) get a fresher taste.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This sounds good, thanks!!
  • TrishAnn08
    TrishAnn08 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For lunch I always do a meat (nothing fried, only baked), fruit, and veggie. I do not have carbs after lunch which helps a lot so I avoid pasta (my weakness) and potatoes. Also try hummus it is great with veggies or pretzels.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My typical lunch:

Tomato Sandwich, 2 serving
    Special K Cracker Chips - Sour Cream & Onion, 13
    Yocrunch - Lowfat Yogurt With Oreo Pieces

Calories 461, Fat 8
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    A warm meal will typically keep you filling full longer than a cold one. A nice thermos or work microwave can be your friend.
    a lot of times, I'll toast my bread, nuke sandwich meat and have a great lunch.
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like to put 5 egg whites in a microwaveable dish and then cut up 2 sclices of low sodium turkey bacon. You can also put in mushroom, cheese, spinach or whatever your want really. Microwave for 4 minutes and you have a fresh omlet! Very very yummy, high in protein and low in fat and sodium.
  • mscott123
    mscott123 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try Kashi frozen entrees...they have WAY less sodium than say, Lean Cuisines & are DELICIOUS! I'm addicted to the pesto pasta primavera: )
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    Instead of lunch meat, I usually buy a rotisserie chicken from the super market, and use the white meat on sandwiches or wraps. It tastes so much better than lunch meat!
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    looking for ideas too
  • JooleySchmooze
    JooleySchmooze Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you have to eat out, try the southwest salad from McDonald's. I'm not sure about the sodium but it is low in calories (1/2 package of dressing) and REALLY tasty. Lots of different flavors so I feel more satisfied.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm having a can of no sodium added tuna and a can of no sodium added beans for lunch.

Like 2.50 total.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Also - instead of lunch meat:

Egg salad - 1 whole & 1 egg white - celery & a little bit of light mayo. Extra hard boiled egg white adds lots of protein & no fat.

Tuna salad - 1 can (5.5 oz) makes 2 days worth. 2 Tbl ea. light mayo & pickle relish
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    When you cook dinner, make enough to bring for lunch as well
    I usually make 2 lbs of chicken breast on sunday which makes up for most of my lunch and dinner Monday - Thursday.
    I also make a ton of sauteed brussel sprouts and roasted broccoli and have those as my side dishes with the chicken.