diatomaceous earth

Options

Replies

• Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Zul-Drak is a great place to farm these.

Nice one!
  • Shaayness
    Shaayness Posts: 2 Member
    Options

LOL
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    We use this to kill scorpions around the house
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    LOL Yes, clay is all natural and organic. Doesn't make it food.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The feed store in my town currently has a sign up that says, "We now carry food grade diatemaceous earth!" I looked it up and assumed that they meant it was, like, appropriate for organic gardens or something.

OP, care to explain?
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The pool filter kind is not FOOD GRADE. Food grade de is added to animal feed to keep insect pests out and is supposedly safe to eat.

However I would not eat it.
  • RobinShay
    RobinShay Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    WHAT? DIRT??? I GUESS I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE LOGIC? IS THERE LOGIC? Does it have an earthy taste??? *giggle*
  • RobinShay
    RobinShay Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok I just researched it. Still wouldn't eat it. Let us know how it works for you.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    People take calcium supplements made from oyster shells. Glucosamine and Chondroitin can come from shellfish and shark cartilage. Many minerals we need for healthy (iron, copper, etc) are abundant in soil. Sodium comes from mines or the ocean.

Why is diatomaceous earth so freaky and different?

I don't take it because I haven't had need of it, but it's not really all that different from other things humans commonly take for their health. :laugh:
  • PaulRosenberg206
    PaulRosenberg206 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We use it in the yard waste/compost bin to discourage maggots.
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is so strange to me. I studied marine and environmental science, so of course we learned all about diatoms. I'm pretty sure they are in toothpaste (or some) - possibly for the abrasive quality? But eating diatomaceous earth? I've primarily known it to be used as a natural insect repellent - or as a component of integrated pest management for farming - because the diatoms basically act as tiny shards of glass to insects. Not quite something I'd want going down the hatch... As far as joint pain, I think I'd stick to glucosamine sulfate and fish oil capsules.
  • megdtuttle
    megdtuttle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do! I use it for: myself (smoothies, water, etc) my pets: Mix with wet food occassionally and to keep bugs out of the house (sprinkle it around the doors)
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    bump, I heard it was an ant killer
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input. I was just curious about what others thought of this product.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    If I was going to eat any type of soil it would be bentonite/montmorillonite/smectite.

Certain variations have proven safe in multiple animal studies (I'm on a couple) and it sorbs some toxins (particularly aflatoxin, a potent liver carcinogen and toxin found in corn and peanuts due to mold) and can help protect the intestinal villi.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    People take calcium supplements made from oyster shells. Glucosamine and Chondroitin can come from shellfish and shark cartilage. Many minerals we need for healthy (iron, copper, etc) are abundant in soil. Sodium comes from mines or the ocean.

Why is diatomaceous earth so freaky and different?

I don't take it because I haven't had need of it, but it's not really all that different from other things humans commonly take for their health. :laugh:
    Did you really just ask why it's weird to eat dirt?
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options

omg

perfect human being
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    See, my first thought was Ungoro Crater.
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The D-Earth used in pool filters is different than the food grade kind. The food grade kind is safe to eat. I have taken it before for extended periods of time and had zero negative side effects. I mix about a tablespoon of it into a smoothie or with some non-dairy milk, or peanut butter. I also mix about a teaspoon into my cats' wet food. I sprinkle in my home as a non-toxic way to get rid of bugs, occasionally I brush it into their fur to deter fleas, and I also sprinkle it in my cats' litter box to absorb odor and deter flies.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The D-Earth used in pool filters is different than the food grade kind. The food grade kind is safe to eat. I have taken it before for extended periods of time and had zero negative side effects. I mix about a tablespoon of it into a smoothie or with some non-dairy milk, or peanut butter. I also mix about a teaspoon into my cats' wet food. I sprinkle in my home as a non-toxic way to get rid of bugs, occasionally I brush it into their fur to deter fleas, and I also sprinkle it in my cats' litter box to absorb odor and deter flies.
    Why do you take it? I assume you don't have fleas.