Body for Life?

Looking to add strength training into my workouts and am exploring different plans. I've only been on MFP for about a month and at a beginners level regarding exercise.

I ran across Body for Life at a local book store and it looked interesting. Has anyone used it or is using it? Thoughts? Comments? Results? Other exercise plan options?

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    If you want to get into strength training your best bet would be:

Starting Strength. Read the book, do the program.
    A 5x5 program until linear progress stalls.

At that point you should be a good year into weight training and could look into something like 5/3/1 if you're wanting to focus on getting stronger.
  • FATBOYBGONE
    FATBOYBGONE Posts: 35 Member
    If you want to get into strength training your best bet would be:

Starting Strength. Read the book, do the program.
    A 5x5 program until linear progress stalls.

At that point you should be a good year into weight training and could look into something like 5/3/1 if you're wanting to focus on getting stronger.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    I second this advice. Try a simple plan:

Moderate caloric deficit
    Plenty of protein
    Progressive strength program 3 days per week
    Alternate steady-state and HIIT cardio several days per week

Your mileage may vary but this kind of plan works well for most people in the long run.
  • FATBOYBGONE
    I second this advice. Try a simple plan:

Moderate caloric deficit
    Plenty of protein
    Progressive strength program 3 days per week
    Alternate steady-state and HIIT cardio several days per week

Your mileage may vary but this kind of plan works well for most people in the long run.

Thanks for your insight. Appreciate it.
  • FATBOYBGONE
    BUMP
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    I've done BFL off an on several times. The workouts are good solid workouts if you stick with it. If you watch your diet closely, make sure you get enough protein, and do the workouts as prescribed in the book, you'll lose some weight.
    Do not expect to look like the examples in the book by the end of 1 cycle though. That's a marketing gimmick....many of those people did more work than what the book calls for....this was (maybe still is) a promotion for EAS and as such, there was a monetary prize available, so some people did far more cardio and or weight lifting to win the prize. This also provided pictures to be used in promotionals (ie...the BFL book).

Adding muscle is always a good idea though, so don't let the above information stop you from taking on that 12 week challenge. Just know that it's only a starting point for muscle building.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I have not done it, but I worked with a couple guiys who did, and they both had some pretty impressive results from it.
    Many years later now, they have both stopped exercising and put on at least double the weight they lost when on the program. But thier results while on it were really impressive, I will say that.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    There is a diet that goes with it-and a book Eating for Life. I looked at it carefully since my husband's endocrinologist recommended the diet piece of it. The thing I found a little surprising was he does not offer any explicit guidance around portion size, calorie or macronutrient count. He simply says if you are active and eat healthy foods you appetite will regulate your portions. This is crazy to me a lot of people have food addiction issues, especially obese people, and they need guidance on what is a normal portion to meet their nutritional needs.

I've made a few of the recipes including the asian chicken salad and turkey meatloaf for my family and they were good.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    I've done it and like it quite a bit.

the eating for life cookbook is great, easy for the most part and yummy
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    There is a diet that goes with it-and a book Eating for Life. I looked at it carefully since my husband's endocrinologist recommended the diet piece of it. The thing I found a little surprising was he does not offer any explicit guidance around portion size, calorie or macronutrient count. He simply says if you are active and eat healthy foods you appetite will regulate your portions. This is crazy to me a lot of people have food addiction issues, especially obese people, and they need guidance on what is a normal portion to meet their nutritional needs.

I've made a few of the recipes including the asian chicken salad and turkey meatloaf for my family and they were good.

Bill Phillips, the author of the two books (and a 3rd one I haven't read) stated that EFL is for those who have already reached their goals with BFL. In the first book (BFL) there he gives guidance on serving sizes and details out the diet with "appoved" foods and tells you to stay away from foods not in that list. Basically, each meal during BFL is a protein serving, a carb serving, and a fat serving. The macro percentage breakdown usually comes out around 40(c)/40(p)/20(f).
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    I think BFL is fantastic - it is nice to see a plan that emphasizes efficiency in workouts instead of the "eat this food and workout for hours every day" mentality. Most folks don't have the time to spend a whole evening in the gym or to hit it up twice a day (I get up at 4:15am and don't get to go to bed until around 11p, so I know I certainly don't!). Bill is great at showing you how to maximize results in minimal time and the eating plan is good, too. It is a fantastic start to a lifestyle change, which you will find is also emphasized in the books.

I say go for it. You will see results for sure and like I said, it's a great blueprint for changing your life.
  • tmoroney
    tmoroney Posts: 3 Member
    I used it several years ago, and combined with eating appropriately, it really did work! I was the best that I've ever been. Just started back again at the gym, and will be starting the program again!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    My dad lived by that book for a long time. He still does I believe and has lost a good amount of weight. I ran past him at work one day and thought he was someone else from a distance. But he said before it had a lot of amazing tips and advice and all that in there. Nothing to lose by checking it out! :)
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    I don't know this book, but I've found "New rules for Weight Lifting" to be very helpful in putting together a long term program customized around my needs.
  • Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Book is good advice I did it and will again. Eating uses protein the size of your palm and carb the size of your fist and veggie the size of your fist 6 times a day worked out for me to around 1800 calories MFP has me at the approx same thing. Seems like everyone is close. Workouts are based on how intense you follow them be true to yourself and workout hard.
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    I would strongly recommend BFL. I have been using it for a number of years. My biggest problem has been the diet part. Hard for me to be discplined in that area. The BFL program has the right approach to it using six small meals a day. you can actually set up MFP to do that in the food goal section

The exercise routine is excellent. 30 minutes a day alternating cardio and weight training. In the interest of time I will often do two workouts a day to cut down on my drive time and prep time at the gym. It takes me longer to drive there and back etc than 30 minutes I would spend exercising. You really don"t need to be spending hours and hours at the gym to get results.

The program offers structure and discipline to you workouts and diet, its easy effective.

Remember its Body for Life.. not til I lose x number of pounds, etc

The also offer a 90 day challenge you can enter if your up for it.

Its been mentioned on here alot that taking before and after pics is helpful..BFL recommends that as well.

Good Luck if I can answer any other questions let me know
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    I did it a few years back and saw good results, but I've gotten better results with Starting Strength/5x5 like people have already mentioned.

I just started back lifting a coupla weeks ago and am using sean10mm's stripped 5x5. it's a good starter plan. Check it out:

http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html
  • I have done it and had great results! No, I did not look like one of the people in the book but I was happy. I have been to one to the BFL seminars with Bill Phillips and there are great people and great results.
  • FATBOYBGONE
    Thank you all for your advice, opinions, and points of view. They have all been informative and great!

Keep them coming if anyone else out there has more to offer. Going to rip into something starting next week when I return home from business. Thanks again!
  • kritty2
    kritty2 Posts: 8
    Actually he does give guidance on portion sizes. A portion should be the size of your fist (a potato) or the palm of your hand (a piece of chicken).

I did BFL after having my first child, and had gotten to wk 10, with fabulous results - lower weight and stronger than before pregnancy, when I found out I was pregnant with my second child. The exercise program is great and manageable. Now, after failing to take care of myself for, ummm, a really long time, I am starting it again - kind of excited!