Serious Question about Alcohol

Ok, this may have been discussed before but I run 3 miles three days a week (mon, wed, fri) I also lift weights on the off days and play basketball about 4 days a week. In total I work out 6 days a week. I also like to drink beer especially a nice cold one waiting for me right after a run in the hot sun (drink two maybe three days a week, oner or two beers).

I was told the following: Alcohal is really bad for you on days when you work out its bad for your muscles and recovery. I dont know why they didnt give a reason but is alcohol counterproductive on days I excercise? I know the excess calories is bad and I stay within my daily calorie alotment when I drink. I just want to know if there are bad side effects or if it is counter productive on the days I lift, or the days I run or do cardio.

Any information is appreciated, as I dont want to stop my beer.

Replies

• ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    As far as i know, the only issue might be dehydration. Marathoners often have beer after to replenish calories. I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially as it is not extremely high in alcohol content
  • rugby1725
    rugby1725 Posts: 4
    Dehydration would be the number one concern in my mind. Basically there's a hormone (vasopressin) that helps moderate how much water your body holds and alcohol inhibits it. Therefore your body just starts flushing water out. This can be a major concern if you have a heavy activity day and then drink heavily, which is why I used to be really hungover after playing rugby and drinking all day and night. Then I found a little advice that several overseas rugby teams use, "Don't p*** until you p***". For those that don't know in several overseas countries "being on the p***" is the same as saying I'm drinking. So basically it translates to after a game drink water until you pee then you can switch to alcohol.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Dehydration is the biggest issue. And it can be a serious one. If you're going to drink after a run, have at least 24 oz of water before that beer. And follow it with at least that much again.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Some people say it also interferes with muscle synthesis. Alcohol in moderation is fine, the only time you will see a noticable problem is if you drink too much at once..you will become very dehydrated and it could effect your next training session
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Yup, the dehydration thing. Just be sure to up your water and you should be fine. I won't give up my beer either :wink: :drinker:
  • mateo57505
    mateo57505 Posts: 83 Member
    Thank you!!! All the information is greatly appreciatd.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    All of the issues are debateable. But the one's I've kind of believed and/or experienced myself are:

Alcohol can increase estrogen levels.
    Alcohol dehydrates you which hurts recovery.
    Alcohol ruins your quality of sleep, which hurts recovery.

Personally it bothers my stomach the next day so I don't eat well.
    I can't train as hard if I'm hungover or dehydrated.
    Why waste 600 cals drinking when I could be eating chicken or steak and improving my recovery between workouts.

Alcohol is fine. You just have to decide what your goals are and how serious you are about them.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    In my opinion, based on knowing a lot of people who consume alcohol and those who don't,
    alcohol affects everyone differently.

If *your* muscles aren't overly sore, don't sweat it. try not drinking a beer a few times after a run and see how your muscles feel.

I know guys who work out when we're on vacation for an hour, after lunch, they drink all day, into the night, bac at the room at 2 a.m. and do it all over again. They don't drink to get drunk, many of us don't. We drink because we like to drink and many of us don't get hangovers. we get up monday morning after drinking til midnight, they get to work on time and are productive and life is happy. A few of our guys still keep up there 7 day work out routines. Look at hashers and rugby players who end their play at a pub. Some people handle it, some can't.

Listening to your body is best, and make sure you otherwise drink plenty of water.