WWMFPD?

Options
My family likes to eat; alot, and NOT healthy by any means. Example of not healthy? My little brothers birthday is tonight and my step mom ordered 10 pounds of chicken strips and 3 pounds of mac and cheese with rolls. I swear I can taste the grease and feel the fat coming out of my pores now! She will be super offended if I dont eat her food but I really dont want to eat this. How in the H E L L can I avoid this?

So please....what would MFP do?

Replies

• KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Compromise - have some chicken strips, bring your own salad, and get in a little bit of exercise if you can. :-)
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You know what, i totally thought about bringing my own salad :)
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Bring your own salad.
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    Oh man. Love me some chicken strips. Have a few for me. I'll exercise an extra half hour for 'em....
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Take your own dinner/eat before you go over...
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    And as for her being offended if you don't eat her food, she'll get over it - I'm sure there's been worse things she's had to deal with :-)
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    How about bringing some wraps? Wrap the chicken strips with some lettuce / tomato...?
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    or.... just be honest with her :-) She might actually be pretty good about it
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Take salad for everyone. Tell her you wanted to help with the dinner. You could eat a small amount of her food and a large portion of salad. You can allow the calories for it, and no one should be offended.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    Bring a LARGE salad, that everyone can have :) or bring some wraps and lettuce and make a chicken strip wrap and salad? then you are offering for everyone :)
  • chunkydunk714
    Options
    trust me...she will get offended if I dont eat the food she spent money on. I wish it were that easy but its not.

BUT its time to start putting me first and stop worrying about what others might think. Partially why im 30 pounds overweight!

Honesty is the best policy and I think Im going to bring my own food :)
  • chunkydunk714
    Options
    I like the take your own salad for everyone idea!
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bring a LARGE salad, that everyone can have :) or bring some wraps and lettuce and make a chicken strip wrap and salad? then you are offering for everyone :)

Do both, bring salad and wraps for everyone, you might be surprised who else wants to eat healthier but was afraid to offend ;)
  • julietfayexo
    Options
    Whenever I know that I'll be eating something that's not that healthy for me I ALWAYS plan to excersize ahead of time. Take a walk during your lunch break or go for a bike ride after dinner. That way you can eat (almost) whatever you want, and not feel bad about it.
  • cre8inmee
    cre8inmee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The worst thing you can do to YOU is abandon your goals to please others, smooth over their feelings. It's a big life lesson - whether it's about our eating, or how we conduct ourselves in life. Bring a salad - or whatever you'd prefer - and gently explain to her that you're not judging her choices, but for YOU, you've found a way of eating that is working better for you. Give her a hug, and dig out your meal!!
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I say bring a salad (and some fresh veggies or something) allow yourself 1 piece of chicken bc you know its prob like 300 (or +) calories. This way you have some of the food, but your primary source of dinner will be healthy food you bring.
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    This doesnt happen everyday. Rather than tell your mom, i wont be eating your food cos it is unhealthy, i think the salad and the wrap idea is a good one. Eat very little out of it and eat more of your salad. Putting you first does not mean you have to hurt others. Just my opinion.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    My family likes to eat; alot, and NOT healthy by any means. Example of not healthy? My little brothers birthday is tonight and my step mom ordered 10 pounds of chicken strips and 3 pounds of mac and cheese with rolls. I swear I can taste the grease and feel the fat coming out of my pores now! She will be super offended if I dont eat her food but I really dont want to eat this. How in the H E L L can I avoid this?

So please....what would MFP do?

Yes, compromise by

1) Eat a bit before going so you won't be as tempted to over do it and some extra exercise minutes
    2) Take a salad with you
    3) Having 1 or 2 chicken strips and 1/2 ( or less if you can get away with it) of the mac and cheese. I would try and avoid the bread especially if their will be cake and you will be having a small piece of that.

Most of all take this as a learning experience, learning to maneuver through real life situations is apart of making this a life style change rather than the dreaded D word. You have to learn to make the best choices from the given choices. Good luck and enjoy
  • HeartlessHarlot
    HeartlessHarlot Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My Mother In Law is like this. She gets upset if you don't eat what she has yet will not listen when I try to explain I am trying to change my lifestyle to a healthy one.

What I've done is ask if she is making a salad or wants me to make one. If she's not making one, I bring one, even if she asks me not to. Then I just bring my own low cal dressing and ad a few ounces of whatever meat she has to it. Even if I'm tossing fried chicken on top, a few ounces on top of 3 cups of salad with veggies isn't going to kill my count.

Keeps the peace at family dinners, at least for me.
  • chunkydunk714
    Options
    :smile: I LOVE everyones responses. The support is amazing, thank you! I will def. keep all of your suggestions in mind for tonight as well for future reference.