Vegetable Steamer?

Options
Halleeon
Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
I'd like to be able to take raw vegetables to work and steam them in the microwave when I'm having meals. Ideally, I will have already chopped up the vegetables. I would like to put them into a meal-sized container that doubles as a microwave-safe small steamer. Note, that I want to eat just one serving of veggies at a time and am not looking for a steamer that does a really large amount. I hope this makes sense...Any suggestions?

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I just have a regular black and decker veggie steamer and love it. Don't know about microwave ones.
  • ncytiz
    ncytiz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Look for the ziploc steamer bags. They're amazing!
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the brand, but back when husband and I were just dating, I picked up a cheap plastic microwave thing from Target that did double duty as a rice cooker and vegetable steamer for about $10. It was even top rack dishwasher safe. He used to use that thing every day. It made his bachelor pad meals a lot more varied too. :P

It looked a lot like this: http://www.target.com/p/nordicware-rice-cooker/-/A-694598

The only reason he isn't still using it is because I had an nice electric rice cooker. So the plastic one went to Goodwill with some of our other kitchen duplicates.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Look for the ziploc steamer bags. They're amazing!

OH I may have to try this, thanks! I bet it's faster?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Any microwavable pot.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have one from Pampered Chef. I think it's called a "micro steamer."

We use it almost every night during the winter. (Because in the summer, we're more likely to grill our veggies.)
  • mhtnurse
    mhtnurse Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a small pasta and veggie steamer. It allows me to put water in the bottom and whole wheat pasta, then I top rack allows me to put vegetables on it for steaming. I think I paid $10 dollars for it. It is plastic and really easy to use. Otherwise, I am like the rest of the group. Get some steamer bags. Even cheaper.