Cardio Intensity vs Duration

Options
I currently do 20 min exercise biking per session (3-4 days per week) at a level 16 (pretty vigorous) and am wondering would it be more beneficial to increase the duration or the intensity? I don't think I could do a higher level for more time I already struggle to to complete the level 16 for 20. I am thinking about dropping to a 14 and going longer.

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals.

Either way theres nothing wrong with switching things up.
    1 day you could do intervals, 1 day do a lower level for longer time, and another day do a high level for a moderate time.

There's no right or wrong way, just look for a way to guage progression.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Do you want to train to go longer or harder?
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals.

Either way theres nothing wrong with switching things up.
    1 day you could do intervals, 1 day do a lower level for longer time, and another day do a high level for a moderate time.

There's no right or wrong way, just look for a way to guage progression.

Exactly^^
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Do you want to train to go longer or harder?

I do my cardio for an hour or more and it doesn't help me to go any longer or harder.......just saying.
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    I was just reading a book that just addressed this very thing. Either is desirable, as long as you do it. Your body sort of adjusts to your 20 minutes, so to continue to challenge your muscles and body, you need to do either: change the duration or the intensity. It's really up to you. If you want to keep your workouts short, up the intensity.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could do a higher level for more time.

bah. don't defeat yourself before you try ;)