18yr F, 137.8LBS, 5'3Ft - NEEDS HELP

Options
This week I started a 1,200 calorie diet. However before this I was well below with about a 600-800 calorie diet. I know it was unhealthy but I lack the knowledge to loose weight a healthier way. I am tired alot when on the low cal diet and I am not that active. I work about once a week for 8 hours and I have run in the mornings 13 min miles. Also, I wake up between 6-7am and go to bed early. I need advice on what to eat and how to loose weight the healthy way. If need be add me to look at my diary. Any help is appreciated.

Summary:
-Sleeps good
-Need tips on a healthy 1200 cal diet
-Needs information about energy inducing foods/tips

Replies

• cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Im a lot older than you I realize... I'm 5'3 and 154. I recall being 137 when I was about your age and I felt REALLY GOOD at that weight. That seems like a good healthy weight to me.
  • Ldfmoose
    Ldfmoose Posts: 2
    Options
    My family has been using recipes from eatingwell.com with great success. Planning, shopping and cooking on a schedule has got us all eating better. FWIW!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I will add you as a friend. The best foods for energy are lean proteins (chicken, fish, lean turkey) and complex carbs (oatmeal whole grains, sweet potato), they give you lasting energy with less of a crash. Do you like to cook/make your own food? or do you prefer to go out/pick something up?
  • workkoutchick96
    Options
    bump
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would suggest focusing on eathing healthy and maybe some strength training to really change your composition. I think you are at a good weight...and that should be less of a concern.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    At your age and without much to lose, I would focus on increasing your daily activity level rather than trying to restrict calories so much. Move more! Walk, jog, go shopping, wash the car, mop the floors, etc. It doesn't have to be true "exercise" but just move more in general. Then you get to eat more, which in turn will give you more energy to move more!
  • instaloss_challenge
    Options
    I love oatmeal and I do enjoy cooking for myself I only want to loose 7 lbs but this sluggish lack of energy drives me crazy. Also if any one knows about sugars in regard to sugars in fruits vs other forms of sugar please give me a over view!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I weigh exactly the same as you and I'm the same height. I used to try to lose weight by eating very little too. It doesn't work lol Even if it does, you end up gaining it all back. I've been eating 1200 calories a day and working out for an hour 6 days a week. I've been losing weight steadily and I feel GREAT. I just think what you need to remember is it's not only how many calories you eat that matters its WHAT those calories consist of. I personally have stopped eating out entirely (unless there's no other option). Making my own food at home has helped me IMMENSELY. Lots of fruits, veggies and lean proteins and you should be fine.
  • instaloss_challenge
    Options
    * 7lbs , as of right now. my final goal is 123lbs.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Meat, whether that's chicken, fish or beef will make a huge difference, really it's the protein but meat is the easiest way to get it unless you are a vegan.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I would suggest focusing on eathing healthy and maybe some strength training to really change your composition. I think you are at a good weight...and that should be less of a concern.

I think being at a good weight depends on your body composition/type. The range of "good weights" for someone 5'3" is from around 110-135.

That being said, make sure you EAT all your 1200 cals each day. I eat 4-5 smallish meals (150-250 cals) each day and 1 larger meal (300-450 cals) and eat about half my exercise cals back. My diary is open to friends so if you wanna see it, add me! My ticker says I've lost 0 lbs but I've actually lost 12 so far--I set my starting weight wrong and can't figure out how to change it.
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruits is okay, just don't overdue it! There's a website called skinnytaste.com, I love it! Gives me plenty of yummy recipes! I would do some strength training and light cardio! Good Luck!!!
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This week I started a 1,200 calorie diet. However before this I was well below with about a 600-800 calorie diet. I know it was unhealthy but I lack the knowledge to loose weight a healthier way. I am tired alot when on the low cal diet and I am not that active. I work about once a week for 8 hours and I have run in the mornings 13 min miles. Also, I wake up between 6-7am and go to bed early. I need advice on what to eat and how to loose weight the healthy way. If need be add me to look at my diary. Any help is appreciated.

Summary:
    -Sleeps good

The reason you were tired on the lower cal diet was because you weren't eating enough for your body to function properly. Your BMR is 1,466. That means your body needs 1,466 calories per day just to function properly. (If you were in a coma, you would require that many calories as you lie in a hospital bed.) Eating less than that makes your body store any nutrition it gets, and slows your metabolism down. I would aim for your BMR, but you shouldn't go any lower than 1,200 calories a day (especially if you want more energy!).

To hit that goal, I'd suggest nonfat Greek yogurt (outstanding source of protein), lean meats, lots of fruits & veggies, and very limited processed food. Indulge in your cravings (in moderation) so you aren't feeling deprived. Just by tracking your foods on this website, you'll start to get a really good idea of what you're putting in your body, and you'll learn what's worth the calories and what isn't. Getting enough fuel for your body will also give you more energy, and maybe you can start moving more, exercising, and being active. Oh! And drink LOTS OF WATER!!

Good luck!
  • hheater
    hheater Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Honestly girl...it sounds to me like you're not eating nearly enough. There's a reason why you're feeling sluggish and tired. Go to scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-counter/ and plug in your numbers. I already did it according to the stats you gave us...and your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate...what your body burns when you're not moving at all...think coma) is 1460. If you want to maintain your weight you need 2007 calories a day...or, if you want to lose around a lb a week, you need 1706. I know it sounds like a lot...but I'm serious. The low calorie diet stuff is not sustainable. Fuel your metabolism and your body...and start while you're young! It took me awhile to get back on track...and now I'm so much stronger and have energy.
  • instaloss_challenge
    Options

Summary:
    -Sleeps good

The reason you were tired on the lower cal diet was because you weren't eating enough for your body to function properly. Your BMR is 1,466. That means your body needs 1,466 calories per day to just to function properly. (If you were in a coma, you would require that many calories as you lie in a hospital bed.) Eating less than that makes your body store any nutrition it gets, and slows your metabolism down. I would aim for your BMR, but you shouldn't go any lower than 1,200 calories a day.

To hit that goal, I'd suggest nonfat Greek yogurt (outstanding source of protein), lean meats, lots of fruits & veggies, and very limited processed food. Indulge in your cravings (in moderation) so you aren't feeling deprived. Just by tracking your foods on this website, you'll start to get a really good idea of what you're putting in your body, and you'll learn what's worth the calories and what isn't.

Good luck!

Thank you this was the exact type of post i was looking for so I should be eating 1,466? That explains this dragging feeling. And I will stop eating proccessed foods as well. So this includes cheese singles and things like hotdogs..or? Can you elaborate on this please?
  • instaloss_challenge
    Options
    Honestly girl...it sounds to me like you're not eating nearly enough. There's a reason why you're feeling sluggish and tired. Go to scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-counter/ and plug in your numbers. I already did it according to the stats you gave us...and your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate...what your body burns when you're not moving at all...think coma) is 1460. If you want to maintain your weight you need 2007 calories a day...or, if you want to lose around a lb a week, you need 1706. I know it sounds like a lot...but I'm serious. The low calorie diet stuff is not sustainable. Fuel your metabolism and your body...and start while you're young! It took me awhile to get back on track...and now I'm so much stronger and have energy.

I'll do that but what should these 1400 calories consist of whats okay, what's not? Can some one please look at my diary and tell me where I am going wrong?
  • mcginger1
    Options
    I realize not everyone is a reader, but two books by Michael Pollan changed my entire thinking of food. "In Defense of Food", and "The Omnivores Dilemma". Just FYI. :) But you MUST learn to read labels.

In terms of REAL food, his suggestion is to not eat anything with more than 5 ingredients in it. For example:
    Don't buy cheese slices (they're oil and fillers) - buy REAL cheese.
    Don't use Egg Beaters. They're touted as being "egg whites", but what are all the other ingredients on the label? I crack an egg and dispose of the yolks. It take another minute or two, but it's cheaper, and I know exactly what's inside that shell.
    Eat the fruit - don't drink the juice! Fruit juices are mostly sugar. But if you eat the fruit, it will be less sugar, and added fiber. Your body needs these things!
    Use butter, not margarine (again, butter is made of cream & salt... what's margarine made of?)
    Fresh fruits, veggies, and beans. Try to avoid anything with added salt or preservatives, jarred, canned, or in snack packs.
    Natural, uncured meats (no nitrates or nitrites) - Hormel's Natural Select are awesome.

I could go on for awhile, but these are just a couple tips. Your body will respond in a very short amount of time. But I can't emphasize it enough - you must drink lots of water. No sodas, not even diet. Diet sodas are one of the worst things you can put in your body.
    :)
  • mcginger1
    Options
    Hi... me again. :)

I looked at your food diary, and you seem to be eating some really good things. I just don't think you're eating enough of them - especially not enough to boost your energy. Keep an eye on your goal numbers at the bottom, and try to come up with foods that will keep you within your counts.

I've edited my counts to conform to the "Zone" portion formula - 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat. I don't think MFP requires enough protein and allows too many carbs... but that's just my preference. Protein is huge in terms of maintaining your muscle mass, which burns more calories than fat.
  • instaloss_challenge
    Options
    I realize not everyone is a reader, but two books by Michael Pollan changed my entire thinking of food. "In Defense of Food", and "The Omnivores Dilemma". Just FYI. :) But you MUST learn to read labels.

In terms of REAL food, his suggestion is to not eat anything with more than 5 ingredients in it. For example:
    Don't buy cheese slices (they're oil and fillers) - buy REAL cheese.
    Don't use Egg Beaters. They're touted as being "egg whites", but what are all the other ingredients on the label? I crack an egg and dispose of the yolks. It take another minute or two, but it's cheaper, and I know exactly what's inside that shell.
    Eat the fruit - don't drink the juice! Fruit juices are mostly sugar. But if you eat the fruit, it will be less sugar, and added fiber. Your body needs these things!
    Use butter, not margarine (again, butter is made of cream & salt... what's margarine made of?)
    Fresh fruits, veggies, and beans. Try to avoid anything with added salt or preservatives, jarred, canned, or in snack packs.
    Natural, uncured meats (no nitrates or nitrites) - Hormel's Natural Select are awesome.

I could go on for awhile, but these are just a couple tips. Your body will respond in a very short amount of time. But I can't emphasize it enough - you must drink lots of water. No sodas, not even diet. Diet sodas are one of the worst things you can put in your body.
    :)

I love this post too! and I do like to read! Also, i am very pro water and I will only drink water or milk. Thank you everyone for posting this is very helpful! I will adjust my goal to the "Zone" portion formula too thank you!

UPDATE: I JUST wighed myself and I weigh 136.5 not 137.8 as I previously thought.
  • hheater
    hheater Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster....eat CLEAN as much as possible. That means foods that are not processed and are real. :) Also try to keep your protein nice and high. Everything else will follow after that. And that 1400 ish calories is your BARE bones minimum! I would suggest even eating more than that. You may gain in the first week...but I would suggest putting that scale away for a couple weeks and just getting your metabolism rarin' again. When you're fueling your body, the fat will come off by itself. Your body is a very intelligent machine.