Oatmeal, UGH!

Options
Okay, I am starting to eat oatmeal (regular, add water, stovetop). I want to find out different ways to noticeably sweeten the oatmeal. I am turned on to oatmeal because I can have as much as a bowl of cereal, but it will fill me up better and for about half the calories. Problem being: it is so BLAND. This morning I tried adding a Valencia orange to it, while it was cooking. The flavor of the oatmeal swallowed the flavor of the orange, with no flavor output. when I ate the orange pieces, I could barely taste them.
I am going to try Cinnamon and splenda next, but what will increase flavor in the oatmeal drastically without adding too much in calories, or sugar content? This is for one regular ceral bowl of oatmeal. Any ideas? My pantry is not that exotic, so please keep it more basic.

P.S. This is W/O the help of a microwave. I choose not to have one. helps with consumation control (effort is needed to make the food, so less is consumed)

Replies

• Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    Raw Honey, Agava, Raisins, Raw Sugar, Nuts, Cranberries, Cinnamon :flowerforyou:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    look for overnight oatmeal, they have lots of different things to put in oatmeal. I tried it and don't like it but i don't like oatmeal except in cookies.
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    I LOVE oatmeal. I don't know why, but I do.

My favorites:
    Cinnamon & raisins
    Cinnamon & sliced apple
    Banana (makes it sweet, but doesn't add a ton of flavor)
    Strawberries

and then there's my absolute favorite:
    banana, 1.5T cocoa powder, 1/4t vanilla extract, 1 pkt stevia, 5-10 choc. chips
    (recipe courtesy chocolatecoveredkatie.com, approx 350 calories per serving)
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon apples. Cut up an apple, put in a microwavable bowl, add sweetner of choice, dash of cinnamon. Microwave about 6 minutes or until apples are soft. I make large bowls of these in the fall/winter and keep on hand for my kids' breakfasts.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Try steel cut oats. They taste better and the texture is soooooooo much better. I put fruit in mine. Sometimes a spoon of honey. Frozen blueberries are my fav.

I finally bought some more yesterday, had been out a while. The steel cut oats cost a little more so I only buy them when I'm at store in Fort Worth, they have it in bulk there and it's about $3 less than quaker or another brand.

I eat more of it in the winter though.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free syrup or blueberries and vanilla protein mix
  • emmoen1
    emmoen1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate so I add whey chocolate protein powder to my oatmeal.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I just started eating oatmeal, and I use 3/4 cup of milk, 2 tablespoons of granola with honey, and today I added 1/2 cup of blueberries. With that and my coffee it was about 320 calories! The granola give it a sweeter taste and adds a little crunch. I put it in the oatmeal after it is done.
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Honey, peanut butter, bananas, blueberries, craisins/raisins. I also add flax seed and it gives a nutty flavor
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    regular oatmeal realllly sucks, Id try steel cut oats. They have more flavor, but I'd try bananas, crushed walnuts, and cinnamon in it. Also raisins, bananas, and any nuts are delicious. Id try to stay away from artificial sweetener if you can.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I really like the sugar free version of Hungry Jack syrup, or a tablespoon of brown sugar.

Frozen/fresh blueberries (or any fruit) are also good.

You could add in flavored greek yogurt for a boost of sweet and protein.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yeah man, you gotta add the swole to your oatmeal.

1/2 cup dry oats
    1/3 cup lactose free milk
    2 scoop vanilla protein powder
    3 whole eggs
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp stevia
    1 tbsp natty PB
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I haven't made this yet, but my God, it looks like the most amazing oatmeal ever made.

http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2009/05/peanut-butter-baked-oatmeal.html
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    mmmm.... oatmeal. I eat oatmeal almost every day. I sweeten it with a teensy bit of brown sugar sometimes. Or sometimes, if I'm really hungry, I'll add Isopure protein powder (no carbs). Also, Peanut Butter!!! That is my favorite! Oatmeal is so great, because it's all about YOU and what you will like! Try different things! Nuts, dried fruit, frozen fruit, different natural sweeteners, even the "secret ingredient" I tell my kids about.... REAL Maple syrup. :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    cinnamon for sure. When I was little, my mom used to cut up apples and put in with the oatmeal as it cooked - delish!
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Add any yummy tasting protein powder to it. :) Favorite thing ever right now, so filling!
  • dkoroschetz
    dkoroschetz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate so I add whey chocolate protein powder to my oatmeal.

I tried this and it just didn't taste good to me. I must have mixed it wrong!
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Raw Honey, Agava, Raisins, Raw Sugar, Nuts, Cranberries, Cinnamon :flowerforyou:

This, also, flavored agave is awesome. I also really like Chocolate protein powder (I prefer Hemp) in mine. Chai seeds, granola, I've even thrown in a packet (or half) of hot apple cider or hot chocolate for flavor, it's good.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Definitely blueberries!!!! And a little brown sugar splenda on top. Delish!