Beer vs. Diet Soda

Options
Beer or Diet Soda
Which is more detrimental to weight loss and why?
Which is more detrimental to overall health and why?

Replies

• awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I can only use my situation in this answer. Neither is detrimental to weight loss, however, the beer has kept me from killing my husband on several occasions, therefore it was detrimental to his health.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    neither and both?

Typically I can have 2 diet sodas and stop. W/ beer, you're usually going to end up drinking more and more.
    And diet soda doesn't give me a hangover, thus screwing up my eating and training for the next day.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I don't drink beer, and aspartame gives me migraines, so I'm not qualified to answer. Dr. Pepper (real, cane sugar if possible) is my poison. Followed closely by sweet iced tea, being a southern girl.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Don't drink diet soda.
    So beer I guess. Yes I drink it and will continue to.
    The calories in excessive drinking in beer and damage to the liver
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    I can only use my situation in this answer. Neither is detrimental to weight loss, however, the beer has kept me from killing my husband on several occasions, therefore it was detrimental to his health.

I so love this woman!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

She nailed it. High five!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Beer has more nutrition.
    Beer makes you happy.
    Beer is God's gift to us.

I choose BEER!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    umm BEER

Diet coke does not make me want to:

Binge eat mcdonalds breaksfat after a night of one too many diet cokes
    Eat wings & Nachos

Diet Coke DOES:

Wake me up
    Gives me energy
    Replaces eating candy/chocolate
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We make our own beer. We even grow the hops in the yard. :) Right now I'm growing mini sugar pumpkins for a fall brew. So as you can see...in my house: beer over diet soda (many times over). :)

I don't eat any artificial sweeteners.

If I'm buying beer I prefer to support small local breweries Vs some large soda corporation (or beer corporation). Support your local brewer!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Beer has more nutrition.
    Beer makes you happy.
    Beer is God's gift to us.

I choose BEER!

Agree!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I drink both and haven't really had any problems. I limit myself to either 1 cup of coffee or 1 diet soda a day, maybe both if I'm really struggling. I'm honestly more concerned with the caffeine content than everything else. My dad is diabetic therefore I grew up on diet soda and think regular is too sweet, otherwise I would drink regular honestly.

I enjoy beer, therefore when I know I'm going to drink, I make sure I save up calories for that week, and am really conscious of what I'm eating and avoid ordering food at all odd/late hours of the night. I've made my compromise by switching out juices in my liquor drinks with soda water, normally because if I'm drinking to get...erm...intoxicated, I'm drinking liquor and if I'm just enjoying a drink or two its beer.

So, diet soda keeps me a happy, normal, functional human being at work, which my bosses like, and beer keeps my sanity from not falling off the deep end and having to be committed from working full time and getting my masters. Clearly both are needed.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Well...

I dont think either is very good for you.

What feeds the soul?

Golden brew of the gods!

Black drink does not fill soul.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Neither.

I don't drink beer, I abhor the taste.
    Diet coke doesn't have any calories and just kills my sugar craving so is beneficial towards my weight loss.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Given the choice, I choose beer. For a number of reasons:

1. Aspartame, and thus by extension diet soda, tastes f***ing gross. (The effect is magnified when the diet coke is mixed with rum.) It's part of the reason I don't drink soda much at all anymore - the regular stuff is too sweet and the diet stuff tastes like *kitten*.

2. I don't know how true it is and I don't care because I don't drink it anyway, but I have heard that aspartame doesn't trip the "stop eating" switch in your brain the way genuine glucose does, so you wind up consuming more because the diet soda doesn't sate your appetite. I'm not about to proselytize about the evils of aspartame, but if this is the case, all the more reason to avoid it.

3. I appreciate beer. Having to account for everything I put in my mouth has made me much more appreciative of what does go in there, and I'd rather spend the calories on a drink I'll enjoy than "save" a few by reaching for a diet soda (if water isn't available, of course).
  • zgochenour
    zgochenour Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Beer is more detrimental to weight loss, no question.

Beer has few if any proven health benefits, not too much nutrition wise, and has tons of calories. Plus if you are inebriated it will be hard to work out, and lower inhibitions can lead to overeating. Diet soda has zero calories and no proven health risks, so it is essentially equivalent to water.

Both could have psychological benefits or psychological detriments. But all else equal, beer is a highly caloric drink (carbs and alcohol, which can be metabolized but has no nutritional benefit and is in fact a toxin) and diet soda is calorie free.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Beer is my down fall. I love it. It can tempt me to far at times but I try to keep in under control. I am not a fan of most diet soda but will have one every once and awhile.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Weight loss - beer, it has calories and causes food cravings. There is only evidence that calorie free soda might cause cravings in some people.

Health- beer, there is lots of clear cut evidence that alcoholism increases your risk of certain cancers, and can lead to psychological issues and serious accidents. There is no CONCLUSIVE study about diet pop ALONE and negative health effects.

I can't believe this would be up for debate in either case? I mean, a few beers won't kill you but alcoholism probably will.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I would probably say beer since it has way more calories and you can drink several of them in a night if you're not watching it. Of course, you can drink several diet sodas too, but I'm not sure the effect of aspartame really copares?