My achilles is revolting. Need some advice!

Options
Hey all - I am in desperate need of some advice here.

I'm a new-to-the-game runner (started in April) and a time-to-time Nordic Track and Jillian Michaels fan. I also enjoy biking quite a bit.

I've managed to lose almost 40 lbs so far with this stuff, and of course some judicious menu adjustments.

The problem is, as of last week, my left achilles tendon has gone on strike. I'm in a boot with crutches and under orders to keep it either iced or immobilized until it stops being pissed off at me. It's not ruptured - best I can say is that the bit where it attaches to my heel is inflamed and isn't afraid to let me know.

So. You may or may not have noticed that all of the activities I listed involve using my feet. Both of them, really. I'm feeling a little hamstrung (hurrr) in my exercise plans without them.

Can anyone out there who's gone through this crap suggest some things that might help me out? I can't imagine clocking 400 cals per day, but if it's possible that'd be great... anything to keep me from slipping back into apathy over the coming "weeks to months" it will take to heal.

Replies

• nmf062174
    nmf062174 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    what about doing abs-crunches, things to strengthen your core? Upper body with dumbbells?
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    any option with biking or aqua jogging?
  • emmoen1
    emmoen1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You can do straight leg raises 4 ways, knee extension while sitting on the couch, quadruped hip extension/abduction... if you don't have any weights, just make sure you preform the exercises slowly. Up 2-3, hold 5secs and down 2-3secs.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    just starting to get my ankle back from bad sprain--so I know how you feel...I did crunches ...on the floor, sitting and standing....leg lifts, donkey kicks, standing pushups, lifted weights, shadow boxing which you could sitting with 1lb weights if you wanted......pull-ups..using the door jambs..... good luck -wish you well :)
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you get he most cals burned by using the large leg muscles. I'd try an exercise bike or some other way to engage the legs without stressing the achilies.

If you can't it is possible to get a good workout with dumbbells and the upper body. Do lost of different push and pull movements with relative light weight high rep sets with with 30 seconds rest between sets.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Hm, I like the crunches. Trouble would arise if I had to put any weight on that foot, although to be fair it IS getting much less sensitive.

I wish there was a pool handy :cry:

It might be about time to start pullups too, come to think of it. That's a good idea...

Thanks!
  • Abrowe313
    Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i blew my achilles in 06 and it took over 3 months to start feeling better, and to this day if i go to hard its still sensitive. if you can get in a pool, swim laps your not gonna be able to do a whole lot man. it sucks i hope you heal way quicker than i did
  • Mistyblu08
    Options
    Hm, I like the crunches. Trouble would arise if I had to put any weight on that foot, although to be fair it IS getting much less sensitive.

I wish there was a pool handy :cry:

It might be about time to start pullups too, come to think of it. That's a good idea...

Thanks!
    with the crunches....place your calf on other knee that way there is no pressure :) I would love to have a pool around I could use too....burns a lot of calories and so much easier on the body :)
  • rprussell2004
    Options
    Anyone know how many calories crutching around burns? Turns out I might be getting my upper body calisthenic workout just zooming around on these things!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    ask the person who put you in the boot - they should know!
  • rprussell2004
    Options
    ask the person who put you in the boot - they should know!

LOL they're in an urgent care 1000 miles away. I am seeing my own doc tomorrow, though.
  • Mistyblu08
    Options
    Anyone know how many calories crutching around burns? Turns out I might be getting my upper body calisthenic workout just zooming around on these things!

there is a site that actually gives you cals burned from using crutches and yes you do burn more with them lol