How much protein do you really need?

Options
Hello all,

I am flat broke and in college. I just bought 2 months worth of groceries (minus meat) for about $30
Lots of beans, rice, oats, and such

But about protein. I know people on here say 1 g per lb of LBM. Mine is about 95 or so pounds from my calculations. I( just don't know if I can afford that much though, since meat is SO expensive. I wish I could by a whole chicken and eat from that, but that makes me sick to my stomach :(

Any Ideas? Would 60-70g a day be acceptable?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but I can regularly find boneless, skinless chicken breast on sale at $1.99 a pound if purchased in 5 pound packages. A 4 ounce serving is about 25g of protein, and that $10 package would yield about twenty 4 oz servings. Freeze what you won't eat right away.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but I can regularly find boneless, skinless chicken breast on sale at $1.99 a pound if purchased in 5 pound packages. A 4 ounce serving is about 25g of protein, and that $10 package would yield about twenty 4 oz servings. Freeze what you won't eat right away.

I agree with this, keep in mind beans have a decent amount of protein. lean ground beef can also be found on sale on top of the 5lb bag of chicken breasts.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I find it hard getting my protein because I don't eat meat, so I recently purchased a new whey protein powder. It was £15 for a massive tub and I get about 32g per shake (2 scoops). I reckon this will last me about 2 months. It tastes good, and I just mix it with 50 mixed berries, water, and sometimes some milk.

Maybe look at similar things? I can't answer you on the meat solution :tongue:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    And I also like to make up low calorie and healthy veggie bolognaise. I buy frozen veg cos it lasts longer and works out cheaper, and then mix it with meat-free mince (obv you can use real!) wholewheat pasta instead of spaghetti.

I don't have a massive budget either, but you can make it work. :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you have an Asia Market nearby, look for green mung beans. Most provide near 30g of protein per 1/2 cup and a bag is extremely cheap - $2 for 4 or more servings.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a very cost-effective means of reaching your protein requirements.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I eat about 300-350 grams of protein a day.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    If you have an Asia Market nearby, look for green mung beans. Most provide near 30g of protein per 1/2 cup and a bag is extremely cheap - $2 for 4 or more servings.

you serious? thanks bro!
  • malindaja
    malindaja Posts: 29
    Options

you serious? thanks bro!

Yeah... what is this?!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Hello all,

I am flat broke and in college. I just bought 2 months worth of groceries (minus meat) for about $30
    Lots of beans, rice, oats, and such

But about protein. I know people on here say 1 g per lb of LBM. Mine is about 95 or so pounds from my calculations. I( just don't know if I can afford that much though, since meat is SO expensive. I wish I could by a whole chicken and eat from that, but that makes me sick to my stomach :(

Any Ideas? Would 60-70g a day be acceptable?

10-35% of your calories should come from protein. Setting a floor at .9g/kg is probably a good idea if you're running a deficit.
  • PaulRosenberg206
    PaulRosenberg206 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I personally aim for 200 g/day of protein, because that fits my goals of slowly building lean muscle and preventing catabolism, and I have a fitness program to work with it. There is no universal rule for everyone. You need to determine what will work FIRST for your personal goals.

There are countless opinions about this topic. Keep in mind that human nutrition is actually a young science, with a lot of conflicting opinion and anecdotal information disguised as fact. I always recommend starting from something that makes sense to you and be ready to make adjustments for your goals, results, physique, tastes, genetics and lifestyle.

Also, learn how to cook bulk lentils. There are very few cheaper protein sources. It's just a sort of 1-dimensional diet... It also helps if you can eat plenty of fresh eggs. Make friends with someone who has chickens! Eggs are an amazing food, if you are not allergic. Search livestrong.com for "perfect food" and see how much you learn about eggs.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    I personally aim for 200 g/day of protein, because that fits my goals of slowly building lean muscle and preventing catabolism, and I have a fitness program to work with it. There is no universal rule for everyone. You need to determine what will work FIRST for your personal goals.

There are countless opinions about this topic. Keep in mind that human nutrition is actually a young science, with a lot of conflicting opinion and anecdotal information disguised as fact. I always recommend starting from something that makes sense to you and be ready to make adjustments for your goals, results, physique, tastes, genetics and lifestyle.

Also, learn how to cook bulk lentils. There are very few cheaper protein sources. It's just a sort of 1-dimensional diet... It also helps if you can eat plenty of fresh eggs. Make friends with someone who has chickens! Eggs are an amazing food, if you are not allergic. Search livestrong.com for "perfect food" and see how much you learn about eggs.

I have notices differences in my body from a metabolism stand point when using less than 200 grams.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my doctor says a min of 60g that anything less while focusing on weight loss will not maintain the muscle you do have and could lead to hair loss.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    0.8-1.0 g per kg is what is recommended. More than that if you are looking to build muscle.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're not trying to build muscle, I would think 60-70 is more than acceptable, honestly. You might be able to lose weight faster if you up it a bit, but you'll be healthy on 60-70. Many health organizations recommend about 50 grams as the minimum for an adult male.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

you serious? thanks bro!

Yeah... what is this?!
    Mung beans are a protein and nutrient power house. Here's an except from livestrong:

Protein

There are 30 g of protein in each serving of mung beans, which is 60 percent of the daily value. According to the Harvard School of Public Health, the amino acids found in protein are used to rebuild damaged muscles and other body parts. Most people need about 0.8 g of protein intake per kilogram of body weight per day.
    Vitamins and Minerals

There are 100 IU of vitamin A in one serving of mung beans. That is about 2 percent of your daily recommended intake of vitamin A. The mung beans also contain 130 mg of calcium, which is about 13 percent of your daily required calcium intake, as well as 4.8 mg of vitamin C, or 8 percent of your daily required vitamin C intake, and 8 mg of iron, or 39 percent of your daily recommended iron intake.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/431977-what-are-the-benefits-of-green-mung-beans/#ixzz22Ecq5RCD
  • wazzanz
    wazzanz Posts: 78
    Options
    In terms of the food groups protein the best one to be over. On the MFP having protein at the expense of sugar, fat and many carbs a good thing! eg Best to snack on a protein shake rather than a chocolate biscuit even if more calories in it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    you can survive that low. Milk and eggs are good, cheap protein.
    $2 worth of eggs is 96g of protein.
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!

About the chicken, its is about $1.99 a pound here too, problem is i don't really like it. I force myself to eat it, and sometimes actually have to gag it down >.< was a vegetarian for a few years and still sort of struggle with meat.

I know im a pain in the *kitten* LOL