Question to the Ladies

Options
So, obviously this is gonna be one of THOSE questions. Mainly, when you work out, are periods supposed to happen earlier? I'm two days early. Its only ever happened once before and I wanted to get some take on it... Also, what exercises would you recommend for that time of the month? My fitness trainer friend said swimming, but I just... I don't think I could. Take into consideration that I have awful knees and bad back.

And this one is thankfully, not like the others. I know you can plateau if you always do the same exercise, but my question is would swimming honestly be bad to do say every day? I love the water and even a leisure swim burns a ton of calories.

Replies

• stephaniekerr1991
    Options
    I have no idea. My periods are always off, so idk
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise can make your periods irregular. Most women have slightly late periods but 2 days early falls under that irregularity as well. Especially resistance training affects the testosterone levels in women as well, just like in men, on a smaller scale.
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you've always been regular and not working out, then changing things up on your body can cause some shifting of hormones, etc. I wouldn't worry about the 2 days. When you are on a regular exercise schedule, then your body will adjust and become more regular too.
    Swimming is fantastic! You can vary your routine in the pool daily! Use different strokes (front crawl, breast stroke, side stroke, back stroke, etc), use resistance to make it harder if you want. Use bouyant things that you can push down into the water to create a resistance. Walk! Yes, walk in the water. The water creates resistance and also cushions your bad knees and back.
  • SnowWhite824
    SnowWhite824 Posts: 210
    Options
    Yeah, looking at the date right now, I'm a few days late. I was on a bc pill that only gave me my "friend" 4x a year. It was magical.... lol I just went off it a few months ago, so that, and the fact that I'm trying to exercise every day (sometimes 2x a day) will make it a bit off. Trust me, it ain't because I'm preggers!! LMAO
  • kotcherr
    kotcherr Posts: 34
    Options
    I just started exercising intensely this month and mine was a week early - no worries! Apparently it's a common thing. And do whatever exercises make you feel good and lift your mood. I love spinning/cycling :)
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    swimming is a great suggestion, it's extremely effective and gentle if you have weak joints or aches. Pool exercises can be more then swimming, walking, running, core strength using bands and weights all in the water are a big part of my 4-6 times a week exercise routine.

I got more regular when I adjust to my routine but i imagine we are all different in that regard.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I also just started doing high intensity cardio and though my period wasn't late or early, it's being one ugly b!tch right now. Normally I only experience cramping the first day until Tylenol kicks in, but holy shiz, this month Aunt Flow must be super pissed.