Is it rude to ask for no MSG?

Is it bad or rude to ask the restaurant if they use MSG in their food?
Im going to a birthday dinner at a Chinese restaurant and would like to ask if they use MSG to ask them not to make my food with it.

Replies

• JPenny12
    JPenny12 Posts: 47 Member
    Alot of chinese places now even post NO MSG because people worry about that. You could ask but they might not be able to make it without. MSG is usually found in things like sauces, soups, etc. Many of these they may buy prepackaged not prepare so they can't take it out.
  • bkvamp
    bkvamp Posts: 30
    Great, thanks for the info!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    What is MSG? Sorry I still don't know a lot of stuff about nutrition. I eat chinese food once a month, never knew about this?
  • bkvamp
    bkvamp Posts: 30
    What is MSG? Sorry I still don't know a lot of stuff about nutrition. I eat chinese food once a month, never knew about this?

MSG is short for monosodium glutamate. It is a flavor enhancer that you add to your food to boost the flavor, it is also addicting, so makes you want more of that particular food. A lot of restaurants use MSG, specially fast food places such as kfc, mc.donalds, and pretty much every other fast food. It is also widely used in processed foods. MSG is one of the factors that makes you obese. Besides obesity there are a lot of health risks caused by ingesting MSG, so I stay away from it as much as I can.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member

MSG is short for monosodium glutamate. It is a flavor enhancer that you add to your food to boost the flavor, it is also addicting, so makes you want more of that particular food. A lot of restaurants use MSG, specially fast food places such as kfc, mc.donalds, and pretty much every other fast food. It is also widely used in processed foods. MSG is one of the factors that makes you obese. Besides obesity there are a lot of health risks caused by ingesting MSG, so I stay away from it as much as I can.

Wow thats scary!! Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll be eating chinese food anymore.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

What is the difference metabolically speaking between MSG and naturally occurring glutamate, like the kind found in Roquefort, ripe tomatoes, walnuts etc?
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Not rude. It's your body and your health.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Is it bad or rude to ask the restaurant if they use MSG in their food?
    Im going to a birthday dinner at a Chinese restaurant and would like to ask if they use MSG to ask them not to make my food with it.

Not bad at all--as has been noted, many places post if they DON'T use it. If MSG creates health problems for you, then you should know if someone's using it.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member

Not true, I did a lot of research on MSG while in Grad School and even conducted some test which revealed it's not detrimental as many fear mongers claim it is.
  • What is MSG? Sorry I still don't know a lot of stuff about nutrition. I eat chinese food once a month, never knew about this?

Wow thats scary!! Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll be eating chinese food anymore.

MSG is also in big dominating brands such as vitamins and toothpaste. Most people who do not have an intolerance/ allergy to MSG will live their whole lives not knowing it is inside things from their medicine cabinet.

You don't have to avoid chinese food, Andrea. Just order things steamed if you go out to eat at a Chinese restaurant. Avoid the Chinese buffets, though... especially since most of their hot food items are oily and/or fried.

But keep in mind that all types of food contains MSG... they are just well-hidden. I challenge you to check boxes of "wheat crackers" at the store and see how many you can find that seem to be "perfectly healthy"!
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Yay google

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

And there's more. Naturally occuring amino acid. Typically, only people with certain disorders have a problem with it.

And the person above me said it better :p
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Yay google

And there's more. Naturally occuring amino acid. Typically, only people with certain disorders have a problem with it.

Dang you beat me to it by seconds
  • DrG3n3
    Yay google

Dang you beat me to it by seconds

Muahaha. I'm quick.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    If you're allergic to MSG, then you must be allergic to broccoli, tomatoes, etc.
    If you're not allergic to MSG, why is it such a big deal to avoid it?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    smart, and just look at those abs..........

Don't worry about MSG. You consume it all the time. It doesn't hurt you.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member

You were doing ok until the bold part. Then your post became useless.
  • DrG3n3