How often should I weigh myself?

I've been weighing almost everyday, should I change to only weekly?

Replies

• yes, weight can flux from day to day, weekly will give you a more accurate reading
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    I do only weekly, day to day can vary way too much and mess with you i think
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    I personally try to only weigh once a week, but I sometimes end up checking my weight midweek anyway. My weight goes down really slowly, which is why I try to stick to weekly checks
  • time2shine29
    time2shine29 Posts: 103 Member
    Honestly, I think the less the better. If you can make it a week then great! My nutritionist friend told me to weigh a couple times and take the average weight. I like to just take the lowest weight. :) I think it becomes a head game if you do it every day and you can get yourself sick about gaining or losing a lb or two which really could be water retention. So yes, wait if you can!
  • OneFitDude16
    OneFitDude16 Posts: 169
    You should weight yourself once a day at the same time every day. Your weight will vary, but that's totally normal. Usually it only varies by 1-3 pounds.
  • Your body weight can fluctuate a lot between every day. Stick with once a week. I weigh myself first thing in the morning, after I've urinated, with no clothes. Gives me a pretty accurate reading :).
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    The fact that your weight can fluctuate daily is exactly why you should weigh yourself everyday. You are looking for a weekly average. What if the one day you choose for your weekly weigh-in is that day you are 1-2 lbs high or low. You may make changes to your targets for no reason - or be ecstatic/depressed based on an abnormal reading. In other words, weighing once a week does not give you a weekly average - it gives you one data point and your only hope of seeing any average is now at the monthly point.

The key is not to obsess over that daily weighing. Just take the data and log it. Average your weekly weight and compare it to the week prior to determine progress. Best of luck.
  • RanzITman
    RanzITman Posts: 14
    Weight does fluctuate a lot day to day. Considering what you are trying to accomplish those highs and lows will also directly affect your attitude. My best advice is to focus on the plan you put in place for yourself. Track it here to see if you are holding to it, and rarely check the scale. In my case I started daily but the changes made me just want to give up. Weekly was a little better but results can still be less than impressive. If you can hold out and stick with your plan, measuring every two weeks will show results you can be proud of and keep you well motivated. I admit tho that the temptation to peek is very strong. ;-)
  • If you want to lose weight, a friend once counseled me that you have to become a maniac about what it is you want to accomplish. I was running back in those days, but I became a maniac about running.

Eventually, arthritis doomed my feet and slowly but surely I regained the weight. After losing 50 lbs.

No, I am dieting and cycling with much more knowledge at hand.

i weigh myself daily-maniac-style but it lets me get a report card about what I ate the day before, or did not eat the day before. I started on MFP at 210-but I was on Weight Watchers first starting at 230.

I am now 188 and trending down. About 2 pounds per week or so. Huge amount of exercise. 170 miles on the bike last week alone. When I get to 170, somebody call me and wake me up.

I'm having great fun. The scale is not the enemy. It's what you stick in your pie-hole.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    I should also mention that weight is just one bit of data that you should be using to assess your overall fitness progress. I recommend getting taped to track progress there. If you are incorporating weight training (recommended) into your fitness routine then you may experience a period with little weight loss, but with inches dropping off. That is a great marker of success. Also, are you getting stronger, able to do a cardio routine longer, clothes fit better, have more energy? The scale is just one way to track toward your goal. Best of luck!