Connection between mental health and certain foods.

Options
I was speaking to my mother today and she commented on my sudden positivity and happiness. She and my father said they have both noticed an enormous change in my moods during the last couple of weeks (I joined MFP 3 weeks ago). Thinking about this I realized they are right, I don't have the depression or anxiety that I have been plagued with since I was a kid. Without getting in to too much detail about my medical history I will say this, no anti-depressant has ever worked this well. So I did a little research and found countless websites devoted to the connection between mental health and certain foods. I thought I should share this because if even 1 person reads it and makes a change for the better then I will feel so rewarded.

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?Id=2645

PLEASE read the article :flowerforyou:

Replies

• angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    DEfenitely agree with this! I know when I eat junk food all the time, I'm moody as hell and have a serious lack of energy.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm glad this is working for you and you're awesome for sharing it.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I experience this same shift when I first started making changes in the foods I ate and activities I participated in. Huge win!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I developed anxiety/panic disorders last summer. It has been rough. I started an antidepressant which has made me feel pretty good so far been on it almost a month. My depression wasn't too bad but the fear and anxieties made me avoid things like, driving and going to crowds. I'll definitely consider things I read on that article.

I'd already heard some info about wheat/gluten and other allergies that can cause mental health issues. I know I am lactose sensitive/intolerant for sure and had developed a couple of other allergies not to mentions seasonal and/or environmental allergies in the last 10 years since I had my daughter.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Not only eating health, but exercise too.

I would have never believed it, but my Mom went in for major surgery and didn't have chocolate for 30 days. Previously she ate chocolate every day. Her mood had improved and I thought it was the surgery, but the minute she went back to chocolate she went back to the Eeyore attitudes and behaviors.

I noticed with me when I finally gave up fast food, I have sooo much more energy and feel alive.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    Thank you. I'm glad this is working for you and you're awesome for sharing it.

Thank you for reading it :happy:
  • NewlyWed76
    Options
    This is helpful! Thank you for sharing!!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Serotonin is controlled in the gut not in the brain. So yes food help/hurt your moods. Typically sugar is the worst on moods, but if you have food sensitivies they can bother your moods too. My husband and I have never had donuts for breakfast without getting in a fight that day. Needless to say, we rarely eat donuts any more.
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Not only eating health, but exercise too.

I would have never believed it, but my Mom went in for major surgery and didn't have chocolate for 30 days. Previously she ate chocolate every day. Her mood had improved and I thought it was the surgery, but the minute she went back to chocolate she went back to the Eeyore attitudes and behaviors.

I noticed with me when I finally gave up fast food, I have sooo much more energy and feel alive.

I have cut back on so much of the junk I use to eat. I can definitely tell an improvement in my mood! My energy has skyrocketed as well.
    It is amazing how sensitive the body is.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    interesting read, i learn so much from mfp users
  • 00babyk00
    00babyk00 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Interesting that is. Im sure this is my husbands problem with drink and junk food, hes always low after a binge on booze or junk food, but men...will they look and listen! Its like a train wreck waiting to happen. To me I can see it clear :-(
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I go to a doctor who believes in 'foods for your moods'. I was suffering from anxiety, was always tired, having mood changes from being really happy to getting real pissed in a matter of minutes, was having trouble breathing, terrible memory and crappy blood circulation. After taking my blood work he told me that foods with high histamine levels and gluten were triggering all these horrible feelings. I was also severly dehydrated (im bad with drinking my water) . He gave me a vitamin regimine and told me I'd have to change my eating- but it's not a diet- it's a lifestyle change. Unless I want to feel horrible constantly I have to stay away from these foods from now on. It's been hard to completely change my eating from what it was, but I'd rather eat a bit diffferently then feel the way I've been. Within the first 2 weeks I lost 6 pounds, stopped using my inhaler, and had a significant change in energy and mood. I feel absolutely amazing.
  • KristenCook2
    KristenCook2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! Can't wait to go read your article. I've been dealing with anxiety/depression for most of my life but it has gotten worse in the past three years. About six months ago, I decided I've had enough and started researching homeopathic remedies which led me to a diet-controlled way of dealing with it. I'm currently reading "The Good Mood Diet" by Dr. Susan M. Kleiner which has some really interesting facts about not only what foods to avoid, what foods to eat, but also what combinations of foods can do to either help or hinder different moods.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Valuable info here. I notice changes when I slip back on my healthy eating. And my autistic nephew is much better when avoiding certain foods such as dairy.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I find exercise to be the best mood stabilizer. Being healthy in general totally helps too.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I feel so much better mentally when i eat a healthy diet. When i eat too much i fell depressed, so yes i agree. You feel so much better about yourself when you eat right and exercise.
  • suthrnladey
    Options
    I was speaking to my mother today and she commented on my sudden positivity and happiness. She and my father said they have both noticed an enormous change in my moods during the last couple of weeks (I joined MFP 3 weeks ago). Thinking about this I realized they are right, I don't have the depression or anxiety that I have been plagued with since I was a kid. Without getting in to too much detail about my medical history I will say this, no anti-depressant has ever worked this well. So I did a little research and found countless websites devoted to the connection between mental health and certain foods. I thought I should share this because if even 1 person reads it and makes a change for the better then I will feel so rewarded.

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?Id=2645

PLEASE read the article :flowerforyou:

Thanks for posting! I read the article and plan on researching the info more.

Thanks for posting this! Can't wait to go read your article. I've been dealing with anxiety/depression for most of my life but it has gotten worse in the past three years. About six months ago, I decided I've had enough and started researching homeopathic remedies which led me to a diet-controlled way of dealing with it. I'm currently reading "The Good Mood Diet" by Dr. Susan M. Kleiner which has some really interesting facts about not only what foods to avoid, what foods to eat, but also what combinations of foods can do to either help or hinder different moods.

This sounds like a book I need to read, study, and live by. Thanks for sharing !
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I controlled my anxiety disorder for four years through diet and exercise alone. I eat mostly foods that are shown to lower anxiety levels, as well as cut out most of the caffeine. I think a lot of anyone who is prone to anxiety and depression should try the diet route first. At the very least, it will help minimize the amount of drugs you need to be on! I recently had to start meds again because I started menopause and it's wrecking havoc with my system, but I know that before the meds started working, my anxiety attacks disappeared when I exercised,even if only for a little while.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I haven`t read the article ;-{

But it is so nice to hear that you have such supportive parents ;-)))))) WTG mum and dad yay!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed with ADD as a kid. i was on drugs but then someone suggested my mom try controlling it with diet.
    a lot of the symptoms subsided when i follow the diet.

for me, ADD is a result of not having enough dopamine, so i make sure i eat things with the right proteins that can be turned into dopamine : eggs, yogurt, walnuts, dairy, chicken, dark chocolate. i also make sure to have 1-2 cups of caffeine a day especially when i need to concentrate.

also lack of dopamine is related to depression, so i'd imagine that those same foods that are helpful to me would be helpful to someone with depression.