Unused & Unwanted Calories

Options
I'm on a 1200 calorie / day regimen. However, I usually end up having about 300-450 calories left at the end of the day. Is that really going to be unhealthy?

I take a green tea pill to help control my cravings. Even if the pill doesn't really work, it makes me thing it does. Haha. So, I eat when I'm hungry. I have 3 meals per day along with 3 or 4 small snacks. I'm just really careful about what I eat when I do.

I'll copy/paste my food diary for today. If you notice for some of my snacks I only have about 1oz of chicken breast b.c I picked at a leftover piece and I had 1 single chicken nugget before dinner. I also LOVE tunafish and use a very low cal mayo to put in it.

Breakfast
Peppers - Sweet, green, raw, 1 tbsp 2 0 0 0 0
Mushrooms - Raw, 1 slice 1 0 0 0 0
Egg Beaters - Egg Beaters, 1/2 cup 60 2 0 12 12
Tropicana - Orange Juice - No Pulp - Calcium + Vitamin D, 3 oz 41 10 0 1 0
Wesson - Pure Canola Oil 100% Natural (Grams), 1 T (15mL) 120 0 14 0 0
Holsum Country Style - White Bread, 1 slice 60 12 1 2 4

Add Food Remember Meal 284 24 15 15 16

Lunch
Van Camps - Chicken of the Sea - Chunk Light Tuna In Water, 2.5 oz. 63 0 1 13 3
Food Lion - Sweet Relish (Generic), 1 Tbsp 15 4 0 0 0
Kraft - Fat Free Mayo, 0.4 tbsp 4 1 0 0 0
Holsum Country Style - White Bread, 1 slice 60 12 1 2 4
Bolthouse Farms - Baby - Cut Carrots, 3 oz 35 8 0 1 2

Add Food Remember Meal 177 25 2 16 9

Dinner
Mcdonalds - Chicken Nuggets (4 Pieces), 0.25 order 48 3 3 3 1
Gorton's - Grilled Tilapia Roasted Garlic & Butter, 1 fillet (89g) 80 1 3 14 2
Hanover - Butter Beans (Large Lima Beans In Sauce), 1/2 Cup (130g) 100 18 0 7 10
Dole - Peaches In Light Syrup, 1/2 Cup 80 21 0 0 2

Add Food Remember Meal 308 43 6 24 15

Snacks
Little Debbie - Pumpkin Delights, 1 cookie 140 23 5 1 4
Generic - Chicken Breast Boiled, 1 oz 28 0 1 10 0
Hunts - Hickory & Brown Sugar Bbq Sauce, 0.75 tbs 26 7 0 0 2
Bolthouse Farms - Baby - Cut Carrots, 4.5 oz 53 12 0 2 3
Kraft Salad Dressing - Ranch Dressing/Dip, 1 tbsp 75 1 8 0 0
Orville Redenbacher's - Movie Theater Butter- 1 Bag (2.5 cup popped ea.) 88 10 6 0 0

Add Food Remember Meal 410 74 20 13 11

Total: 1,179 145 43 68 49
Your Daily Goal: 1,566 215 52 58 100
Remaining: 387 70 9 -10 51
Calories Carbs Fat Protein Iron

*You've earned 366 extra calories from exercise today

72 oz of Water

Replies

• weasleman42
    Options
    Being consistently below your calories will cause your body to go into starvation mode. This actually makes it harder to lose weight, because your body is panicked that it isn't getting enough food and will store calories quicker and burn them slower. A side effect will be lower energy levels. Try having another snack or two sometime during the day, even late. Good luck!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue i am always between 900 and 1200 calories a day and i never feel hungry or starving..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Being hungry or not being hungry isn't really the point. Is your food plan contributing to the weight loss you are seeking?

If you aren't losing weight then you need to make some changes to your food and exercise plan.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm usually 300ish calories below on the days I do my running. My calorie intake is at 1300 a day.. I usually hit somewhere between 1100 and 1300 everyday. Occasionally I go over.. I don't worry much about those days.
  • AshlySouthard
    Options
    BarbiCat,

I just started actively logging everything and paying attention to everything on Sunday. So I haven't had much time to see any 'constant' results.

I honestly don't know how I could eat anymore. It's not good to eat when you aren't hungry either.

Plus, I receive extra calories b.c of my exercise. So, technically I do eat about 1000-1100 calories per day, but with my 'extra calories received' I fall short.

I'm just confused, Everything I've read and have learned so far states that the only way to lose weight is to pay attention to "Calories In / Calories Out"
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options

I honestly don't know how I could eat anymore. It's not good to eat when you aren't hungry either.

You can not be hungry and still need to eat. You need to eat a certain amount of calories per day/week whether you are hungry or not. Withholding food/nurtrients from you body that it needs to work properly is starvation. Starvation over an extended period of time will lead to you not feeling hungry. If you have not been getting the calories/nutrients you need over an extended period of time you just won't feel hungry but you still need to eat.

I'm not saying you are starving yourself just making a point about the hunger issue.

The best thing to do to make your allotment is to choose calorie dense foods. Instead of lite mayo use the real thing or olive oil. Nuts and peanut butter will help you meet your calorie goals.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    BarbiCat,

I just started actively logging everything and paying attention to everything on Sunday. So I haven't had much time to see any 'constant' results.

Plus, I receive extra calories b.c of my exercise. So, technically I do eat about 1000-1100 calories per day, but with my 'extra calories received' I fall short.

I'm just confused, Everything I've read and have learned so far states that the only way to lose weight is to pay attention to "Calories In / Calories Out"
    Ashly, Keep asking questions, keep reading stuff on MFP, keep modifying your food plan a little at a time and you'll find what works best for you. :bigsmile: You won't find the perfect eating/exercise plan overnight. Never, never, never give up.
    Barbie
  • katejones79
    katejones79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem in the beginning! I think it is a wrong mind set that those of us who struggle with our weight have. Little to no calories does not equal skinny!!!!
    My trainer INSISTS that I eat at least 1200, but on days that I am burning 400+ calories then I have to be at 1300-1400.
    I almost always end up having a protein shake a day to make it to my calories.
    I have 2 scoops of Designer Whey, 1/2 a banana and 1/2 cup almond milk with ice in my blender... if I remember right it is about 300 calories and lots of good protein (Designer Whey has little to no sugar too)
    Also why not try a denser bread, something whole wheat is going to be better for you and pack a few more "good" calories!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    A body doesn't necessarily have to express hunger to be lacking what it needs. When you finally do feel hunger, your body is pretty much saying, "Day-um, Girl, when you gonna feed me?", not, "I've finished with the food you gave me last time, let's have some more." You should never be stuffed, but on the other end of it, you should never be famished either. A good, steady supply of nutrients is what your body wants. It needs a certain amount of calories just to complete the necessary bodily functions. 1200 is a pretty conservative amount of calories in and of itself. You can't really expect your body to function at its best with less than that.