Bored of C25K and never get anywhere! Am I the only 1?

Options
Oi oi MFPers!!

I have been starting and restarting C25K since November and I have never managed to complete it! It is really starting to annoy me!! When I started I was only able to go at 7kph and I did get up to 16mins of running but I have never managed that since!! I have a theory that my CV fitness is just not what it needs to be and I have a plan to help it. Is there anyone out there who feels the same and is interested in starting a group to take part in a challenge?

What I have decided to do as I am in no hurry and want to improve my fitness is mix HIIT into C25K!

My plan goes something like this,

Week 1 HIIT, Week 2 C25K Wk 1, Week 2 C25k Wk 2, Week 3 HIIT etc all for a total of 3 workouts each week.

Bellow is the plan that I am going to try to follow. I will start with HIIT at 5:11kph and C25K at 5:9kph. I will also have my treadmill on an incline of 1.5.

So Week 1 HIIT

Walk for 2 mins followed by 1:1 min intervals to 10mins where there will be a 2 min walk followed by 1 set of 1:1. Then 30s:30 to 20mins followed by the preset cooldown.

Week 2 C25K week 1

Walk for 2 mins followed by 1min:90s intervals for total of 20mins followed by the preset cooldown

Week 3 C25K week 2

Walk for 2 mins followed by 90s:20min intervals for a total of 20 mins followed by the preset cooldown.

Week 4 HIIT

Walk for 2 mins followed by intervals of 1:1min alternated with 30s:30s for a total of 20 mins followed by the cooldown.

Week 5 C25K week 3

Walk for 2 mins then 2 intervals of 90s:90s followed by 1 interval of 3:3mins followed by the cooldown.

Week 6 HIIT

Walk for 2 mins followed by intervals of 1min:30s for 20 mins total followed by the cooldown

Week 6 C25K week 4

Walk for 2 mins then 3min:90s followed by 5:2.5 minfollowed by 3min:90s followed by 5 mins running. Then do the cooldown

Week 7 C25K week 5

Workout 1 - Walk for 2 mins then 5:3mins x2 followed by 5 mins running and the cooldown.
Workout 2 - Walk for 2 mins run for 8 mins walk for 5 mins run for 8 mins and then do the cooldown.
Workout 3 - walk for 2 mins run for 20 mins followed by the cooldown.

Week 8 HIIT Increase speed to 11.5kph

Walk for 2 mins then 2:1 min intervals for a total of 20 mins followed by the cooldown

Week 9 C25K week 6

Workout 1 - Walk for 2 mins then run for 5, walk for 3, run for 8, walk for 3, run for 5 then cooldown
Workout 2 - Walk for 2 mins then run for 10, walk for 3, run for 10 then cool down
Workout 3 - -Wlak for 2 mins then run for 25 mins follwed by then cooldown

Week 10 HIIT

Walk for 2 mins then 30s:30s for 20 mins followed by the cooldown

Week 11 C25K week 7

Walk for 2 mins then run for 25 mins followed by the cooldown

Week 12 HIIT

Walk for 2 mins the intervals of 1min:30s for a total of 20mins followed by the cooldown

Week 13 C25K week 8

Walk for 2 mins then run for 28mins followed by the cooldown

Week 14 HIIT

As week 12

Week 15 C25K week 9

Walk for 2 mins then run for 30mins followed by the cooldown

Doing this I hope to be able to get on and do it to the finish befor starting B210K! I am going to up my speed along the way as I feel it is needed. I doubt I will to be honest because I don't want to kill myself!!

So, does anyone want to join me?

BTW I only do 2mins of walking because I warm up on the crosstrainer and stretch before getting onto the treadmill. If you don't warm up first then do 5 mins of walking instead of 2 so you are warm before you start running!! Lets get kicking!!

Replies

• icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Ok! I guess I will be doing this on my own!! Not to worry!! Maybe I should've called my post something else? Who knows!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to start the program and keep going... and if you need to repeat a week, then repeat a week.

What you have looks complicated and kind of ridiculous... Pick a goal of speed or a goal of distance and go from there.

Once you master one, then you can work on the other.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    I think you just need to start the program and keep going... and if you need to repeat a week, then repeat a week.

What you have looks complicated and kind of ridiculous... Pick a goal of speed or a goal of distance and go from there.

That is what I have done! Over and over and over again! I get stuck at about week 5 and then can't get any further! I don't think what I have put is complicated and I would like to know how exactly it is rediculous. Just out of curiosity! :) It is a plan to help me where i have a weakness that is all! And to make it a bit more interesting!
  • dad106
    Options

That is what I have done! Over and over and over again! I get stuck at about week 5 and then can't get any further! I don't think what I have put is complicated and I would like to know how exactly it is rediculous. Just out of curiosity! :) It is a plan to help me where i have a weakness that is all! And to make it a bit more interesting!

Have you actually tried to go further? Or have you said oh I just can't do it, so I'm not going to?

It's ridiculous because you are combining two totally different programs that have two totally different outcomes.

HITT isn't really about improving cardio vascular fitness.. it's more about intensity then anything. While C25K is just that.. learning how to run a 5K.

I think that you need to try C25K again and go slower... and if you did that, you wouldn't get stuck at week 5.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options

Have you actually tried to go further? Or have you said oh I just can't do it, so I'm not going to?

It's ridiculous because you are combining two totally different programs that have two totally different outcomes.

HITT isn't really about improving cardio vascular fitness.. it's more about intensity then anything. While C25K is just that.. learning how to run a 5K.

I think that you need to try C25K again and go slower... and if you did that, you wouldn't get stuck at week 5.

Ah! Now I get you!! I don't believe that HIIT and C25K are mutually excluisive though. I have tried to go further and I push myself, hard! I can't do the time at any speed. HIIT is not just about intensity. It is about improving your recovery time and getting your HR up and training it to recover quickly. It does therefore help with CV fitness. I think you are not understanding what I am trying to do or why I get stuck at a certain point. I guess I should've just kept this to myself as I was not looking for judgment, just someone to do this with.
  • TheLittleKittie
    Options
    Well, im busy doing 30 DS at the moment but do need to start my running again, so im kinda happy to do the run parts with you whilst I do 30DS daily, if what yu're after is like a virtual run buddy?
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think you are too focused on the speed that you are running at. You should be more concerned at accomplishing the distance that you want to reach, then after time and fitness levels improve then work on your speed. Also do you know your pace? I would suggest Nike+ or Runkeeper to announce your pace every 1/4 mile until you are a more accomplished runner.

I know when I was near the end of C25k a few years ago the last few weeks were killing me and I could never figure out why some runs were easy and other times I could barley finish. It was my pace, after getting an app to help me learn how to pace my run I complete c2k5 with no issue.

Now a few years later I can run a 5k at 7:30 miles. So first get the distance and fitness/ then get the speed.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am only on Week two, so I haven't gotten bored yet. I am thrilled at the inch and a half lost in my calves after such a short time though. I am loving it! It's great after all these years (since college) to finally have a muscle that I can see again.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think you are too focused on the speed that you are running at. You should be more concerned at accomplishing the distance that you want to reach, then after time and fitness levels improve then work on your speed. Also do you know your pace? I would suggest Nike+ or Runkeeper to announce your pace every 1/4 mile until you are a more accomplished runner.

I know when I was near the end of C25k a few years ago the last few weeks were killing me and I could never figure out why some runs were easy and other times I could barley finish. It was my pace, after getting an app to help me learn how to pace my run I complete c2k5 with no issue.

Now a few years later I can run a 5k at 7:30 miles. So first get the distance and fitness/ then get the speed.

Excellent point! Pace yourself, or you'll never make it. There is nowhere in the C25K plan that has you running. You are supposed to jog, not run.

Part of what I have been doing is that I mentally count out my time. (I don't have any fancy electronic equipment) That seems to help me keep pace as well.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running outside instead of on a treadmill? Don't focus on your speed, just completing the intervals at a jog.
    I think I would lose my mind if I had to do it all on a treadmill, but happily completed the C25K over a year ago and am still happily running. I only run on a treadmill when it is storming outside or "middle of the winter, snow is approaching" day.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options

I am not bothered about speed at all! I can't do it too slowly because i can't get the rythum right and I can't go too fast because I'm not fit enough. That is the only speed I am bothered about! I know my pace. I run on a treadmill as I said. I cant go the distance bacause my hr is really high and HIIT will help with that but I don't feel it is a good thing for me to do every CV workout.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    Well, im busy doing 30 DS at the moment but do need to start my running again, so im kinda happy to do the run parts with you whilst I do 30DS daily, if what yu're after is like a virtual run buddy?

This sounds cool to me!! Thanks!! Friend request on its way!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    I am only on Week two, so I haven't gotten bored yet. I am thrilled at the inch and a half lost in my calves after such a short time though. I am loving it! It's great after all these years (since college) to finally have a muscle that I can see again.

That is so great!! I am really pleased for you!! I love C25K as well! That is why I refuse to give up and say "well I'm just not a runner I guess"! Well done you!!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options

Excellent point! Pace yourself, or you'll never make it. There is nowhere in the C25K plan that has you running. You are supposed to jog, not run.

Part of what I have been doing is that I mentally count out my time. (I don't have any fancy electronic equipment) That seems to help me keep pace as well.

One mans jog is another mans run. 9kph is not fast. It is jogging speed.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    Have you tried running outside instead of on a treadmill? Don't focus on your speed, just completing the intervals at a jog.
    I think I would lose my mind if I had to do it all on a treadmill, but happily completed the C25K over a year ago and am still happily running. I only run on a treadmill when it is storming outside or "middle of the winter, snow is approaching" day.

I can do more on the treadmill than I can outside and I would have to drive somewhere in order to run outside. I live on a very steep hill!! Running outside for me is really not an option at the moment.
  • dad106
    Options

I am not bothered about speed at all! I can't do it too slowly because i can't get the rythum right and I can't go too fast because I'm not fit enough. That is the only speed I am bothered about! I know my pace. I run on a treadmill as I said. I cant go the distance bacause my hr is really high and HIIT will help with that but I don't feel it is a good thing for me to do every CV workout.

Um, my heart rate gets to 180-190 when I do C25K Workouts, and I manage just fine.

It's not your heart rate.. It's your speed.

Slow it down and you'd be able to do it.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Running is a mental game as well as physical, I know when my runs get hard my mind starts telling me "You cant do this", "you have ran far enough" ect ect ect.

How high is your heart rate getting?
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    Um, my heart rate gets to 180-190 when I do C25K Workouts, and I manage just fine.

It's not your heart rate.. It's your speed.

Slow it down and you'd be able to do it.

I am slow!! I know what is going on with my body. I am not you and I am different to you. I am going to try something new and if you don't like it you don't have to do it. I am not asking for advice or suggestions I have already tried. I am doing a workout based on what helped me before sickness took me out of the gym for 2 months.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think you do need to focus on distance first, and speed later.

Are you on any of the big running programmes? (Endo, mapmyrun, runkeeper?) It might help to set up a group of C25kers on there, to give you a running community to work with. (Add me, if you're on one of those - I'll give you my name.)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

One mans jog is another mans run. 9kph is not fast. It is jogging speed.

Ok, so I had to Google it, but it is showing that is about 5.5 mph. If that's correct, you could stand to slow down a bit to increase your endurance. I used to run cross country in high school. Even though I haven't been jogging in over 20 years, I do remember that you don't build endurance through speed. Build endurance first, then speed will come after it.