Screwy cholesterol

Just had my physical yesterday.
Through the miracle of electronics, I have already seen my lipid profile.
Doc got on my case last July (2011) when my LDL was 145. He said to lower my cholesterol intake and come back in 6 months. (HDL was 37)
So last December I went back for a recheck, after making several changes and trying to exercise a bit more than I already had been (walking). On the recheck my LDL lowered to 121, my HDL had increased to 39.
So now, even though I have maintained weight, have been watching what I eat, and exercising as normal, my LDL has gone back up to 144, although my HDL is now much better at 43.

I'm at a loss, I'll just leave it at that and see what I get for comments.

Gilly

Replies

• mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Genetics have a lot to do with your cholesterol. I have to take meds for my cholesterol issues. You just may be a victim of messed up genetics like me :(.
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    I've just got my lipid profile after a 6 month weight loss journey and was working on maintaining and even gaining back some (I intepreted that as "license to eat!" :tongue: ) and was told my cholesterol was high. :cry: My HDL's 69 and LDL's 154. :sad: So, the doctor's told me to watch my processed food intake and eat more veges. But I do feel you. The doctor mentioned that mine is probably due to genetics and continuing exercise while reducing sat fat intake might help reduce my numbers.

What were you doing in terms of the changes you made? I'm curious to know. Thanks.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    I was just told via phone mine was high also and the doctor is calling in script for the generic Lipitor. The written numbers are being mailed to me so not sure what they are yet. I have heard really bad things about taking Lipitor so don't want to go down that road. Please share what diet changes you all made and if you have any good links or referrences I would appreciate that too. Do you limit your cholesterol to so much per day and if so, what? Thanks for sharing.