Food suddenly tastes strange/different?

Options
2»

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Yep! I have to buy low sugar or sugar free, salt free everything just about. Otherwise I don't like it. Which means i'm that annoying person in the canned bean or yogurt section blocking your access the products because i'm reading the ingredient list on every can. lol. I also bought truvia and I hate it. I don't like juice anymore or most sweets. I do occasionally eat them and always regret it. because they didn't satisfy my "sweet tooth" I buy high % coco dark chocolate now. 72 or higher or I don't like it. I make my cakes and puddings from scratch now and use a lot of fruits and yogurt as bases for sweets. I have cream brulee the other day.. and it was yummy but the sickly sweet aftertaste killed it. I had to have tea to get that aftertaste out of my mouth!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I grew up with adding your own seasoning to foods, my mom never seasoned anything. So to this day anything with a lot of salt I find unable to eat.

As far as taste changes, this has happened to me as a result of quitting smoking. I feel like a kid in candy store, as I have to retry all the foods I thought I hated lol.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I switched to Stevia sweetener. It is extremely sweet so just a little goes a long way, and it lacks the downside of the chemical sweeteners since is its all natural. It has no carcinogens and no addictive properties. I get a liquid form at Walmart. The packets are too sweet for me. Good luck finding what works for you.:bigsmile:
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I can tolerate vegetables more taste wise than I did before I started the lifestyle change & I don't crave overly sugary snacks like gumdrops or Sour Patch Kids.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've been trying to cut back on processed foods for the last couple weeks and yesterday I had a brownie, which I usually love - I took one bite and threw it out because all I could taste was chemicals!

^^^ me too! I went to a party over the weekend and someone brought brownies. Definitely boxed. lol

My tastes have totally changed - sugar snap peas and carrots actually taste sweet to me now!
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i'm kind of jealous....I wish food tasted too sweet or too salty now. Then maybe I wouldn't want to eat them! I really wish I was one of those people who got sick from eating fried food...or something "bad" for them. Guess I am not one of the lucky ones. My stomach must be made of iron. :)
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    YES! Random foods taste "off" to me now.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've definitely noticed a change in how certain foods taste to me. It's liberating to eat something that I had been craving only to find out it doesn't taste good to me anymore.

Edit to add that pizza isn't one of those things. Still love pizza.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    A week of paleo-eating was enough to get my tastebuds working properly again. Green beans were suddenly delicious, the smell of things like store-bought taco seasoning or 2 min noodles was overwhelming and horrible. I tried to eat some Vege Chips (gluten free rice cracker type things) and the flavour on them was just too intense and salty.

It makes me think that eating sodium-dense artificial flavoured food was numbing my senses. Now I can sort of judge how 'clean' I've been eating just by how much flavour everything has. Like after eating McDonalds, everything tastes incredibly bland.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I can no longer eat deli meat because all I can taste is the sodium. Gross
  • MissMeghan802
    Options
    I can't drink juice anymore, besides 100% OJ. Everything else is wayy to sweet. I can't even handle 100% Grape or Apple juice.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Yep. Only been off sugary foods for about a month. Tried to eat a slice of cheesecake, which used to be my favorite. Couldn't even finish it, it was too sweet and actually kind of disgusting. :( I've grown fond of bitter foods more lately, I think!

(Still crave salty food all the time though...)
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that healthy foods are starting to taste better. I really worked at getting more fruit/veggies into my diet this year. (used to average perhaps 1-2 servings a day on a GOOD day, now it's a minimum of 5 servings and almost always more.) Really starting to enjoy the taste of plain fruit (apples, oranges, grapes, berries) and steamed veggies (broccoli, zucchini, carrots) or raw carrot and celery sticks without the need to drown them in cheese sauce or dressing.

Also finding I can eat oatmeal or whole grain cold cereals without slopping on extra sugar.

Not really eating less healthy foods often enough to notice the difference there.