For MEN with Low Testosterone.

Options
Hey Guys,

For years I have suffered from Low Testosterone. I'm a 27 year old white male, and my level was usually around 320. While this is not low enough to warrant supplemental testosterone in injections, and their added health risks, it has been low enough to make a impact on my mental health. As a result, I had depression and anxiety (the former which has to be medicated), a low sex drive, and a totally apathetic outlook on life. I went through a pretty rough emotional time, and I'm not sure if low T caused the symptoms or vice versa, but I am sure they go hand in hand. At the advice of a MD, I began an exercise routine to try and boost my levels normally, and we would take another test in 6 months to see how I was doing. He knows I hate traditional cardio exercises and I feel conscious around the jacked guys at the gym, so he suggested CrossFit. 6 months later, I am amazed by my results, and so was my doctor.

Test on Feb 12th, 2012: 338 ng/dl
Test on July 31st 2012: 664 ng/dl

CrossFit isn't for everyone, but after my test today I looked up why it may have worked so well. Obviously you don't need to do CrossFit for any reasons besides that you want to, but I needed the structure that it offered, and thats already a forum topic somewhere else.

- Very Heavy Weights - Very Low Reps: While all weight lifting can increase testosterone, some studies have shown that working out at around 90% of your 1RM with low reps and sets raises levels even more. This has to do with the muscle fibers breaking down and the body's natural repairing process.
- Compound Lifts: Same as above, but you use more muscles, work more fibers, etc.
- High Intensity, Short Term Cardio: Long Cardio sessions have been shown in some men to lower testosterone.
- Weight Loss: I have lost near 15 pounds, which helps decrease estrogen levels which inhibit testosterone.

As these months have gone on, I have lost weight slowly, but have noticed big gains when it has come to strength. When I started, I could only Clean about 65 lbs. Now I run MetCon workouts with 120 lbs, and my 1RM is the same as my bodyweight, which is about 160. I could only Shoulder Press about 85 lbs, and yesterday I set a new PR of 142 lbs. My clothes fit better and I look much better naked.

I find that I sleep through the nights now, wake up easier, and am much happier. My girlfriend will tell you that my sex drive is 99% higher than it was before. We went from having sex once a day, to her having to beat me off with a stick. I used to have trouble coming to climax, partly because of the meds, but mostly because I would be so tired after a few minutes I would give up. Now, TV shows start and finish now and we're still at it.

There have been some minimal side affects. I never used to have ANY body acne, but now I have a few stray pimples on my shoulders. Nothing to see a dermatoligist about, or even spend money on Stridex pads though. I've also noticed that my attention span is getting a little erratic. I used to have no trouble working all day at my soul-sucking job, but now I'm already looking at the clock around 4:00 PM.

So, if you have Low-T and its making an impact on your life, get to the weight rack.

Chris

**Note: The only supplements I take are b12, Whey Protein, and L-Argenine. No juice of any type, whatsoever.**
**Sources for weightlifting and testosterone levels can be found at Livestrong.com, WEBMD.com, and Bodybuilding.com***

Replies

• Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Not exactly a subject that I feel is that easy for us guys to talk about, but definitely should be something for more open conversation.

Heck had my testosterone tested once and came back within normal range, so not sure how much the normal range is right for everyone. I'm really glad to hear that CrossFit and lifting have helped you with seeing positive results!
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Very good post. Women also have low libido with low testosterone levels, slight obesity, high insulin, and high cholesterol. Women's ovaries naturally produce a small amount of testosterone, which is linked to sex drive. This amount decreases with age. Naturally cross fit is the best way to increase these levels.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Excellent excellent excellent. Terrific post and great job by you, boosting your T the hardcore, all natural way!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Good for you man. Before I went on T-therapy my last two measurements were 205 ng/dl and 196 ng/dl and my E was 44. I tried to get back into exercise but just grabbing a chin-up bar and doing sets of chin-ups, push-ups, and some lower body plyometrics. I'd workout and then for the next 2 to 3 days I was wrecked, just exhausted. Getting out of bed was more exercise than I cared to do.

I've been doing T thereapy for almost two years now and my number averages around 700 ng/dl and most days I feel better. Aside from the T-injections the real difference maker in my mood and energy was the E-blocker Anastrozol. My first doctor had a more traditional approach and was giving me a 100mg dose every two weeks. By the Monday after the injection I was back to where I started, worn out and meanwhile I was just maintaining a high E level too. I finally found this Ageless Men's clinic and they put me on a better treatment system. Right now I'm doing 200mg's once a week and the E-blocker. I'm actually having a bad couple weeks and I had some blood work on Friday so we'll see what they say this week. It seems like a constant battle to stay steady.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    @Jnick, what state do you live in and how hard was it to get a script for test?
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Sir, I salute you. Not always easy for guys to talk openly about these things but I bet a few men or women will have a lightbulb moment when they read your post.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

Just go and get Testosterone blood work up done. Most Dr.'s will do it if you ask. You can also go to what they call "Aging Centers" and they do it there as well.

Now if you are low T, they'll most likely start you out on a gel before you bump up to injections. Just for the record.

Another route, though not recommended is the PH route. You can also look at some natural things like DAA or Fenugeek to raise test levels on top of the bump you get from working out.

Working out will always be the best way to bump your test levels, but for some men it's not enough. You really need to make sure you give it a couple months when you start working out before you look into any other methods.

Another thing that people seem to miss a lot on Testosterone levels.. SLEEP... SLEEP plays a HUGE part in your test levels.

Eat. Train Hard. Sleep enough.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be the only female to comment on this but that is remarkable. Good for you and it is nice to see such an intelligent post.
  • whitehairedguy64
    Options
    I'm an older guy and have low T and ED. When I was diagnosed with low T my number was off the bottom of the scale at 82. A woman had a higher testosterone level than I did. I've been on Testosterone therapy for 14 years. Started with injections once every two weeks. The problem with injections is the testosterone level peaks shortly after the injection and then decreases until the next injction when it peaks again. So it's up and down and up and down. I'm now using Androgel, a daily ointment that you apply to the muscluar part of your arm and or shoulder. Since this is a daily application, your body testosterone level stays level.

Belly fat for whatever reason adsorbs testosterone, so the more belly fat your have, the more testosterone your body will lose. As I've exercised and lost weight and inches around my waist, for the same dose of testosterone, my numbers have steadly climbed, to the part where my dosage has been reduced.

Unfortunately for me, my body stopped producing testosterone completely because my testicles stopped functioning for whatever reason. As a result, they have been steadily shrinking and this is not good for the male ego.

As for ED, there are a number of contributing factors including obesity, poor cardio-vascular function, stress, diet, etc., all associated with being out of proper physical condition and poor helth habits. I've found that exercise has helped in that area as well. Reduction of fat, including from the pelvic area and increased blood circulation help.

Testosterone levels start declining in a man at around age 30. I encourgae all men to get a test. It's a simple blood test and is easily done when getting typical cholesterol and blood sugar level tests. Ask your doctor to add a testosterone test the next time you have to have a blood test.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your contribution. Testosterone is very important to a man. Always lift heavy, rest little, and limit sets to 9 sets per body part, and most important, listen to your body. Believe it or not I known a few people who had testosterone lower than expected and as I reviewed what they were doing they were simply working out so hard and so long. They switched their eating habits, adjusted their diet, slept appropriately, and their testosterone moved closer to their normal range. That is usually low temporary levels of testosterone but there are people who are born like this genetically. At some age other people wonder why they feel weak, can't gain weight, no consistent strength gains, and try so hard and even with diet they get minimal results so they end up seeking advice from a doc, and when they get the lab results that were order by the endo's they found out that they may have issues related to the thyroid, and testosterone levels. Really important to listen to your body and know when something is wrong.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Just go and get Testosterone blood work up done. Most Dr.'s will do it if you ask. You can also go to what they call "Aging Centers" and they do it there as well.

Now if you are low T, they'll most likely start you out on a gel before you bump up to injections. Just for the record.

Another route, though not recommended is the PH route. You can also look at some natural things like DAA or Fenugeek to raise test levels on top of the bump you get from working out.

Working out will always be the best way to bump your test levels, but for some men it's not enough. You really need to make sure you give it a couple months when you start working out before you look into any other methods.

Another thing that people seem to miss a lot on Testosterone levels.. SLEEP... SLEEP plays a HUGE part in your test levels.

I wouldn't consider PHs, because they're too harsh on the body, and can't be used long term.
    Probably would just try to get a version of test (enanthate, prop, cypionate).
    Just thought the legal route would be the way to go.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Might be the best single post I've seen on here.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

I wouldn't consider PHs, because they're too harsh on the body, and can't be used long term.
    Probably would just try to get a version of test (enanthate, prop, cypionate).
    Just thought the legal route would be the way to go.

Depends on the PH you go with. If you are going something like superdrol then yes. Some of the liquid PH's (like pbold, 5aOHP, and etc.) and some of the dissolving ones don't have that extra pass through the liver that does the damage. It's the methylated ones that you have to worry about. Regardless of the route you take PCT is going to be key in order to not jack up test levels after you are off it. Unless you are planning to be on them the rest of your life. Regardless of the route you take you should be getting bloodwork and check ups from your DR.

Regardless always best to get checked out by a Dr.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    You may have had low testosterone, but you had the cahones to talk about it, and probably helped a bunch of guys who will never say a word about it.

I believe that makes you "da man." Cheers!

Also... once a day was low libido?! So many men are green with envy right now. Lol
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    Pro Hormones carry almost the same side effects as synthetic hormones such as water retention, conversion of testosterone to estrogen, and there have been cases where people have grown a pair of breast lol for no benefit at all. The chemicals in pro hormones are precursors to the real hormones. The conversation rate is usually extremely poor from 7%-11% if you get lucky. If pro hormones were so effective then they would be illegal basically. Now A.A.S are hormones themselves that you are using and are illegal for reason unless you know a good doctor of course. If you are thinking of going the non-natural route by bother with the same side effects, and little results.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is your dietary fat. Make sure you are getting adequate fat and (gulp) enough("some" may be a better suggestion) saturated fat.

A diet that is "too healthy" combined with rapid weight loss can sap your testosterone shots and your immune system. "Too healthy" meaning a diet with just fruits, veggies, and all lean protein that neglects fat (less than say 15% of your daily calories).

Your body needs fats for many reasons.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    Another thing to consider is your dietary fat. Make sure you are getting adequate fat and (gulp) enough("some" may be a better suggestion) saturated fat.

A diet that is "too healthy" combined with rapid weight loss can sap your testosterone shots and your immune system. "Too healthy" meaning a diet with just fruits, veggies, and all lean protein that neglects fat (less than say 15% of your daily calories).

Your body needs fats for many reasons.

Good advice bro. There is always a consequence when you take out something your body needs.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Love CrossFit!! Has helped me so much not only in getting back into shape but also mentally but just physically transforming - I've lost 27 pounds to date.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

I live in Nevada. It actually was very difficult to get the script done. They tested a million other things before they tested my T. Then I wanted them to test my E and they wouldn't so I went to an Aging center. I had just done so much reading on my own that I was like 99% sure I knew what it was and just wanted the blood-work done and that was a chore. Then the first test I had done my T was like 205 ng/dl or something like that, basically the basement of normal and I was only 32 at the time, and the doc said no I was in normal range. I was like, seriously? They re-tested me one more time and I was at 196. Honestly I think so much of the information that we have now has really just come out in the last year or two because many doctors are still grossly misinformed about how to treat this, they're behind the times.

It depends on your insurance. The gel's suck and are expensive plus they're dangerous to your partner because they can also absorb the T-gel from contact. I have decent insurance and the Gel was like $300/month versus $60/month for injections and $10 for the syringes. HUGE difference in price and effectiveness.

Unfortunately for me exercise just made me feel worse witch was really odd to me. If I did any exercise at all it just made me want to sit in bed for the next week. I actually got to the point where I wouldn't help my ex-wife bring in groceries because I was just that wiped out. I still very much struggle with my energy levels because of this.

Edit: For any guys concerned they may have Low-T get your Estrogen level checked as well. It might also be too high. Additionally, as you increase T you increase E and need to balance the two or you will still feel like *kitten*.