whole grains question...

I hear some people say whole grains like wheat pasta & wheat bread is good for you but then I hear people say stay away from carbs such as bread, rice, pasta etc

What is your opinion on this? I love toast for breakfast so I figured wheat toast & peanut butter shouldn't be bad.

Replies

• There are A LOT of misconceptions when it comes to carbs. Essentially what you want to do is include them in your diet if you know you're going to start eating them after you get your weight loss results. Stay away from refined carbs and refine sugars because they're stripped of the essential nutrients. Consume wholegrains if you are consuming carbs. When I look at the nutritional info on carb-based foods, I also have a look at the fiber content and try to eat carbs that are high in fiber. For example, I recently decided to change from consuming porridge oats to oatbran because the carbs are lower and the fiber is higher compared to porridge oats. Also, you'll find that wholegrains are sometimes higher in protein than the refined stuff.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    if you're gonna eat carbs, make em wholegrain. too many carbs is bad for everyone basically, unless you're a high-functioning athlete who needs them desperately, but they are useful and necessary. wholegrain is the lesser of 2 'evils' because fiber is awesome for you and they're usually less "processed". for example, organic whole wheat bread is gonna have the bare basics required to make a tasty bread (flour, yeast, milk, etc) whereas most whitebreads will have all the fiber stripped from the grain and have addins like sugar and hydrogenated oils.

dont eat too many carbs and make em wholegrain where you can, basically.