too few calories

Options
teelynn35
teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
I'm under 900 calories today. Not sure if I should stress or not. My dinner was a large salad w/ no cheese or croutons. I'm full. Should I force myself to eat more, or just let it go 1 day? I usually am over, because I LOVE to eat. I'm also just getting back on the wagon, after a couple week hiatus. I hate counting calories:)

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    i would wait and see how you feel in a few hours. Many times I will decide to have a snack at like 9pm....
  • PurpleAmharicCoffee
    Options
    If I fear that I've eaten under 1200 calories, I go and have some fruit, like an apple or a mandarin orange. That usually helps.
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm under 900 calories today. Not sure if I should stress or not. My dinner was a large salad w/ no cheese or croutons. I'm full. Should I force myself to eat more, or just let it go 1 day? I usually am over, because I LOVE to eat. I'm also just getting back on the wagon, after a couple week hiatus. I hate counting calories:)

I'm sure this will get people riled up but here I go. The first thing I learned in nutrition class is It is not safe to eat below your BMR. The goal for safe weight loss is to be above your BMR and below your TDEE. Doing so may have you lose weight fast, but if your goal is to lose fat and not lean body mass it's not a good idea. Additionally, it will make you highly susceptible to gaining weight back due to effects on hormone levels and metabolism. The Mayo Clinic recommends 1.5 to 2 lbs. a week.

Que the trolls.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I'm sure this will get people riled up but here I go. The first thing I learned in nutrition class is It is not safe to eat below your BMR. The goal for safe weight loss is to be above your BMR and below your TDEE. Doing so may have you lose weight fast, but if your goal is to lose fat and not lean body mass it's not a good idea. Additionally, it will make you highly susceptible to gaining weight back due to effects on hormone levels and metabolism. The Mayo Clinic recommends 1.5 to 2 lbs. a week.

Que the trolls.

It's very rare that I go under, I'm just curious if 1 day will have a reverse effect.
  • davidr730
    Options

Que the trolls.

It's very rare that I go under, I'm just curious if 1 day will have a reverse effect.

Don't sweat a day or two under your BMR. It all averages out over a few days. Besides, we never really know calories anyways. All we do is get close. Rounding rules on labels can make them off by as much as 10%. You'll do great!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just grab a snack in a couple hours. Fruit is the ticket!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

No, one day will not be a problem.

Otherwise, people would never be able to recover if they get the flu and can't eat for a day. :wink:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The first thing I learned in nutrition class is It is not safe to eat below your BMR.
    Where did you learn this ?

Odd that Google Scholar can find no such phrase.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I rarely bother with one-day stuff. I may be over one day and under on another. Instead, I look at my seven-day spreads. If I average 1475 calories, I've done exactly what I was supposed to do. I eat when I'm hungry and don't eat when I'm not. One day I may eat 1000 calories and another day 1900. So long as my average is where it's supposed to be, I'm happy.

In short: you're fine. Have a snack later if that's what you want. Otherwise, make sure you cover yourself later in the week.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Just have a snack. It's that simple. It's not safe to eat just 900 calories in a day.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options

No, one day will not be a problem.

Otherwise, people would never be able to recover if they get the flu and can't eat for a day. :wink:

Yes. Even my vet said something like that recently when I had to withhold food from my dog for two days. He laughed and said people always throw a fit it they can't eat for a day or two and act like they are going to die and they do the same if their pets can't eat. lol.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    If this happens regularly, it might be a good idea to keep some nuts on hand. A handful packs a good wallop in the calorie department with some healthy fats, protein and carbs.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    just relax... it's just one day. Don't sweat it.
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    one day won't hurt - it happens to us all.
  • davidr730
    Options
    The first thing I learned in nutrition class is It is not safe to eat below your BMR.

Sorry I didn't quote the text book for you. I did quote the professor though. Where did you get your degree from? I do love to learn from licensed dietitians.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If this happens regularly, it might be a good idea to keep some nuts on hand. A handful packs a good wallop in the calorie department with some healthy fats, protein and carbs.

Just one day is not a problem, Nuts or peanut butter is an easy small snack if you need it. Or some avocado added to your salad if you know your day is gonna be low.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Sorry I didn't quote the text book for you. I did quote the professor though. Where did you get your degree from? I do love to learn from licensed dietitians.

I think I :heart: you. :flowerforyou: