Cruelty Free products and food

Options
I am trying to look for products (cosmetics, household products, etc) that are considered "cruelty free" or "vegan." I have been doing some research about companies that perform animal testing and so far, it seems that almost every main company does it :( I would also like to start buying meats and dairy that are cruelty free as well.

Any ideas??? I would greatly appreciate it.

XOXO
Nikki

Replies

• momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am trying to look for products (cosmetics, household products, etc) that are considered "cruelty free" or "vegan." I have been doing some research about companies that perform animal testing and so far, it seems that almost every main company does it :( I would also like to start buying meats and dairy that are cruelty free as well.

XOXO
    Nikki

Try this: http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/default.aspx
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Urban Decay is a great makeup company that is dedicated to ending animal testing. They do not test their finished products on animals and require that the raw materials are non-animal-testing certified. Also, momtokgo posted a great link to PETA's list of companies that do not test on animals.

There is no such thing as cruelty-free meat or dairy. There are steps you can take to lessen conditions and cruelty, but meat and dairy, by nature, are cruel.
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Urban Decay is my go to for makeup. Not only are their vegan products explicitly labeled, none of the products are involved in animal testing. They are also amazing quality which is pretty hard to come by.

St Ives is also a great company which clearly labels that they do not test on animals and which products do not contain animal products or by-products.

For skincare I used a brand called Wyndmere aromatherapy. Most of their products used essential oils, are made in small batches, and are vegan. Nothing has ever worked better for my skin.

As daffofilsoup said, there really isn't a thing as humane meat or dairy. If it makes you feel better to buy free range, grass-fed products, I would recommend looking into your local community and farmers markets. Many of the ones we have around here will let you tour the farm and you can see the conditions in which you are getting your food. Most certainly less cruelty involved than supermarket meat.
  • alane15
    alane15 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'll looking for shampoo and conditioner too!
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'll looking for shampoo and conditioner too!

LUSH all the way!!! Okay or Aveda, but LUSH has amazing shampoo bars that last forever. The karma scent is my absolute favorite. As much as I love the shampoos, the conditioners are expensive and beyond my budget. I bought the liter bottles of Aveda Brilliant shampoo and conditioner last year and they lasted the entire year. I loved the conditioner more than anything I have ever used. I don't know Aveda's ingredient list well, but I do know they do not test on animals.

http://www.lushusa.com/Solid-Shampoos/solid-shampoos,en_US,sc.html
    http://www.aveda.com/products/5222/Collections/BrilliantTM/index.tmpl
  • Nikki8287
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I LOVE Urban Decay! I have their NAKED eye shadow palette among others. I recently bought a facial cleanser from www.nakedeyebeauty.com that is 100% vegan and of course is not animal tested. The bonus part was my purchase went towards a dog rescue :) My friend told me about LUSH and how great it is. I also downloaded the leaping bunny list on my iphone.

About the meats and dairy, I know its not completely cruelty free :( I actually do not eat pork or beef (I quit a month ago) and surprisingly do not crave it at all. Its the chicken and turkey that I would have a hard time letting go of. I wish I could give it all up. I hate the way the animals are treated. Regardless of being slaughtered, I still feel they should be able to live a good life. Like you suggested, I actually looked up some of the local farmers here in Missouri last week. I'm still doing research on it though. With the dairy and eggs, I would just like to make sure that they are free to roam and not being pumped with hormones. I was told that cows actually produce better tasting milk when they are NOT stressed. Is that true?
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Deleted because I'm not sure on this one.
  • Nikki8287
    Options
    Thank you so much for the link! It was very helpful <3
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You can get entire lines of cosmetics and skin care products that are not tested on animals at The Body Shop.

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/values-campaigns/against-animal-testing.aspx
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Lush is one of my fave places to go! They also just came out with some make up stuff too if I'm not mistaken. :)

And for the person who posted the willowbay site, I'm seriously thinking of buying a beer soap for my bf :D That just is too awesome!
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Look up Arbonne for skincare, cosmetics, supplements, and spa items. They are all botanically based, animal-free, no animal testing, and the products are amazing (and formulated in Switzerland and made in America). I started using them at the end of June, and I see a world of difference with my skin. They have shampoo, conditioner, body wash, even deodorants and toothpaste now! Google Arbonne.
  • crudelitas
    crudelitas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the Body Shop are now owned by L'Oreal who are famous for testing on animals so, to me anyway, they are a no go now.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    www.thekindlife.com

Be careful because beauty products say "This product was not tested on animals" but its bull! The product was not but all of the ingredients in the product were"

Also a lot of companies like Pureology were vegan then sold to Loreal or other huge companies that test on animals.

I LOATHE LUSH products. They are full of chemicals, phlalates and other cancer causing carcinogens. So be careful.

As far as I know Natures Gate, Alba and Jason are vegan and cruelty free. Look for the bunny on the label.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    bump
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump....interested to see what others have to say!
  • KellyMirth
    KellyMirth Posts: 153
    Options
    Try eatwild.com . They have lists of farms/ranches by location. Depending on where you're from, you should be fairly close to at least a few places that can help you out. I'm in Arizona and I still haven't found a place that does free-range chickens, although we did find beef/pork. Just fyi, it is more expensive but it's worth it to me. Good luck!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

XOXO
    Nikki

I use Pure Minerals and Nature's Harvest cosmetics.

http://www.purminerals.com/

http://store.natures-harvest.net/servlet/StoreFront

If you are looking for humanely raised and slaughtered meats and dairy products, you will have to seek out local farmers in your area.

None of the main stream grocery stores are going to carry anything but factory farmed foods. Hence the rate of re-calls on meats, produce, eggs, dairy, etc.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I LOVE Urban Decay! I have their NAKED eye shadow palette among others. I recently bought a facial cleanser from www.nakedeyebeauty.com that is 100% vegan and of course is not animal tested. The bonus part was my purchase went towards a dog rescue :) My friend told me about LUSH and how great it is. I also downloaded the leaping bunny list on my iphone.

About the meats and dairy, I know its not completely cruelty free :( I actually do not eat pork or beef (I quit a month ago) and surprisingly do not crave it at all. Its the chicken and turkey that I would have a hard time letting go of. I wish I could give it all up. I hate the way the animals are treated. Regardless of being slaughtered, I still feel they should be able to live a good life. Like you suggested, I actually looked up some of the local farmers here in Missouri last week. I'm still doing research on it though. With the dairy and eggs, I would just like to make sure that they are free to roam and not being pumped with hormones. I was told that cows actually produce better tasting milk when they are NOT stressed. Is that true?

Some things are harder to give up than others, and I applaud you for getting "off" pork and beef. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing transition, so don't be too hard on yourself about it.

What protein sources do you use? When I crave meat, I love a good chunk of seitan covered in mushroom gravy with a baked potato and some veggies or a slab of lentil loaf - it brings me back to that "meat and potatoes"-style dinner that I miss sometimes. As far as poultry goes, chicken-style seitan or Tofurky deli slices can be good substitutes.

With "free-range" eggs, you'll definitely have to stick to local farmers - and even then, be wary. As long as there is a door on the building, they can label eggs and poultry as "free range", even if the chickens are crowded into the building and rarely see sunlight.

I've never heard of cows producing better milk when they are not stressed, but the process of obtaining cow's milk for humans is inherently stressful because they systematically take their calves away so that it doesn't drink the milk produced to sell. I'd suggest watching the movie Earthlings - it really opened my eyes about the truths of dairy and how it goes hand-in-hand with the veal industry, which is something I didn't [knowingly] support, even when I ate meat.

I found unsweetened almond milk to be my favorite milk, even more than cow's milk - the unsweetened Silk almond milk is delicious and creamy, only 35 calories per cup and twice the calcium of cow's milk.
  • Nikki8287
    Options

Some things are harder to give up than others, and I applaud you for getting "off" pork and beef. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing transition, so don't be too hard on yourself about it.

What protein sources do you use? When I crave meat, I love a good chunk of seitan covered in mushroom gravy with a baked potato and some veggies or a slab of lentil loaf - it brings me back to that "meat and potatoes"-style dinner that I miss sometimes. As far as poultry goes, chicken-style seitan or Tofurky deli slices can be good substitutes.

With "free-range" eggs, you'll definitely have to stick to local farmers - and even then, be wary. As long as there is a door on the building, they can label eggs and poultry as "free range", even if the chickens are crowded into the building and rarely see sunlight.

I've never heard of cows producing better milk when they are not stressed, but the process of obtaining cow's milk for humans is inherently stressful because they systematically take their calves away so that it doesn't drink the milk produced to sell. I'd suggest watching the movie Earthlings - it really opened my eyes about the truths of dairy and how it goes hand-in-hand with the veal industry, which is something I didn't [knowingly] support, even when I ate meat.

I found unsweetened almond milk to be my favorite milk, even more than cow's milk - the unsweetened Silk almond milk is delicious and creamy, only 35 calories per cup and twice the calcium of cow's milk.

Yeeeaah...bout replacing my protein...I need to work on that. LOL! I need to start taking multi vitamins too. My doctor reminds me about that every time I see him. Is this Earthlings movie going to make me cry? I cry over everything. I do like almond milk, I've bought some before. My boyfriend drinks whole milk when he does drink it. He is also a meat lover, especially bacon. He happens to be a chef and told me that, vegans are chefs worst enemies lol. We are just going to have cooperate on each others' food habits.

The more I find out about all of this stuff, the more horrified I am. The truth is the truth though and I have the power to change the way I live :) Honestly, my dream has always been to open a animal sanctuary. I love animals.
  • Nikki8287
    Options
    I am so grateful for all of the replies and suggestions. They are a huge help and now I know what type of direction to go to. It's good to know that there are lots of compassionate people out there. :flowerforyou: