I work in a bakery... :(

Options
I work in a bakery, on the section baking doughnuts, cookies, danish pastries, croissants and basically all the yummy stuff...

I'm finding it very difficult at the moment, as previously I would have been nibbling on all these treats (hot from the oven) throughout my shift...

I am managing to resist but it's hell... does anyone else have any tips as to how to make it a little more bearable working with so much temptation?!

Replies

• Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    yes, Take Nutella to work..........................................................lol
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    OMG :noway: that would be so hard for me...I've often asked my bakery lady how she does it (btw she is skinnnnny). She said after a while of working there you get use to it & it's not as wonderful as you would of thought.

So try it & if you find the scale going up...then transfer to another department at that store.

Let the force be with you :glasses:
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    chew gum! then you can't eat the stuff anyways.

kinda an obvious answer i know.. but i always chew gum to stop from snacking.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I agree with Karleen. Chewing gum is how I resist when people bring stuff in the office and stop myself from stress eating. Oh and NEVER let yourself get hungry when you're working. It will make it much harder to say no.

You can resist. It may be hard but you can do it. :flowerforyou:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I work in a bakery, on the section baking doughnuts, cookies, danish pastries, croissants and basically all the yummy stuff...

I'm finding it very difficult at the moment, as previously I would have been nibbling on all these treats (hot from the oven) throughout my shift...

I am managing to resist but it's hell... does anyone else have any tips as to how to make it a little more bearable working with so much temptation?!
    :laugh: Quit.

Seriously, good luck, that's a tough one... Gum works, bring your tooth brush and brush your teeth, nothing tastes good after that.
  • vdpal
    vdpal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I always say I couldn't work in a bakery, I would be as big as a house. Goodluck to you. People do say that you build up a tolerance and it just isn't good anymore. I guess if it gets to be too much, go look for a different job.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    After a few months of healthy eating I am much less tempted by those goodies, especially after logging them when I do eat them. :grumble:

Don't go to work hungry, drink lots of water and chew gum. Eat healthy and if you do nibble make sure to log it in your diary. Over time you may find it's not worth it because there are so many other good things to eat that don't wreck your calorie count.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    <<Not a serious suggestion, possibly dangerous,,, but food for thought>>

Taste aversion?

One day just have donuts for lunch. Eat a dozen of them - maybe a few more. Eat enough that you don't even want to look at them anymore. 16 donuts in one day - probably 4000 calories, you'll gain a pound that day. And then you'll never want another one... Worth it? :huh:
  • silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Taste aversion?

One day just have donuts for lunch. Eat a dozen of them - maybe a few more. Eat enough that you don't even want to look at them anymore. 16 donuts in one day - probably 4000 calories, you'll gain a pound that day. And then you'll never want another one... Worth it? :huh:
    :laugh: That's what I was thinking. :laugh:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I would have to switch jobs. I love baked goods and can't resist the temptation. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

Taste aversion?

That's also what I was thinking.. I've heard many people that work in an eating establishment saying they couldnt' have x or y after working there for a while.

Or quit.

or change your mentality. Think that you body doesnt digest those dougnuts, baked goods. You eat them, and then they form together back inside your body..
    Reforming the dough in places you don't want. :tongue:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options

Taste aversion?

I was thinking take the most tasty pastry there that you love, and smother it in a food you don't like (tabasco sauce, sauerkraut, pickle juice) and then force yourself to at least take one bite. Might make a whole new association in your head.

If that doesn't work, put Vics cold vapor under your nose so you can't really smell it? Beats having someone give you a cold and getting stuffy.

Congrats on your will power thus far.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

I know how you feel, I work in a pizza restaurant! It's tough, but after a while of saying no, no, no, it becomes a habit and though the food still looks good to me, it's a bit easier to resist.
  • herky
    herky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    so do I!!!!! its just a part time job while going to college, but seriously it is so hard to resist snacking while im at work! but try eating before work so you aren't hungry, and ive noticed that the food doesn't look as good after a few weeks of resisting it. good luck!
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    think of how hard you will have to work to burn just one donut off....and it helps if you workout before work because you don't want to blow that hour of hard work. I used to work in a southern cooking restaurant while I was in college and that is what helped me.
  • chealey83
    Options
    Thanks everyone...

I tried chewing gum but I heard that if I do that too much it's bad for your stomach...

Aversion won't work... I can eat a LOT of pastries and the next day it's like it never happened and I could go again... I'm just hoping that once I have resisted for a while it will get easier... I guess not everybody who works with food is overweight so there must be something in it!

As for the breakfast thing, I start at 6am and really don't feel like anything more than a drink at that time... but I guess I have done it so far so it's not impossible to keep going... just difficult! :ohwell:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    The taste aversion idea may actually work.
    What first crossed my mind was chewing gum, but I like the taste aversion idea better.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I posted before I saw your response.
    What do you do in the bakery? Would your skills also apply to a less tasty work environment?
  • chealey83
    Options
    Unfortunately it's just as tasty in all parts of the bakery, and it doesn't help that literally everyone else nibbles stuff all day... although on a brighter note I only have to stick it out until early next year... I guess by then I will be an expert at saying no :smile:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...

I tried chewing gum but I heard that if I do that too much it's bad for your stomach...

Aversion won't work... I can eat a LOT of pastries and the next day it's like it never happened and I could go again... I'm just hoping that once I have resisted for a while it will get easier... I guess not everybody who works with food is overweight so there must be something in it!

As for the breakfast thing, I start at 6am and really don't feel like anything more than a drink at that time... but I guess I have done it so far so it's not impossible to keep going... just difficult! :ohwell:

:laugh: I'm with you on the taste aversion. I would have to eat a steady diet of it for MONTHS to not want pastries and even then it wouldn't last that long.

I'm pretty sure that the chewing gum thing is only true of gums containing sorbital, the sweetner in sugar free gum, which can have an.. um.. laxative.. effect when chewed continuously. I would recommend doing some research to find out for sure.