best workout to keep curves

Options
I'm getting married in two and a half months, and I want to tone but don't want to lose my curves. I heard pilaties is the best to tone you up and help you keep your curves. Is this true?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    sorry I'm not really sure what you mean. Why would you lose your curves?
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Take the word "tone" and throw it in the garbage. All it means is "burn fat" so that you can see the shape of your actual body underneath.

The only way you will lose fat and keep your curves is if it's in your genetics. Fat distribution will determine where fat stays when you start losing it. You might lose all the fat off your waist and thighs and be a big-boobed wide-hipped curve machine, or you may lose it off your hips first and be a bit more boxy in shape. There's no controlling it.

You can however lift heavy weights and develop 'curves' and muscle in places you want. Pilates won't do this, but pilates are still calorie burning and enjoyable.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    two and a half months isn't that much time, so you won't achieve miracles, or devastate your look unless you work really, really, really hard. that being said, cardio will burn fat, strength training will give you shape. combine the two for best results.
  • mwaid
    mwaid Posts: 19
    Options
    before I joined this website I already lost seventy pounds, I joined Myfitnesspal.com to maintain it for my wedding. I don't want to lose a bunch of weigh in two monthst, I only want to tone up my arms a bit and define my curves a bit more, that is why I thought maybe pilates would do the trick because it helped me lose the last of the seventy pounds back in '07. I've already been running a bunch( for about six months now), but I needed specific exercises to tone a little more. Thanks for the advice.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    curves are based on your genetics and body type, so your workout won't matter. an hourglass will be an hourglass regardless of type exercises, same with a pear shape
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well, maybe try the 30 Day Shred or something similar? You'll lose inches but not much weight. Your
    muscles will feel more defined and tight. It's worth a try-good luck w keeping your curves!!
  • Kalliejc
    Kalliejc Posts: 36
    Options
    Ugh! I've noticed that some of the responses on this website are more condescending than helpful :). I'll try to give a helpful two cents.

I would start lifting light dumb bells. I did 10 lb dumb bells, 3 sets of 12 - 5 different lifts (that target different muscle groups) every other day and my arms, shoulders and neck were sexy. You could do the "butterfly" chest weight thingy to build up your chest muscles.

I also think you're right about pilates.......it's worth a try. And congrats on the 70 lbs!!! :)
  • mwaid
    mwaid Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for that idea, Kalllejc, I have been using five pound and I was wondering if I just needed to go up to ten to push my self. I'm soo gonna try that. do you have specific strength training exercises that targeted your triceps that you could pass my way, that is the area I feel needs the most work?
  • sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Pushing your weight limits will not only help you to loose weight faster but will also help to build the muscles that will give you a nice shape
    I love weighted squats or lunges
  • griffx12
    griffx12 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I swear by Pilates it will make you look smaller than you are!!!
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest Jillian Michael's No More Troule Zones DVD.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I GET WHAT YOU MEAN,HERES MY 2 CENTS...DANCE,DANCERS HAVE GREAT BODYS,THEY STILL HAVE CURVES YET THEY ARE FIRM....DANCE! I DO IT EVERYDAY & LUV IT,YOU'VE DONE GREAT .KEEP UP THE GOOD WRK AND GONGRATS!!!/MOZZEL!!:happy: