Need advice from gym go-ers

Options
So I went to the gym today for the first time in years. (:bigsmile: yay!). My brother has been going 3 or 4 times a week for a couple of years, and he finally talked me into it. He exercises in a room that plays movies on a large screen and it is dark. The darkness is my favorite part about this room because I am incredibly self-conscious right now, and I feel more secure knowing people can't really see me. Silly, I know. But it is what it is.

The thing is, I would like to start running. I know I will have to start in slowly, probably walking/jogging. I keep hearing everyone talk about couch to 5K. Sounds great! But I have a couple of things I am not so sure about.

1) I literally don't know how to use the machines. I biked a little, and then moved to a treadmill. But I only walked. I varied my speed from 3.0-3.3 mph. That was a nice, brisk pace for me. I wanted to try jogging a bit, but I am afraid to go faster to start jogging. I am not really sure what speed to shoot for, and I didn't want to look like a stumbling fool trying to find out. What is a good pace to set for a light jog?

2) Biggest concern- Do you think the C to 5K program would be a nuisance to others around me? I am thinking that the constant speed up/slow down thing might be annoying to those around me, especially cuz of the beeping the machine makes. Don't forget- peeps are watching a movie. Although I am not sure how invested they actually are in the movies, or if they just like the dark and the distraction like me.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice about either of those points? Thanks so much!

Replies

• TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I would do what I needed to do after all they are at a GYM not a MOVIE THEATER
  • lyndall5311
    lyndall5311 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Great job for going to the gym!!! I know how daunting it can be.

Is there someone who works at the gym that is able to show you how to use the machines, and give you a good indication of what speed you should jog at? Otherwise if you were brisk walking at 3-3.3, I would try setting it to 4 for a jog, if its too fast/slow you can always adjust it.

As for the C25k, I wouldnt worry about what other people think of what you're doing, there are there to work out, and I would assume that most people would have ear-phones in. If the beeping really bothers them while they are trying to watch the movie - I say stuff them, they can watch it at home not at the gym.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    So I went to the gym today for the first time in years. (:bigsmile: yay!). My brother has been going 3 or 4 times a week for a couple of years, and he finally talked me into it. He exercises in a room that plays movies on a large screen and it is dark. The darkness is my favorite part about this room because I am incredibly self-conscious right now, and I feel more secure knowing people can't really see me. Silly, I know. But it is what it is.

The thing is, I would like to start running. I know I will have to start in slowly, probably walking/jogging. I keep hearing everyone talk about couch to 5K. Sounds great! But I have a couple of things I am not so sure about.

1) I literally don't know how to use the machines. I biked a little, and then moved to a treadmill. But I only walked. I varied my speed from 3.0-3.3 mph. That was a nice, brisk pace for me. I wanted to try jogging a bit, but I am afraid to go faster to start jogging. I am not really sure what speed to shoot for, and I didn't want to look like a stumbling fool trying to find out. What is a good pace to set for a light jog?

2) Biggest concern- Do you think the C to 5K program would be a nuisance to others around me? I am thinking that the constant speed up/slow down thing might be annoying to those around me, especially cuz of the beeping the machine makes. Don't forget- peeps are watching a movie. Although I am not sure how invested they actually are in the movies, or if they just like the dark and the distraction like me.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice about either of those points? Thanks so much!

1) Just slowly adjust the speed to where you're jogging and find out what that speed is for you. It's different for everyone, and it will be slow at first. As you progress you'll get faster. You can also increase the intensity by varying the incline if you're not up to jogging right away, just up the incline to build endurance during the run parts.
    2) Don't worry about this at all. Lots of people do treadmill intervals, and if it bothers people they will have headphones on. I honestly can't even imagine being annoyed at someone changing speed near me. Use the machines however you need to- Do you girl!

And just an all-around tip- if you feel self conscious, you can always go at off-hours to the gym. If you ask the pople at the desk they'll tell you when it's not busy- at my gym friday evenings, saturday afternoons and weekdays mid-day are generally safe bets.
  • LittleRedBird18
    LittleRedBird18 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement, everyone! My brother usually goes mid morning, and I am gonna try to tag along with him as much as possible. I would think that would not be a super busy time. Next time I go, I will give it a whirl and try it out. Thanks for advice on the speed. I feel stupid asking such questions, but being so new to all of this is daunting. But everyone on this site is so nice! I am so thankful that I stumbled upon this site by accident. Such a blessing!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    We've all been in the same position of being a self conscious newbie. All of us. As far as the treadmill, increase it a little bit each time, until you find a comfortable speed. You've gotta be in it for the long haul, so don't be in a hurry to seem like you know what you are doing...ask the staff in the gym if you have a question...that's what they are there for.
    I walk sometimes...Walking is fine for fat loss, you don't have to run...I don't really like running but I did find that I really enjoy biking...Good luck, you are on the right track!
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    A couple of ideas:

-See if there is a trainer or employee that can show you how all the machines work (love this about the YMCA)
    -Don't worry about noise, this is a gym after all =)
    -Typically at around 4.0 I break stride from brisk walk into jog... this will vary depending on your leg length and stride, but I suggest slowly increasing the speed (start at say 3.5) until you break stride.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    A couple of ideas:

-See if there is a trainer or employee that can show you how all the machines work (love this about the YMCA)
    -Don't worry about noise, this is a gym after all =)
    -Typically at around 4.0 I break stride from brisk walk into jog... this will vary depending on your leg length and stride, but I suggest slowly increasing the speed (start at say 3.5) until you break stride.

Thanks so much! I will try to slowly increase next time I go and see where I break stride. I might find someone outside of the movie room to help me out. You are the second person to suggest that, and for some reason I hadn't considered it yet, lol.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Whatever pace you're comfortable at is a good pace. I started jogging at 4.2 - yep - just barely faster than some people's walking speed. Worked for me. Start low, then bump it up by .1 every 30 seconds or so until you find your happy pace.

If they want to watch a movie, I'm sure they all have tvs at home or could go to a theater. Beep away.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I don't mind biking, but for some reason I have wanted to try out running for about a year now. For years I have had these dreams where I start to run, and I end up feeling so free and strong. I just love the feeling in the dreams, and I guess I am hoping maybe a little of that will transfer to real life, lol. Although I never get sore in my dreams :). I have never been very athletic, but it is worth a try, I suppose. The worst thing that could happen is that I hate it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

1) Just slowly adjust the speed to where you're jogging and find out what that speed is for you. It's different for everyone, and it will be slow at first. As you progress you'll get faster. You can also increase the intensity by varying the incline if you're not up to jogging right away, just up the incline to build endurance during the run parts.
    2) Don't worry about this at all. Lots of people do treadmill intervals, and if it bothers people they will have headphones on. I honestly can't even imagine being annoyed at someone changing speed near me. Use the machines however you need to- Do you girl!

And just an all-around tip- if you feel self conscious, you can always go at off-hours to the gym. If you ask the pople at the desk they'll tell you when it's not busy- at my gym friday evenings, saturday afternoons and weekdays mid-day are generally safe bets.

1. Agree
    and
    2. Agree

Would add that you should ask someone at the gym to show you how to safely use the equipment. Even something as simple as the bikes have adjustments that could lead to painful joints if you don't adjust them for your height and posture. Just like Bean said, find the speed you feel safe and comfortable, and challenge yourself a bit more each workout. Only one person in the gym has to be satisfied with your pace.

And she's right. Almost everyone in that section is wearing headphones, and if not, who cares. As long as you're taking up just one station in a gym, it's YOUR station, to do with as you please. Change the speeds, start and stop, walk and sprint, do curls in the squat rack, whatever. No one else gets to judge. Nor will they, outside of a few petty threads.

You make a good point about it being a movie room, but it's a movie room in a gym, inside a cardio area. I imagine it's similar to the Mommy and Me movies I went to after my first daughter was born. Babies all over, changing table right in the aisle, screamers and criers and nursing going on. Yeah, I guess a movie was playing during all that distraction, but whatever.

Get your workout on.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    when i started the couch to 5k i did it on the treadmill. it was the easiest way to change the speed up to what i needed. i jogged at the 5.0 speed, but i suspect starting as low as 4.5 might be wise, just to see how it goes (5.0 is a 12 min mile pace). i walked at 3.5 or so for the 'rest' periods.

look, the first few weeks are tough, and kind-of embarrassing and uncertain. but if you keep at it, you will be running 3 miles in 12 weeks. 12 weeks!! it's amazing. good luck!!
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options

Whatever pace you're comfortable at is a good pace. I started jogging at 4.2 - yep - just barely faster than some people's walking speed. Worked for me. Start low, then bump it up by .1 every 30 seconds or so until you find your happy pace.

If they want to watch a movie, I'm sure they all have tvs at home or could go to a theater. Beep away.

Thanks. I will try bumping it up by .1 every 30 seconds and see how it goes. And I think I have been thoroughly convinced that it is ok to make noise in there. So beep away I will!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have personal trainers. Might be worth it to invest in one session to set some goals and have him/her show you how to properly use the machines. I did this when I started. It was $50.00 for an hour, and I felt more comfortable having someone walk me through a routine based on my personal goals.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am doing the couch to 5K on the treadmill. I highly recommend it. They have a treadmill version that gives you all the times to switch from walking to running - or you can download something. I just take my little paper square with me, although I have the podcast downloaded.

I was SCARED to start running the first time. The first day I mostly just walked very fast during the run times. But then I just went ahead and did it! Now I'm on Week 6!

I see a LOT of people at my gym switching up from walking to running repeatedly - I always want to know if they are doing C25K too! It's a gym - you're there to do your thing - the movie is just a bonus - Beep away!

Love the idea of movies. My gym has some pretty crappy tv a lot of the time. I don't watch sports and every sunday they play the same infomercials!
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    I am doing the couch to 5K on the treadmill. I highly recommend it. They have a treadmill version that gives you all the times to switch from walking to running - or you can download something. I just take my little paper square with me, although I have the podcast downloaded.

I was SCARED to start running the first time. The first day I mostly just walked very fast during the run times. But then I just went ahead and did it! Now I'm on Week 6!

I see a LOT of people at my gym switching up from walking to running repeatedly - I always want to know if they are doing C25K too! It's a gym - you're there to do your thing - the movie is just a bonus - Beep away!

Love the idea of movies. My gym has some pretty crappy tv a lot of the time. I don't watch sports and every sunday they play the same infomercials!

Week 6! Nice job. I really wanna try it. How do you get your hands on the treadmill version?
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    when i started the couch to 5k i did it on the treadmill. it was the easiest way to change the speed up to what i needed. i jogged at the 5.0 speed, but i suspect starting as low as 4.5 might be wise, just to see how it goes (5.0 is a 12 min mile pace). i walked at 3.5 or so for the 'rest' periods.

look, the first few weeks are tough, and kind-of embarrassing and uncertain. but if you keep at it, you will be running 3 miles in 12 weeks. 12 weeks!! it's amazing. good luck!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I will probably have to start lower. Wallking at 3.3 mph was pretty fast for me. I don't want to fall off of the treadmill, haha. But who knows? Maybe there is this speedy runner inside of me somewhere.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options

1. Agree
    and
    2. Agree

Would add that you should ask someone at the gym to show you how to safely use the equipment. Even something as simple as the bikes have adjustments that could lead to painful joints if you don't adjust them for your height and posture. Just like Bean said, find the speed you feel safe and comfortable, and challenge yourself a bit more each workout. Only one person in the gym has to be satisfied with your pace.

And she's right. Almost everyone in that section is wearing headphones, and if not, who cares. As long as you're taking up just one station in a gym, it's YOUR station, to do with as you please. Change the speeds, start and stop, walk and sprint, do curls in the squat rack, whatever. No one else gets to judge. Nor will they, outside of a few petty threads.

You make a good point about it being a movie room, but it's a movie room in a gym, inside a cardio area. I imagine it's similar to the Mommy and Me movies I went to after my first daughter was born. Babies all over, changing table right in the aisle, screamers and criers and nursing going on. Yeah, I guess a movie was playing during all that distraction, but whatever.

Get your workout on.

Thanks! Yesterday I started biking, so next time I will ask someone how to adjust the settings.