Favorite Stephen King movie/book?

Options

Replies

• Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    One thing I've noticed in his older scarier books, unless it was something "concrete" (the kid in firestarter, the dog in cujo, the car in Christine) there are so many things that he puts in them that I can come up with something that is so much scarier in my mind than what they put on the screen.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Are the books scarier than the movies?
  • stumpycow
    stumpycow Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Shawshank Redemption is my absolute favorite movie.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    My least favorite was that crappy thing he wrote for his daughters about fairy dragons or something. I'm probably remembering this wrong, but I remember being disappointed.

Everything else that I've read under his name was great.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I loved the ending of "The Mist"! It blew my mind!

I liked it too but my husband HATED it. He walked out of the theater actually pissed off. So I made him read the last few pages of the book. He liked that ending better. lol
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

oh yeah!!!!
  • sunnybug90
    Options

I think so yes.

A specific tale in Everything's Eventual scared the crap out of me more then any of the movies and I'm pretty sure they could never re-create what I imagined. Its called The Man in the Black Suit.
  • sunnybug90
    Options
    I loved the ending of "The Mist"! It blew my mind!

I liked it too but my husband HATED it. He walked out of the theater actually pissed off. So I made him read the last few pages of the book. He liked that ending better. lol

I was also infuriated by the movie ending :laugh:
  • nalfavi
    nalfavi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For movies, I enjoyed Bag of Bones (miniseries, I know, but still) and The Mist. For reading, The Mist (again) and all his shorts in Skeleton Crew, as well as Under the Dome. Currently reading The Stand (I can't get into it and keep putting it down), but also have 11/22/63 and Duma Key.

I hated the ending in the movie the Mist, I SO wish they would have made it true to the book. It fits so much better I believe, and is truer to Kings storytelling.

I really wish they would make Under the Dome into a movie, but I doubt it will even be a mini series. With it's main story content I think it would be a little too "real" for most people's comfort zones. The ending in that one didn't thrill me either (the cause of the dome) but was still a very unsettling story.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Maybe insomnia, the stand, duma key was good & cell, just finished Needful things that was good....I don't know if I could pick a favourite! book always over film though!
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    Favorite book would have to be "IT" but my favorite thing he has written was a short story I believe it was called, "Rage."
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Shawshank Redemption and The Shining
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Movie: Misery
  • Elizaj85
    Elizaj85 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Misery - film & loved the book
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    IT scared the crap out of me when I was a kid :laugh:
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Dolores Claiborne book - loved how the dialect was written

Movie - Carrie -
  • wilted_daisies
    Options
    Favourite books are The Stand and It... closely followed by Pet Semetery

Favourite movies are Carrie and Christine,.... these two movies were done really well.... also Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption and Misery were reasonable adaptations from the books too... books are always best though
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I loved Rose Madder, 'Salem's Lot, and the Bachman Books.
  • issydabrat
    Options
    My fave book is a hard call but I will go with The Talisman - Love the journey in that book. Movie is another hard call so I will go with my first love Christine.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The Stand, full version of the book, is my desert island book

The mini series of the Shining was much better than the film, and stuck closer to the book than the film did.

martyx