Pasta...it makes me mad!!

Options

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I absolutely refuse to give up pasta! I have switched to Ronzoni Smartaste. Tons of yummy recipes out there from Cooking Light, Eating Well, and Skinnytaste and such. Google is your friend!! Measure, measure, measure!! and keep it within your calorie goal. I do not know if the other posters were being silly or not, but I strongly suggest against skipping other meals just to have it. You can work this into your calorie goal!!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    My Barilla Plus Thin Spaghetti is 210 calories for 2 oz.....now that's 2 oz dry which makes about 1 C of pasta. Remember that the calories for the oz on the back are for dry pasta and it cooks up to be more.

I also add 6 Market Pantry Turkey meatballs (Target) for 130 calories and 1/2 C of sauce usually around 70 calories depending on brand. I also like to chop up veggies and add those in and it never add more than about 30-50 calories.

It's a pretty big size plate for under 500 calories!!!! YUMMY!!!
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I will dice up eggplant, zucchini, squash and use those instead of (or in addition to) pasta. I have also added broccoli, Peppers, spinach, cauliflower, used spaghetti squash, tried (and loathe) whole wheat pasta. If you toss in some yummy veggies, then you add some bulk and fiber, while not making the calorie count much more. And, it is pretty tasty.
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Ronzoni Garden Delight Rontini or Ronzoni Garden Delight Spagetti. They both have less calories then regular pasta and also give you a serving a veggies. I also heard that Barilla 100% Wheat noodles are a better option then regualr noodles as well. I have a salad first and then eat the pasta and it really fills you! Hope it helps!
  • kristalou
    kristalou Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can put away like a half a box of pasta! It is a trigger food for me, so I feel your pain! The whole wheat pastas are good, but like another poster said - my hubby won't eat it (and I'm not going to tempt myself by buying a box. I have been buying the Ronzoni Pasta Portions. They come in little baggies that you can boil or even cook in the microwave for only 5 minutes! It is just enough to fill you, but the calories are only 320. I toss all kinds of low fat stuff in there, depending on what I have left in terms of calories. I highly recommend them, pasta lovers!
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    My question is do you use a measuring cup for 1 cup of pasta or do you using a food scale for 8 oz?
  • movn4ward
    movn4ward Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I add spaghetti squash to the spaghetti it helps.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My question is do you use a measuring cup for 1 cup of pasta or do you using a food scale for 8 oz?

I don't know if you're asking that directly to the OP or if you need this info, so I'll answer as if you need the info just in case. :-)

If it's dry, you weigh 2 oz. If it's cooked, you measure 1 cup.

1 cup of anything not liquid is not necessarily 8 oz. That is only a liquid measurement when using a measuring cup.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    whats so bad about 380 calories?
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    whats so bad about 380 calories?
    That was my thought!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, when I log my spaghetti, one cup of noodles comes in at 220 calories. I guess you are including meat with that?
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have seen people on here talking about quinoa pasta, I have looked for it and cant find it. Is anyone else eating quinoa pasta and if so, is it less calories?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast/lunch/snacks, eat more pasta, profit

This is soooo my plan when I make pasta!

It is *my* plan when I cook Mexican! :love:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    when i started measuring out portions, i was also surprised about how little a serving of pasta was. not too mention the sauce and the meat in it, and the cheese on top. but once i realized "hey, this is what i should be eating" i got over it pretty quick.

what i had been used to eating was at least three serving on one plate. pasta is still one of those things that i could binge on with out a problem. so i serve myself one serving, and i also add a serving of cooked up zucchini to help add more volume to it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Eat it on lifting days so it goes to recovery as opposed to the hips?

Simple solution I think!

I'll eat 1/2 cup (uncooked) easily after a weight session.
    All the nutrients go to recovery and repair of the muscle!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Eat it on lifting days so it goes to recovery as opposed to the hips?

Simple solution I think!

I'll eat 1/2 cup (uncooked) easily after a weight session.
    All the nutrients go to recovery and repair of the muscle!

dude, you're supposed to cook the pasta before eating it. i guess you really like it al dente.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I like to eat cauliflower in place of pasta.
  • determined_01
    Options
    While we are talking about pasta....weigh it before cooking or after???? I have always wondered .....
    I have always weighed it after cooking...
  • determined_01
    Options
    Hmmm, when I log my spaghetti, one cup of noodles comes in at 220 calories. I guess you are including meat with that?
    my spaghetti is 50g per serving which is 1.7 oz at 190 cal. i measure by oz not cups i find it to be a little more accurate. But if you dont have a digital scale it can be difficult.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    While we are talking about pasta....weigh it before cooking or after???? I have always wondered .....
    I have always weighed it after cooking...

You're doing it wrong. No wonder your serving is so small -- and you're eating far fewer calories than you think. You weigh BEFORE cooking.